PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Now that the '07 band is (almost) back together...

THE HUB FOR PATRIOTS FANS SINCE 2000

MORE PINNED POSTS:
Replies:
OT: Bad news - "it" is back...
Replies:
Very sad news: RIP Joker
Replies:
2023/2024 Patriots Roster Transaction Thread
Replies:
Asking for your support

Will the 2012-13 Patriots beat the 2007 Patriots record of 589 points?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Too many variables to really be able to predict. The 2012 offense could be markedly better, but just call the dogs off earlier and fall short of the point total.
Lets hope they out score the 2007 Game 19 offense in Game 19.

This is truly what it comes down to, no disrespect to the OP or anyone who wants to see a record setting offense in every game this year.

Personally, I don't care if they lose the first 6 games and score an average of a FG per game during that streak; as long as they are able to turn it on at the right time and win that elusive SB that suddenly feels like forever ago.

Ball control, percentage of run plays, effectiveness of the rush game, limiting injuries, potential for lead in the 4th quarter etc all would come play as factors when trying to determine this--although that's a very 'boring' answer to give.

The Saints beat the Colts by putting up 31 points. Obviously the best of all worlds is a solid offense and a solid defense, but statistical history shows us that it's a lot easier to win the Super Bowl despite giving up more than 3 touchdowns than it is to win it when scoring 17 points or fewer yourself. Furthermore, only one Super Bowl winner has ever scored fewer than 16 points (72 Dolphins), but Super Bowl losers have scored more than 25 points 3 times.

The Saints offense put up 24 points. Which is good even though the '09 Colts defense wasn't exactly the Steel Curtain. But still it's not an explosion. And you're going off just super bowls, but in order to get there you have to win 2-3 other games too. That's my point is racking up huge points 3-4 straight times pretty much never happens. Obviously it does go the other way too unless you're the '01 Ravens or '85 Bears you should plan on scoring more than 14-17 PPG. I guess the '01 Pats offense got away with (13, 10, and 10 points scored not related to defensive/ST TD's or drives starting already in FG range during those playoff games) it but that's not your typical champion.

Point is you can't rely solely on your strength at some point you'll have to rely on your weakness as well. I'd like to see more sustained drives and a defense that can get off the field quicker, not necessarily 35-45 points put up. And hopefully with the deep run last year we're gaining enough experience to make some of these guys better playmakers in the clutch.

Don't really see that materializing unless Addai craps out and Faulk can't answer the bell and they really feel they have to have a veteran presence not to mention neither FB make the roster. Maybe he remains on speed dial, but I'd sense a reunion would be a step backwards.

I'm calling it. 4800 yards and at least 40 touchdowns for Brady. Lots of TDs to the tight ends and even distribution throughout the wide receivers.

I doubt it. The talent is there and the schedule easy enough but that year they were coming off a loss that caused Belichick to put the pedal to the floor and never let up, as well as the desire to ram all the camera gate crap down everyone's throats, and I don't see the looking at it like that this season. As others have said they will look for more balance and ball control and not to hang 60 on every opponent.

I'm calling it. 4800 yards and at least 40 touchdowns for Brady. Lots of TDs to the tight ends and even distribution throughout the wide receivers.

That's basically a regression for Brady. ;)

I don't see them even attempting it.

In 2007 they we're angry about the whole camera thing,
So Bill was giving a big FU to the rest of the league and media.

This year they'll still try to score every time they have the ball, but I expect more running on 1st and 2nd down with a big lead than they did in 2007.

Like everyone's stated in this thread...BB doesn't have the "FU" card to play this coming season. And another factor that made the 2007 year so great was it was Moss's first year with us....teams simply had NO idea how to stop the juggernaut as there was no film and nothing to study. Brady/Moss/Welker of 2007 was something no team in the NFL has ever seen before and our opponents simply didn't know what to do. It caught the NFL off guard and by surprise. combine that with BB playing the FU card and, IMO, is the main reasons why 2007 turned into such a massacre.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore