PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

NEW ARTICLE: Alabama QB Mac Jones Says He and the Patriots “Had a Good Conversation”

PatsFans.com Article

Pro Bowl Player
Reaction score
Alabama QB Mac Jones Says He and the Patriots “Had a Good Conversation”
Ian Logue
With the Patriots still pondering their quarterback options this offseason, it sounds like they've already done some due diligence on one of the prospects in the upcoming draft.

Continue reading...

(If you enjoyed this entry - hit the Thumbs Up/If not, hit the Thumbs down in this thread)

Damn shame if he doesn't play on Saturday...Would've been nice to see him perform outside of his comfort zone.

Damn shame if he doesn't play on Saturday...Would've been nice to see him perform outside of his comfort zone.
I haven't seen anything that he is not playing. He has already proven all week, playing with unfamiliar, and probably lesser talents than he had at Alabama. I'm afraid that Carolina will pounce on him at #8 since they have been coaching him all week. Lots will happen in Free Agency that will affect the draft.

I can confirm that Jones has an ankle injury that occurred late in Thursday's practice. He was seen noticeably limping. This may indeed keep him out of Saturdays game.

Really like him, yes he had insane WRs but that shouldn't discount his ability to read a defense, move in the pocket, etc. That said he is not really the "dual threat" prototype many teams clamor for. #15 isn't crazy but I feel like he would probably be around later.

So many QB needy teams, I don't see Jones making it out of round one. Should be interesting.

Last edited:
Really like him, yes he had insane WRs but that shouldn't discount his ability to read a defense, move in the pocket, etc. That said he is not really the "dual threat" prototype many teams clamor for. #15 isn't crazy but I feel like he would probably be around later.
He had insane WRs last year when he played. He had 2 this year, one who missed most of the year. Great OL, one extremely good RB who could also catch passes. No TE to speak of. After the Waddle injury, the depth of Bama’s skill players was more limited. Jones still crushed it. And the dual threat thing is overrated in the NFL, when Tom Brady is still going to SBs at age 43. Jones plays like an NFL QB. People are going to want to see him hit those 15-20 yard tight windows, but there are QBs headed for the first round that I think are less likely to do that than Jones.

I'm actually fine with any of the 3 Senior Bowl guys on that team. Mond, Newman, Jones. All have upside

I don’t think we’re going to get a very good vet QB, so we may as well go after the rookie QB we think will be best for us. If it’s Mac Jones, I’m fine with that. I don’t want to do another year of Cam or Fitzgerald or whoever without a plan for a better 2022.

Mac Jones stinks.
I don’t know if I’d go that far, but there are some big question marks. We really have no idea how he would do without a bunch of future pros blocking for him, running for him, and catching his balls (heh). In that same vein, I have questions about Lance. By the time the season kicks off, it’ll be two years since he last played and his highlight reel is basically him running over future Whole Foods employees while throwing a nice ball here and there.

I don’t know if I’d go that far, but there are some big question marks. We really have no idea how he would do without a bunch of future pros blocking for him, running for him, and catching his balls (heh). In that same vein, I have questions about Lance. By the time the season kicks off, it’ll be two years since he last played and his highlight reel is basically him running over future Whole Foods employees while throwing a nice ball here and there.
Actually, there will be a bunch of pros blocking for him, running for him and catching his balls. The issue will be there will be pros on the other side now.

Actually, there will be a bunch of pros blocking for him, running for him and catching his balls. The issue will be there will be pros on the other side now.
That’s what I basically meant to convey. Either way, he won’t be throwing to guys who are wide open on every single drop back anymore.

That’s what I basically meant to convey. Either way, he won’t be throwing to guys who are wide open on every single drop back anymore.
Right, but there are question marks about any vet we’d get, too. Brisset, Fitzgerald, even Jimmy G all have big question marks and none of them are long-term solutions. I just think we need to find a draft prospect we can get that we can win with. If it’s not Jones, I hope they know who it is.

Burrow had Justin Jefferson. Lawrence and Tua threw to 1st round WRs. I love it. I hope Mac keeps getting ranked below 4 other guys. Not playing in the senior bowl is excellent. I'm imagining a CIA type of clandestine chat with Mac during his Patriots interview and suddenly his ankle is hurt. Excellent.

Last edited:
If we traded down from 15 for pick 19 and 82, at 19, we could take qb Jones or dt barmore.

the Alabama connection could be good for us.
Its not a bad idea. Get Pat Freiermuth at 47. I think Mac + Fre and a FA WR could really set this team up well for 2022. I still want a vet QB for 2021+

MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Back