PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

OT: NIL has changed the landscape for coaching in college and the NFL, relevant to Pats today

Steve102

Any Man Who Must Say I Am The King Is No True King
PatsFans.com Supporter
2023 Weekly Picks Winner
Reaction score

I looked for a Belichick thread to put this in, but I didn't want to bury it. Rich Eisen talks about how NIL has changed the way things are done now. He starts by talking about how Caleb Williams approached the combine was affected by the money he's already earned. He gets into Saban walking away, saying that he knew it was time when "70-80% of his players wanted playing time and NIL assurances". This certainly affected his decision. Further, I think it trickles in to the NFL, when these kids come in to the league and they have money in the bank already, they most likely must be coached from a different angle than Bill did with his ways. He also gets into Chip Kelly's decision to go to Ohio State and just be an OC.

I have posted this before, but I think the two go together, this NIL situation and Bill's penchant for knocking players down a peg or two when they first get to the NFL. I think his statement goes against what young players may believe coming out of college. There's gotta be an amount of "eff you Bill Belichick, I don't need to listen to your ****, I got 4m in the bank.". We know that Tom took 20 years to get there, Gronk was there as well. I have to think that today's players might listen to that for 20 minutes, and not 20 years, and that's likely why we are seeing such a youth movement in today's NFL head coaches.

NIL is not going to be a forever thing. The whole structure is going to get blown up soon. It can't last.

But this may be all the more reason to look for great players at schools that aren't in the SEC and B1G.

NIL is not going to be a forever thing. The whole structure is going to get blown up soon. It can't last.

But this may be all the more reason to look for great players at schools that aren't in the SEC and B1G.
Maybe, but it's a now thing. Personally, I don't see how they can put the genie back in the bottle. Once the money is out there, how are they going to take it away?

Maybe, but it's a now thing. Personally, I don't see how they can put the genie back in the bottle. Once the money is out there, how are they going to take it away?
I'm referring to moves already in the works to limit football to the top 32-36 teams. The 2 leagues are going to reap all the money from the CFP. There will be nothing left either in the CFP or in TV broadcasting for the B12 and ACC. The ACC probably wont even survive.

This will mean a severe reduction in the number of players in the general pool of kids who have already been paid.

But more than that, it's going to cause a reduction in interest by viewers from the east coast and west coast. And eventually, they're going to have to reassess the relationship of these programs to the schools themselves, and especially the students who are even now subsidizing all of this.

I see it going FULLY professional within the next decade. But when it does, the whole relationship with the school (classes, scholarships, tuition) will be reassessed as well. Maybe that's how it should be. That's how Europe does it.

I just think people will start to see it like they already see minor league sports.

I'm referring to moves already in the works to limit football to the top 32-36 teams. The 2 leagues are going to reap all the money from the CFP. There will be nothing left either in the CFP or in TV broadcasting for the B12 and ACC. The ACC probably wont even survive.

This will mean a severe reduction in the number of players in the general pool of kids who have already been paid.

But more than that, it's going to cause a reduction in interest by viewers from the east coast and west coast. And eventually, they're going to have to reassess the relationship of these programs to the schools themselves, and especially the students who are even now subsidizing all of this.

I see it going FULLY professional within the next decade. But when it does, the whole relationship with the school (classes, scholarships, tuition) will be reassessed as well. Maybe that's how it should be. That's how Europe does it.

I just think people will start to see it like they already see minor league sports.
Sounds about right. My head hurts. I think it means I can stop rooting for the UNH Wildcats. Yay, go Wildcats! I guess not.

Black Sabbath's Nativity In Lack?
Name, Image, and Likeness. But yours is good too.
ozzy osbourne my my my GIF

I am sure it will be fixed/adjusted to some extent but I agree. The ruling from the Supreme Court is that college athletes can profit off their name, image, and likeness. Not like the NCAA can just ignore the Supreme Court.

I am sure it will be fixed/adjusted to some extent but I agree. The ruling from the Supreme Court is that college athletes can profit off their name, image, and likeness. Not like the NCAA can just ignore the Supreme Court.
The Executive Branch can so why not them?

There was an article i read yesterday... Saban said he retired, in part, because of the way the players in Bama reacted to the loss to Michigan in the Rose Bowl... More concerned with NIL money, guarantees of playing time or they would hit the transfer portal, etc...

the NIL money has dramatically changed college football... now we are going to see how much it changes the NFL... rich before they get drafted... might have a generation of DGAF's in the NFL...

Once back in Tuscaloosa, as Saban began meeting with players, it became even more apparent to him that his message wasn't resonating like it once did.

"I thought we could have a hell of a team next year, and then maybe 70 or 80 percent of the players you talk to, all they want to know is two things: What assurances do I have that I'm going to play because they're thinking about transferring, and how much are you going to pay me?" Saban recounted. "Our program here was always built on how much value can we create for your future and your personal development, academic success in graduating and developing an NFL career on the field.

"So I'm saying to myself, 'Maybe this doesn't work anymore, that the goals and aspirations are just different and that it's all about how much money can I make as a college player?' I'm not saying that's bad. I'm not saying it's wrong, I'm just saying that's never been what we were all about, and it's not why we had success through the years."

Last edited:
There was an article i read yesterday... Saban said he retired, in part, because of the way the players in Bama reacted to the loss to Michigan in the Rose Bowl... More concerned with NIL money, guarantees of playing time or they would hit the transfer portal, etc...

the NIL money has dramatically changed college football... now we are going to see how much it changes the NFL... rich before they get drafted... might have a generation of DGAF's in the NFL...

Yeah, that's what Eisen talks about.

NIL isn't going anywhere. If anything, we are seeing more and more freedoms being given to college players. Things that were unheard of 5 years ago are now commonplace today.

Seems we were only talking about this yesterday.

Here I am going on about how everything will change in 10 years, and I only had to wait 24 hours for the initial rumblings to turn into full scale proposals: With College Football Playoff format and future revenue in flux, here's what's on the table
I have to laugh at the proposal that grants 2 automatic births to the SEC and Big 10 each, as if they need automatic births. The notion that each of those 2 conferences wouldn't earn the 2nd birth using regular at large processes is ridiculous.

If we look at last year's rankings but apply next year's conference affiliations, a 14 team playoff (using 5 conference champs plus 9 at large) would have had 11 teams from the Big 10 and SEC.

2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots WR Javon Baker Conference Call
TRANSCRIPT: Layden Robinson Conference Call
MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
Back