PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

PostGame Thread Official Pats-Packers Preseason Game Reaction Thread

Immediate Postgame Reactions
Interesting Reiff top 5 on offense. Not that it helps the Pats much but me thinks he plays better at G…at least with the Pats.
I notice you didn't mention that the highest grade they gave to any player -- offense or defense -- was to the much derided Myles Bryant.

Antonio Mafi needs to learn to play with better leverage he's way Bigger than the guy across from him and got bull rushed. Mafi should have stopped that guy in his tracks.

Did you see Stevenson's two yard touchdown run? Brown and Mafi pushed the D line into the next zip code.

I notice you didn't mention that the highest grade they gave to any player -- offense or defense -- was to the much derided Myles Bryant.

The Pats played almost all zone on defense against GB (from what I saw). Bryant is brilliant at zone D. Bryant is awful at man-to-man D. That is the issue. When the Pats switch back and forth from zone to man defense, Bryant is great or awful on back to back plays.

Did you see Stevenson's two yard touchdown run? Brown and Mafi pushed the D line into the next zip code.
Looked like Sow (RT) got good push.
Reiff (RG) got good leverage and turned his guy. Not much push, but a very solid block nonetheless.
Andrews (C) was moved backwards.
Mafi (LG) most certainly did not push anyone backwards.
Brown (LT) turned his guy outside with good leverage, but also did not move anyone backwards (or anywhere close).

Are you mistaking the right side of the OL with the left side? Not sure what you're looking at on this play.

Looked like Sow (RT) got good push.
Reiff (RG) got good leverage and turned his guy. Not much push, but a very solid block nonetheless.
Andrews (C) was moved backwards.
Mafi (LG) most certainly did not push anyone backwards.
Brown (LT) turned his guy outside with good leverage, but also did not move anyone backwards (or anywhere close).

Are you mistaking the right side of the OL with the left side? Not sure what you're looking at on this play.

Thanks I might be. I thought Stevenson went in from 2 yards out over the left side.

The grades for Bill Murray matched what my eyes saw. He is #62 at right tackle late in the game and I didn't see him get beat. It stood out in contrast to the guys around him. He has the body of a guard but played tackle well. I want to see if he can do that against better competition. If so, he may be starter material and push someone like Ferentz off the roster permanently.

Or just to help him have a better chance to catch on with another team. Bill sometimes does that for aging vets about to be cut in training camp.

Bill's first duty is to improve his boss' team by any means at his disposal. If, after the Titties game ends, there's still no deal to be made after a reasonable amount of time has passed, then by all means do the man a solid and let him try to beat the traffic on Cut-Down Day.

Why did we invest a 4th rounder in a kicker if we're not even going to use him in preseason games?
Umm.. Ryland had an extra Point and 2 Kick-offs in the last game. Folk had 2 XPs and 2 Kick offs.
How is that not using him in pre-season?

Bill's first duty is to improve his boss' team by any means at his disposal. If, after the Titties game ends, there's still no deal to be made after a reasonable amount of time has passed, then by all means do the man a solid and let him try to beat the traffic on Cut-Down Day.
True, but building a rep as being respectful to once great but declining vets might help to recruit players like Zeke in the twilight of their careers.

I read it was right side behind Sow and Mafi. A TE also that I was not aware of. Sow and Mafi got a huge push.

Still haven't seen many highlights, but maybe Mafi was a declared Tackle-Eligible on that run...

Yeah, I've noticed that a surprising number of football people seem to think he's a serviceable player.

It was his best game as a pro maybe something to build on to.

In our last win vs Buffalo he made the game saving PBU ;)
I think I blocked that from my memory.
However the fact Allen went to his man doesn’t surprise me.
I think he has good awareness is disciplined where he is exposed is he is not a trackstar.
It’s really simply a case of him being 2 steps too slow on majority of plays he’s given up.
If he can improve his quickness he could be a valuable cog in the defense.

Interesting Reiff top 5 on offense. Not that it helps the Pats much but me thinks he plays better at G…at least with the Pats.

I wouldn't be shocked if they kick Owenu back out to RT when he gets back if Reiff is successful at guard.

MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Back