PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

OT: Cowboys top draft pick Dez Bryant already causing stir

Status
Not open for further replies.

DisgruntledTunaFan

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
Maybe this is probably nothing, but nonetheless he IS a rookie trying to act like a big fish in a small pond, and Roy W's ego(and confidence) is already on shaky ground...

Dez Bryant refuses the chores of a lowly rookie - Shutdown Corner - NFL - Yahoo! Sports

It's tradition at training camps for vets to make the rookies carry their pads after practice. Things like that have been going on as long as the NFL has existed. Rookies carry pads. Rookies get donuts. Rookies sing their school fight songs in front of everyone. Rookies are in the back of the line for everything.

After practice yesterday, though, Williams attempted to give Bryant his pads, but Bryant wasn't having it. He let Williams know he could carry his own pads. From Tim McMahon at ESPNDallas.com:

"I'm not doing it," Bryant said. "I feel like I was drafted to play football, not carry another player's pads."

"If I was a free agent, it would still be the same thing. I just feel like I'm here to play football. I'm here to try to help win a championship, not carry someone's pads. I'm saying that out of no disrespect to [anyone]."

The guy's going to be another model citizen in the NFL.

"I feel like I was drafted to play football, not carry another player's pads."...

A phrase comes to mind, Rhymes with "spiny itch". Who cares how you feel, Dez?

Last edited:
Good for him. Bryant might do things throughout his career to cause trouble (I thought the NCAA stuff was overblown), but this isn't one of them. The Cowboys gave up a lot to get Williams and he has done a little bit better than **** since he came aboard. If he had performed at the level that he showed in Detroit from time to time, Dez Bryant wouldn't even be there to carry his pads for him.

Maybe this is probably nothing, but nonetheless he IS a rookie trying to act like a big fish in a small pond, and Roy W's ego(and confidence) is already on shaky ground...

Dez Bryant refuses the chores of a lowly rookie - Shutdown Corner - NFL - Yahoo! Sports

It's tradition at training camps for vets to make the rookies carry their pads after practice. Things like that have been going on as long as the NFL has existed. Rookies carry pads. Rookies get donuts. Rookies sing their school fight songs in front of everyone. Rookies are in the back of the line for everything.

After practice yesterday, though, Williams attempted to give Bryant his pads, but Bryant wasn't having it. He let Williams know he could carry his own pads. From Tim McMahon at ESPNDallas.com:

Some coach better grab him quick and explain that his approach is exactly the wrong one. Not a good way to become part of the team. Wow!

I'm torn on this one. Part of me says this is BS and he needs to be put in his place. But then part of me says that if these guys truly want to call themselves "professionals," then they shouldn't have this sort of hazing BS. Course it only fits that it's a guy for the Cowpokes that started it.

The guy's going to be another model citizen in the NFL.

"I feel like I was drafted to play football, not carry another player's pads."...

A phrase comes to mind, Rhymes with "spiny itch". Who cares how you feel, Dez?

What are the chances that in a few seasons he makes some rookie carry his pads?

And all I could think is, just do it! Pads aren't that heavy! At least he doesn't have to carry a d-lineman!

Good for him, hazing should be outlawed from the NFL.

Roger's a hard ass, make it happen.

If some of you want to argue that guys should just suck up doing such things as caring equipment, getting the coach donuts, or other small things then OK. While I don't agree I won't say it's completely obnoxious.

However if anyone feels getting taped to a goalpost, having your eyebrows/hair shaved off, etc. is necessary then you're nuts.

Last edited:
This won't end well ...

... which is a pity, because the hazing should be scaled back, especially in view of the example it sets for teenage jocks everywhere.

Good for him. Bryant might do things throughout his career to cause trouble (I thought the NCAA stuff was overblown), but this isn't one of them. The Cowboys gave up a lot to get Williams and he has done a little bit better than **** since he came aboard. If he had performed at the level that he showed in Detroit from time to time, Dez Bryant wouldn't even be there to carry his pads for him.

I totally disagree. It is a common thing that rookies carry the veteran's pads. It is a tradition and it is part of the team dynamics. Bryant should respect that and get over himself.

Bryant had an opportunity to show his bad rep is undeserved and he already seems to be going out of his way to show he is a diva. Suck it up Dez and carry the friggin pads like every other rookie will do for the next few weeks.

Yes girls, vicious hazing like carrying veterans' pads is SO brutal and testerone laden.

Good for him, hazing should be outlawed from the NFL.

Roger's a hard ass, make it happen.

If some of you want to argue that guys should just suck up doing such things as caring equipment, getting the coach donuts, or other small things then OK. While I don't agree I won't say it's completely obnoxious.

However if anyone feels getting taped to a goalpost, having your eyebrows/hair shaved off, etc. is necessary then you're nuts.

Well, Parcells when he was here always made the rookies get him water during breaks. I think if Parcells thinks these types of hazing has a place in training camp, I have no problem with it. It isn't like the Cowboys shaved Dez Bryant's eyebrows like the Pats did with Maroney (because he didn't want his dreds shaved off which having your head shaved as a rookie is a common rookie hazing practice in Foxboro).

I agree with your assessment of Williams, and that this is not causing trouble, but I am heartily glad that we didn't draft him. Let's see how Wade handles another WR Prima Donna. Let me just say that Dezmond Tutu Bryant has a certain ring to it

I for one am against hazing, however, carrying someone's pads back to the locker room isn't much of a haze. I understand Dez point of view but really, would it have been too much for him to suck up his pride and pick up the pads just to keep this from getting out publicly? Its only a tradition, go with it regardless if its right or wrong. There were alot of traditional BS when I was in boot camp. I disagreed on many of them but I shut my mouth and did them.

The Patriot rookies get their hair cut badly or if they have dreads, their eyebrows shaved. I never heard of any Patriot rookie complaining. I'm glad that the Patriots didn't draft Dez Bryant. He seems like a primadonna and wouldn't have fit in at New England.

Well, Parcells when he was here always made the rookies get him water during breaks. I think if Parcells thinks these types of hazing has a place in training camp, I have no problem with it. It isn't like the Cowboys shaved Dez Bryant's eyebrows like the Pats did with Maroney (because he didn't want his dreds shaved off which having your head shaved as a rookie is a common rookie hazing practice in Foxboro).

I bet Gronk is gutted :) Also; I am glad I am not the one telling Spikes he needs his dreads off ;)

Yeah like I said, I can overlook making the rookies doing little stuff like that.

Detroit's head coach made it a strict rule that no hazing is allowed.

Hell, some player from the Saints ended up suing the team due to hazing.

Seems like the Cowboys could use Matt Light for an intervention.

I bet Gronk is gutted :) Also; I am glad I am not the one telling Spikes he needs his dreads off ;)

He wont lose his dreads.

They lose their eyebrows instead (LoMo for example)

As for Bryant.

If he'd thrown the pads back to Williams, he'd have dropped them.

If he'd done this to Jason Witten or Romo or even Miles Austin, i'd have said he's a *****.

This doesn't make him one.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick