PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

O/T: Very sad news **** Butkus passes away

RIP ****

I was 11 years old and working at my father's antique shop on the route to Bar Harbor, Maine/Acadia National Park in the 70's. He stopped in. I was alone, nobody else there. He introduced me to himself and I had no clue who he was. When my father got to the shop I told him about the meeting. Dad said son do you know who that was? You should have asked for his autograph. I remember that day well.

RIP **** Butus. It was you that introduced me to pro football

My boyhood hero, a true old-school legend. My dad did a painting of him that remains a prized possession. It's strange to ponder, but 80 doesn't seem that old these days.

I was 11 years old and working at my father's antique shop on the route to Bar Harbor, Maine/Acadia National Park in the 70's. He stopped in. I was alone, nobody else there. He introduced me to himself and I had no clue who he was. When my father got to the shop I told him about the meeting. Dad said son do you know who that was? You should have asked for his autograph. I remember that day well.

Wow. Any idea what he was doing, maybe on vacation? Did he buy anything? I'm also curious why he told you who he was.

Wow. Any idea what he was doing, maybe on vacation? Did he buy anything
Wow. Any idea what he was doing, maybe on vacation? Did he buy anything? I'm also curious why he told you who he was.
I can't recall that he bought anything. At the time we had a yard full of horse drawn wagons and carriages and that was what drew him in. It seems I do recall he said he was headed to Acadia for vaca but my memory isn't what it used to be. But I'll never forget it. he shook my hand and to me he was huge.

Right before game day! I guess he was tired of watching the dumpster of a fire the bears franchise has become.

In all seriousness, RIP!

I remember Brady running with the ball against the Bears, and with Butkus zeroing in for the traditional QB slide, Tom instead of going into a QB slide deeked Butkus and continued running. I think he knew following the game that he'd never be able to do that again without getting killed because of Butkus's long memory.

I remember Brady running with the ball against the Bears, and with Butkus zeroing in for the traditional QB slide, Tom instead of going into a QB slide deeked Butkus and continued running. I think he knew following the game that he'd never be able to do that again without getting killed because of Butkus's long memory.

That was Brian Urlacher. Butkus' playing career ended in 1973.

Is there a reason for the large, red, italicized font? It's kind of jarring.

Last edited:

Ummm ... no, you don't. I understand that Brady played for a very long time, but no quite that long.

**** Butckus, was who everyone who ever played as an ILB wanted to be, especially from my era. If you take the 7 minutes to watch some clips of him play, forget about the violence of his play. He was the epitome of what the term "reckless abandon" was meant to be. But rather look at how fast he was and how athletic.

My favorite clip was the one where he picks of a pass in the endzone and rather than make a big deal of it, he simply handed it to the pissed off intended receiver and walks away

RIP ****

I grew up in the Midwest a Bears fan. I was at this game -- Butkus caught a botched extra point to beat the Redskins 16-15.

2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
Back