PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

NEW ARTICLE: MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info

PatsFans.com Article

Pro Bowl Player
Reaction score
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Mark Morse
It has been well documented that the Patriots need a QB, a game changing Wide Receiver or two, and a starting Left Tackle. But a 4-13 team needs more than just those three positions. Let’s take a dive into those other needs as well as the prioritization of the top three needs.

The post MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info appeared first on PatsFans.com.

Continue reading...

(If you enjoyed this entry - hit the Thumbs Up/If not, hit the Thumbs down in this thread)

QB is my #2 priority.
This tidbit I got from Scott Pioli. He thinks the Patriots might draft two QB’s.

Interesting. Trade down and pick one of Nix/Penix/Rattler, plus Joe Milton?

They need a young, plug and play Left Tackle which they can build their line around for the next 10 years. Pair the LT with RT Michael Onwenu and you have a good start. The Patriots had 9 different starting line combinations during the season. The Bills consequently had the same starting 5 on the line for the entire season. Get back to establishing the run and make it easier on the QB with play-action passes.

This would go hand-in-hand with the idea above of trading down. Waiting until #34 for an OT and there's a very good chance the Patriots do not get a player capable of starting at left tackle, despite the position being very deep in this draft.

I am not sold on Cole Strange

The majority will agree with Mark, but I will respectfully disagree. Strange was injured before the season began, and should have been placed on IR. In my opinion throw out Strange's 2023 performance because of that. Let's see how he performs in 2024.

Backups at both Guard and Tackle positions are needed. David Andrews is back for what should be his final season. He had some injuries last season and that may be associated with age. It’s time to draft his replacement and a Guard that can play Center too would be a good choice.

Yes backups are needed, but the interior offensive line should be just about the last of the Pats priorities. The team already has David Andrews replacement at center: Jake Andrews. And if they draft two offensive tackles then Onwenu can slide inside to guard, where he is better suited. That in turn allows one of Sow/Strange to take over left guard, and the other to be their backup.

The Patriots WR Corp is one of the slowest and lack agility.
WR is my #3 priority.

Those two sentences sum up how completely bare the cupboards were on this roster - that the WR position is this bad, yet at the same time only a #3 priority.

The Patriots signed Antonio Gibson as a third-down receiving back, but he is not so much a runner. The Patriots need another running back or two.

Running back is a position that hasn't been talked about much. I'd love to see that Pats pick up some combination of Will Shipley, Isaac Guerendo and Dylan Laube. Isaiah Davis from South Dakota State is another late round possibility. Stevenson will be a free agent and has been overused, averaging more than 16 touches per game the last two seasons. That works out to 277 times per year he's getting tackled, plus the number of times he's blocking oncoming pass rushers. He's a free agent next year, and by then the tread will be worn low. Get his replacement now.

Both the Patriots TEs will turn 30 during the season. Neither are blockers. The Alex Van Pelt offense often requires 2 or 3 TEs. Drafting a couple of TE’s is a distinct possibility.

To me TE and RB are priorities number 3a and 3b. There's a fair amount of good Day Three tight ends that should be available, like A.J. Barner, Erick All and Tip Reiman.

I wouldn’t spend any draft capital on Defense.

I wouldn't go that far, but I do agree that the offense is a much bigger priority. Jarrian Jones is an early Day Three possibility at CB; if they wait later maybe M.J. Devonshire or Deantre Price. What is the plan at free safety? Perhaps Trety Taylor in the 7th? Other potential late round gems might be DT Logan Lee and OLB Zion Tupuola-Fetui.

Great lead, Mark, on Bub Means. I have him in my mock draft at 231. But he’ll probably be picked before then.

Excellent read. One very minor quibble:

"...If I was to draft players on Defense it would be a Safety/Cornerback..."

Agree. I would actually prefer one of each, a Free Safety & an Outside CB. Don't understand why this FO didn't at least re-sign GreenHead Mills, who accepted < $2M from his favorite team, the Philthy Fecals, to return.

"...or Linebacker that can play special teams."

No. If I somehow have acquired enough picks to be able to afford to use one of them this year on a LB, then the reason must be for his Linebacking ability; Special olympics Teams can GFI. One name to keep an eye on during Day 3 is the Ohio State kid Eichenberg...

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Back