PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

One year extension for Slater

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's a shame special teamers don't make the hall because Slater would be headed there.

Well deserved.

Well deserved.

Wish he could carve himself a niche at WR.

Good move. They will have problems getting some of their top free agents to sign new deals but I like the approach of getting those they can get done signed now.

#18 is always in on the special teams play!

If he wasn't such an elite STer he would have been cut b/c he really can't do anything else out there. Bad hands, can't track the ball, cant get separation and whatever reason he can't play on defense.

Along with his top notch special teams play, hope he continues with the team breakdowns. AWWWWWWWW YEAHHHH!

If he wasn't such an elite STer he would have been cut b/c he really can't do anything else out there. Bad hands, can't track the ball, cant get separation and whatever reason he can't play on defense.
You'd think that over the years he could develop some kind of situation-specific specialty somewhere either on offense or defense. I understand and appreciate his role on special teams but it just seems he should be capable of doing more, even if at a minor backup level.

The guy is valuable and a steal. Hopefully his opportunities are not significantly reduced now that touch backs come out to the 25.

You'd think that over the years he could develop some kind of situation-specific specialty somewhere either on offense or defense. I understand and appreciate his role on special teams but it just seems he should be capable of doing more, even if at a minor backup level.

It is crazy odd. Even GoAT STers like Steve Tasker could catch the ball offensively and Bill Bates could play zone coverage, intercept a few balls now and then and play good run D.

Even when Larry Whigham was here he had a few picks as a safety.

His skills are totally transferable but he just doesn't get the time.

Last edited:
1 year? Slater is getting up there in age too, maybe it's a farewell season for him.

I've always sort of expected him to just do that one year and have that added to the lore. But that will probably happen at the same time that Bolden does it too.

I've always sort of expected him to just do that one year and have that added to the lore. But that will probably happen at the same time that Bolden does it too.

Not sure I follow. Bolden is functional in the passing game. Hes lined up wide a few times and has hauled in some 20+ yard throws.

For Slater it's like its his first time out there every time.

1 year? Slater is getting up there in age too, maybe it's a farewell season for him.

I found that interesting too. He is getting up there. Who knows.

Love me some Slater.

Not sure I follow. Bolden is functional in the passing game. Hes lined up wide a few times and has hauled in some 20+ yard throws.

For Slater it's like its his first time out there every time.

You're right that the positional play is not the same between both players. But back in 2012-2013 (his first two years when his YPC was mid-high 4), we thought Bolden could have blossomed into a starter. I still half-expect him to put in a serviceable year as a lead rusher, although if it doesn't happen this year, it never will. My (less than) half-serious expectation about Slater would involve him being at least our #3 receiver for an extended period of time.

While I don't think either of these positional breakouts will happen, I think with regard to Bolden, we might want to consider the career trajectory of Edelman. Many here had him as a camp cut the year he became our #1, and he had already been in the league 4 years not contributing much more than ST and the odd gadget play (save for 2009 when he actually got a chance, but he was a rookie and that was the worst Pats squad in years).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Monday Patriots Notebook 5/6: News and Notes
Tom Brady Sustains, Dishes Some Big Hits on Netflix Roast Special
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes