PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

OT: Does Winning 3 SB's After Previous Heartbreaks Help Ease the Pain?

Going 6-3 against the hottest team in the NFC at the time is a remarkable achievement in itself, but we lose sight of it because all three losses were so f***ing winnable.

Games like 28-3 and the Malcolm Butler INT are things that I’m not sure I would trade for 19-0. Those were some epic epic moments.
Yea, it's easy to dismiss those games because they were wins. Can you imagine losing to the LOB because of another helmet like catch? That would've sucked.

Losing to the Falcons? No, just hell no.

Nah man. No. As a fan, I’ve never gotten over that ****. Each season is its own thing.

Hell Yeah. I have followed the Pats for 64 years.
We SUCKED for way too many years
Always dreamed of having a team like the Steelers, Niners and Cowboys

Then it happened and the ride was Glorious
Sure losses hurt but it is so tough to win a SB
I would have been happy with 1 SB title. We got 6
Saying that we should have won the 2 against the Giants but should have lost the 2 against Atlanta and the Seattle

That’s football. I don’t dwell on the losses but get a lift in my day when I think of the interception and comeback

As a pats fan, we have zero to ***** about. The only reason any loss was heartbreaking was because of the platform this team put itself on. You think Browns fans have heartache? Jags fans? Texans? No, there is no heartache, every win is a parade and every loss is, a meh. You cannot have BIG losses unless you are in the position to have them. The Patriots won 6 titles, if people are mad becuase we didnt win 10, then that is on them. Some teams would have their entire lives made with 1. So no, I do not feel upset that the pats only won 6 titles and had two decades of dominance even if it never happens again in my lifetime. There might come a day when winning is no longer expected. The super bowl or bust every single year, sorry folks, but it was not as fun as you think. My most fun times as a pats fan, was when my entire year was not ruined because they didnt happen to win the superbowl that year. The climb is always more fun than actually being on top for a long time. You have no expectations, its either stay the same or fall into misery.

I don’t think any Patriot fan will ever get over SB42. Still hurts today. The others losses did lessen (actually don’t even think about them at all) because of the wins after.

Thinking back on it now, the half time music group for SB42 is hella ironic… Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers.

I don’t think any Patriot fan will ever get over SB42. Still hurts today. The others losses did lessen (actually don’t even think about them at all) because of the wins after.

Thinking back on it now, the half time music group for SB42 is hella ironic… Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers.
Dude, I had erased that game almost entirely from my brain until you mentioned this. Damn you bro.

AFAIC any fan and I mean ANY fan that comes here and does NOT know nor understand the entire NY Jet/Steeler/Giants attempt to destroy the NEP_ organization using their personal sub-mongoloidal rich kid punk just shouldn't even broach the subject on this board
OT - glad to see the sub-mongoloids are back. I've missed them :haha:

You cannot have BIG losses unless you are in the position to have them.
As they did often in the 70's and 80's; a bit less often in the 60's and 90's
The super bowl or bust every single year
Since 1974.
We SUCKED for way too many years
Far, far less than most other NFL teams.

Our longest losing stretch in history is 1967-73. Seven seasons. Less than a third of the stretches of futility by the others including the supposed iconic league dynasties.

1989 the Patriots suffered massive injuries, however with the enormous blessing of finally, mercifully getting rid of Berry and Eason.

Failing to keep Doug Flutie and make him the starter led to three (3) poor quarterbackless seasons (1990-92).

I suggest every Patriots fan personally decide not to be manipulated by the sick media. In 1981 - our single losing season in a thirteen year stretch - the national media behaved as though we were more eternally putrid than the early 60's Mets, or the late 80's Braves.

To answer the question, yes. After 42, I literally was walking around in a daze for 2 weeks, most painful Patriot’s loss ever. But winning 3 SBs AFTER that, especially HOW they won 49 & 51, man that was great. Some of the happiest moments and memories of my life. 53 was just the cherry on top, greatest defensive performance in SB history.

You think about SIX SB Championships, I still have to pinch myself when I think about that. SIX ! It just seems so unbelievable, especially to us old time fans. Hell, back in the day we’d be happy to make the playoffs. But to win SIX SB’s, unbelievable. We are truly blessed as Pat’s fans. We got to see the greatest dynasty, driven by the greatest player of all time, and the greatest coach of all time.

BTW, Josh McDaniels has been on the coaching staff for ALL SIX SB wins :rofl:. Sorry couldn’t resist.

20-0 would do it for me to a degree. But the run in 07 was special because that whole season was a **** you to Goodell and the NFL world...
You can't get 19-0 back from 07. But the Pats have at least done a great job in making sure it's not as relevant as it once was. IE winning three more SB's. Two in spectacular fashion.

Yes someone wins a SB every year. That's not unique or special. A team wins and within 24 hours everyone looks towards next year.

But overcoming a 28-3 deficit in a SB is something you'll never ever see again. Nor will you likely see the roller coster of emotions SB 49 had (Btw this was one of the greatest games ever played imo).

As a Chiefs fan, I don't know if I'd trade those two moments, and wins, for one undefeated season. But again, I haven't experienced my team losing undefeated season in the SB. And I likely never will.

I don't think you'll ever see a team go 17-0 in this day and age. Not with how close teams are

Last edited:
To answer the question, yes. After 42, I literally was walking around in a daze for 2 weeks, most painful Patriot’s loss ever. But winning 3 SBs AFTER that, especially HOW they won 49 & 51, man that was great. Some of the happiest moments and memories of my life. 53 was just the cherry on top, greatest defensive performance in SB history.

You think about SIX SB Championships, I still have to pinch myself when I think about that. SIX ! It just seems so unbelievable, especially to us old time fans. Hell, back in the day we’d be happy to make the playoffs. But to win SIX SB’s, unbelievable. We are truly blessed as Pat’s fans. We got to see the greatest dynasty, driven by the greatest player of all time, and the greatest coach of all time.

BTW, Josh McDaniels has been on the coaching staff for ALL SIX SB wins :rofl:. Sorry couldn’t resist.
I'd say McDaniels has played an important part in most of those wins too.

Especially SB 53. On the fly, he came up with plays to win that game.

SB 42...was not one of his better days. But he still wasn't terrible that day.

Chris Jones sitting out today vs the Chargers.

Fat and happy because he got his money. KC is not going to the Super Bowl this season.

Fat and happy because he got his money. KC is not going to the Super Bowl this season.
Not sure if wagers or bets are allowed on this site.

I'd be open to one though.

If allowed.

If not I understand.

Chris Jones is active.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Back