PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

OT: Should the 49ers consider firing Shanahan for Belichick?

I'd fire Kyle, personally. I feel like he's peaked at this point and he's never going to get the 49ers over the hump. Will the roster ever be better? The Chiefs were not some kind of juggernaut. He will only face harder opponents in any future title game.

I would just have a hard time continuing to bang my head against the wall with him like this. Will the players keep buying in? "THIS time we're NOT gonna choke, I promise!!!"
That's where I'm at.

This isn't a situation where he is going into the SB as 14 point underdogs. And has no chance from the start. These are mostly evenly matched teams. Coaching makes the difference. McVay & Reid have totally outclassed him.

And you can always look back at a game and say a HC should have done these three plays differently. With this guy, it's like 10 plays or so. It's so obvious what he is doing wrong.

They won't do it though. And he will undoubtedly cost them another big game in the near future.

Brings them to the Big Dance but can’t get it done. He had to run CMC more. A lot of guys said that in the game thread.

There’s a monkey on his back going back to 28-3 Falcons.
Blew a 28-3 lead in Atlanta, then blew a 10 point second-half lead with the Niners TWICE. You can point the finger at questionable play calling in all 3 games, and he's the guy calling the plays. He called it well early to get the lead then crapped his pants with the lead, which is generally what he did in every game.

Blew a 28-3 lead in Atlanta, then blew a 10 point second-half lead with the Niners TWICE. You can point the finger at questionable play calling in all 3 games, and he's the guy calling the plays. He called it well early to get the lead then crapped his pants with the lead, which is generally what he did in every game.
Didn't they blow a 10 point lead against the Rams too?

I joked about it during the thread, but having Bill when it mattered would have made a difference last night. I just don't know what the rest of his staff would look like because how players on the 49ers would react to someone like Josh McDaniels, especially given his recent performances elsewhere, I feel like would be an issue. They would need to retain someone underneath Kyle, and I don't know how Belichick would feel about having someone he's never worked with calling plays.

Albeit, I think he would have made sure they did what the Chiefs did - stayed patient and not panicked, and they probably would have won.

I was ready to laugh at the idea, but this article is a bad look. For as pretty as Shanahan’s offenses can be, there are still some major questions about his work as a head coach.

Multiple San Francisco players said after the game that they were not aware that the overtime rules are different in the playoffs than they are in the regular season, and strategy discussions over how to handle the overtime period did not occur as a team. Defensive lineman Arik Armstead said he learned the details of the postseason rule when it was shown on the Allegiant Stadium jumbotron during a TV timeout after regulation. Fullback Kyle Juszczyk said he assumed the 49ers asked to receive when they won the toss because that’s what you do in the regular season, when a touchdown wins the game. “I guess that’s not the case. I don’t really know the strategy,” Juszczyk said.

Reid was basically doing his best to not call Shanahan out there.

But yikes...

I joked about it during the thread, but having Bill when it mattered would have made a difference last night. I just don't know what the rest of his staff would look like because how players on the 49ers would react to someone like Josh McDaniels, especially given his recent performances elsewhere, I feel like would be an issue. They would need to retain someone underneath Kyle, and I don't know how Belichick would feel about having someone he's never worked with calling plays.

Albeit, I think he would have made sure they did what the Chiefs did - stayed patient and not panicked, and they probably would have won.
Bill is defense first. But I bet he is telling the OC to stop passing if the run is working. And I think he 100% kicks off in that OT.

I'm guessing he probably would be.

Every pass Purdy missed is a pass Brady will make. And Brady is one of the very few QB's who can outduel Mahomes in a big game.

I think the most egregious mistake by SF was not going after Brady in 2020. Especially after watching what transpired in that SB.
The Brady question is one where we’ll never get an answer. He isn’t coming back now, and it’s easy to forget that he finally began to struggle in 2022. Brady definitely had to know it was his time.

The Brady question is one where we’ll never get an answer. He isn’t coming back now, and it’s easy to forget that he finally began to struggle in 2022. Brady definitely had to know it was his time.
Maybe 45 year old Brady.

But with 44 year old Brady, that game is over by the third quarter.

Bill is defense first. But I bet he is telling the OC to stop passing if the run is working. And I think he 100% kicks off in that OT.
Exactly. He's still one of the best situational coaches in football, and he would have had the conversation with his OC to slow things down. And, to your point, I also think maybe they even get one of those two final defensive stops to close out the the game.

Reid was basically doing his best to not call Shanahan out there.

But yikes...
Funny thing is, Reid himself was infamous for his clock management issues. It even continued with the Chiefs under Alex Smith (the 4th quarter of our 2015 divisional against them was a carbon copy of SB 39, minus the puking). When Mahomes came around, that went away — I wonder how much of that is Mahomes actually taking over clock management himself, or Reid learning? Regardless, Reid has it under control now, and he’s now got 3 SB victories to show for it. When’s Shanahan going to make that final adjustment to put him over the top like Reid did?

Exactly. He's still one of the best situational coaches in football, and he would have had the conversation with his OC to slow things down. And, to your point, I also think maybe they even get one of those two final defensive stops to close out the the game.
No question.

Bill is a guy who studies everything to the smallest detail. From whatever direction the wind is coming from. To analyzing the grass on the field.

Do your job documentary tells it all.

Funny thing is, Reid himself was infamous for his clock management issues. It even continued with the Chiefs under Alex Smith (the 4th quarter of our 2015 divisional against them was a carbon copy of SB 39, minus the puking). When Mahomes came around, that went away — I wonder how much of that is Mahomes actually taking over clock management himself, or Reid learning? Regardless, Reid has it under control now, and he’s now got 3 SB victories to show for it. When’s Shanahan going to make that final adjustment to put him over the top like Reid did?
I think pre Mahomes Andy Reid was still a better HC than Shanahan is now.

His clock management was definitely an issue. No question.

I think BB would be more the solution to the woes of a team like the Cowboys or Bills (whose coaches are arguably worse than Shanahan) but I agree that'd probably have been able to get the job done last night all things considered. Unfortunately for SF, if the aforementioned Cowboys and Bills are precedents, I don't expect Shanahan to go anywhere.

Short answer-No. Shanahan is doing a great job, they just ran into a team and player that are really hard to beat, especially in big games. Mahomes is very much like Brady in that he gets better as the pressure gets greater. He doesn’t panic, he just makes play after play until the job is done, both he and Reid are 1st ballot HOFer’s.

I think BB would be more the solution to the woes of a team like the Cowboys or Bills (whose coaches are arguably worse than Shanahan) but I agree that'd probably have been able to get the job done last night all things considered. Unfortunately for SF, if the aforementioned Cowboys and Bills are precedents, I don't expect Shanahan to go anywhere.
See I think Bill in Buffalo might be the best fit.

He doesn't need to worry about the QB. And he would get the most out of a D that usually gets injured. More than McDermott.

What's Buffalo's biggest issue in the postseason? Reid outcoaching McDermott.

Who is the one HC that has Reid's number in postseason games? Belichick.

Short answer-No. Shanahan is doing a great job, they just ran into a team and player that are really hard to beat, especially in big games. Mahomes is very much like Brady in that he gets better as the pressure gets greater. He doesn’t panic, he just makes play after play until the job is done, both he and Reid are 1st ballot HOFer’s.
I don't think that's even a question. Undoubtedly 1st ballot.

Kelce too

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
Back