PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Patriots Learn Today If They Get Gillislee, Close Door on Blount

Status
Not open for further replies.
Whatever the Bills do...it won't be the right move....LOL

Lose big cap space for a backup or lose a decent back for a 5th round crap shoot...name your poison....

That makes sense only if they are taking the 5th rd pick instead. If that's the case, they can take as long as they want.

Well, kind of. I mean, the risk shifts from one player to another either way, but the risk is still there:

Scenario A - The Bills plan to keep Gillislee, but don't need to declare that until today. Doing it early nets them nothing. But if he gets himself hurt this week doing something stupid, they're off the hook (possibly, I don't know the exact rules regarding these offer sheets and injuries).

Scenario B - The Bills plan to let him walk, but don't need to declare that until today. Doing it early, again, nets them nothing. But if one of their other backs gets hurt doing something stupid, they can then match and maintain their backfield.

Either way, the point is they gain nothing by doing something early.

He was great last year but seemed to trail off in the playoffs. The fumble in the Super Bowl doesn't improve his stock either.

In Blount's six seasons prior to 2016, he averaged 145 carries/year with a high of 201 during his rookie season back in 2010.

Blount carried 334 times last season, playoffs included. The only other RB to top 300 totes in 2016 was rookie Zeke Elliot. Only 11 other RBs topped 250.

It seemed to me that Blount "trailed off" primarily because the Pats ran him into the ground, not because he's at the end of his career.

Blount's 334 in 2016 marked only the 4th time during BB's tenure that an RB has gone over 300 carries in a season + playoffs. The others were:
... Smith in 2001 - finishing 40 days short of his 30th birthday (he played two more seasons in NE at a decent level)
... Dillon in 2004 - finishing three months AFTER turing 30 (he played two more seasons in NE at a high level)
... Ridley in 2012 (when he was a relative youngster)
... Blount in 2016 - finishing two months after turning 30

Other than those four seasons, Pats RBs have rarely topped even 200 carries for a season + playoffs and averaged about 175. So, 100-150 carries for Blount in 2017 as a partner to Burkhead (if the Gillislee deal doesn't go through) seems not only appropriate, but almost likely.

It should also be noted that Smith, Dillon and Ridley ALL fumbled as many (or more) times in their one biggest season with the Pats than Blount has fumbled in his entire 4-year career with the Pats.

Well, kind of. I mean, the risk shifts from one player to another either way, but the risk is still there:

Scenario A - The Bills plan to keep Gillislee, but don't need to declare that until today. Doing it early nets them nothing. But if he gets himself hurt this week doing something stupid, they're off the hook (possibly, I don't know the exact rules regarding these offer sheets and injuries).

Scenario B - The Bills plan to let him walk, but don't need to declare that until today. Doing it early, again, nets them nothing. But if one of their other backs gets hurt doing something stupid, they can then match and maintain their backfield.

Either way, the point is they gain nothing by doing something early.
I take your point, but it's getting silly.

I think it's disrespectful to Mike for Buff to string him out til the end either way hope we're on to Carlos Hyde.
Only if we would of drafted my binkie Tevin Coleman.

Coleman was a binky of mine, too. As was Hyde.

At this point, though, I think I'd rather have Blount back for a year than Hyde.

Knowing the Bills, they are likely to screw up the email/fax intending to keep him and he goes to the Pats because they didn't inform the league office by 4 PM...(ala Elvis Dumervil or Carlton Fisk baseball analogy from way back)

Not the real account...

Remember, peeps: the real Adam Schefter has a blue checkmark after his name:

Son of a ....

Bookmark the correct accounts and put them in a folder, for goodness sake!

It's sad that even people on this forum have to rush to be the first person to get the news out at the expense of verification.

• Winner
Reactions: sb1
you twit ;)

Yeah that's fake.

Still don't get why people do fake accounts. WTF ? How useless can your life be ?

I think most of these people are in the 15-17 age range who 1) have lots of time on their hands when they're not in school, and 2) surprisingly aren't that smooth with the ladies....

Status
Not open for further replies.

2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots WR Javon Baker Conference Call
TRANSCRIPT: Layden Robinson Conference Call
MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
Back