PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Player Signing Patriots Signing Former Vikings WR K.J. Osborn

If the deal is as initially reported, 1 year, 4M guaranteed and incentives could make it 6 then that is a good deal, drops and all. Unlike many wr’s on the roster, he is a legitimate NFL wr.

Sounds like a good/ok move in March, but reality is he may get cut if we actually hit on a draft pick or two at WR, its happened.
FA hasn't exactly been fireworks, so hopefully the draft is better. I think a QB is always a gamble, and its sucks to gamble at number 3 when there's a playmaker like Harrison or Nabers there, or a franchise LT like Alt. I'd feel satisfied with trading down and getting an OT and one of the best defensive players available. Address QB next year, built a wall for him to work behind this year.

Looks like Thornton is getting cut. They might just hold onto juju as injury insurance .

Bourne
Douglas
Osborne
Rookie 1
Rookie 2/ Juju
Special team returner ( reagor/ Juju/Boutte/ thornton)

My money is on Bourne, Douglas, Osborne, Rookie 1 , Rookie2 and Reagor.

100% agree - I absolutely hated the Parker extension ... haven't been a fan of him since he got here. On the Groh situation, that's a tough one, albeit Bill seemed to deflect blame there last year, which was interesting when it came to Smith-Schuster. But I'd be surprised if he's on the team and I'd be even more surprised if he doesn't retire, at least based on what we saw last year. Just unfortunate it worked out the way it did. Definitely disappointed Meyers isn't here...still bummed about that.
Agreed on Meyers especially simce ot wasn’t a huge gap in $$.

Felt like a classic Bill move “I’m offended u didn’t take what I offered so pound sand”.

Real question should be “who looked at his medicals and signed off?”

Agreed on Meyers especially simce ot wasn’t a huge gap in $$.

Felt like a classic Bill move “I’m offended u didn’t take what I offered so pound sand”.

Real question should be “who looked at his medicals and signed off?”
Don't forget, he also was a staunch defender of Mac and was critical of Patricia. Guessing that also didn't help his cause. Agree with you on the medicals. Not sure what the process was, but clearly, it didn't work out. Someone else ended up in a similar situation if I recall and ended up failing a physical...the name escapes me, I believe it was the free-agent RB out of JAX...?

EDIT: James Robinson was the name I believe - similar situation. He wasn't let go until June, so someone obviously missed whatever issue that existed with him as well.

Nice depth
Probably in Min he was so closed from Jefferson plus Addison
Good person too
He saved also a man involved in burning car
His time diminished some with the addition of Addison but not much.

Reminds me of Dorsett...we'll see.
How can he remind you of Dorsett? Dorsett could run 1 route effectively.

Osborn has route running abilities closer to Edelman than Dorsett.

Looks like Thornton is getting cut. They might just hold onto juju as injury insurance .

Bourne
Douglas
Osborne
Rookie 1
Rookie 2/ Juju

Love the Pressure that's going to put on him. That means he's going need to have a world beater off season and TC. Hey Stranger things have happened need to see if he can live up to his overdrafted selection.

1. Brian Thomas late round 1 after trade back
2. Douglas
3. Osborn
4. Bourne recovering from injury
5. Day 3 rookie/Boutte

Fixed it for you. :)
I think we are only getting Brian Thomas Jr if we Trade down from # 3. He looks really good not gonna lie. :cool:

Question has DJ Chark signed with anyone?? Asking for a friend.

Bourne
Douglas
Osborne
Rookie 1
Rookie 2/ Juju

I think this list is pretty close, though I think Tyquan is going to show up stronger/more confident, and will make the team instead of Rookie 2/JuJu.

I think this list is pretty close, though I think Tyquan is going to show up stronger/more confident, and will make the team instead of Rookie 2/JuJu.
Cousins, Sorry, just oatmeal and fruit for breakfast this AM. Not exciting.

Yea , I got one. So 'Ole DW Toys got one right for a change when I offered up KJ as a WR possible FA signing three weeks ago. So DW Toys=1-Judon=0. He was thought of by many as a possible #2 and with Jefferson, Addison and Hock and Cousins going out half way through the season, it was amazing he got as many targets and catches (48) and 3 TDS....So nyet on the #2 WR there.
He is now our best outside receiver (no offense Pop but you are still a pup and inside)

"How about K.J. Osborn? He doesn't get talked about a whole lot, but all he has done since he has really assumed more of a significant role with the Minnesota Vikings is continuously made plays – a huge third-down catch for an explosive," O'Connell said. "But then it is also his ability to be really in all three spots at once. It makes him so incredibly versatile."

"I just got in a rhythm. When I get opportunities, I try to make the best of them. And a lot of those opportunities, they usually come third down, fourth down, in overtime," Osborn said postgame. "But whenever the ball comes to me, I just try to make the most of my opportunities. I found a rhythm and was getting really comfortable."

That does not mean we should be out of the #1 WR business. If we are going to tie our Fan future into one of the "Holy Three" and hope the dice does not role to a Trubisky or a Trey Lance, we should look trade. I still think Trade down is the answer because I have seen the Tape and flaws of the Holy Three. ...... Why would they send a contingency to Bo Nix' pro day if they have their mind made up? But this would be blastpheme to many on this forum....

So a forced QB at pick three and now with some pressure off the WR room, a WR can wait and a second tier decent Tackle can now be the pick at #34 and your left over WR at #68....OR.... trade said pick to the Niners for Aiyuk. It's almost a second...not enough? Perhaps swap seond round picks with the Niners then.

"Aiyuk's situation looms the largest over this 49ers offseason, and if they can't find a way to a contract extension, the talented wideout could theoretically ask to be traded to a team that's willing and able to pay him."
He explained San Francisco enters the offseason approximately $7.5 million over the projected salary cap, which is something the front office will have to address. The wide receiver is set to make $14.1 million in the final year of his deal in 2024"

$71.55 million
Deebo Samuel, the star wide receiver of the San Francisco 49ers, has agreed to a three-year contract extension with the 49ers, worth $71.55 million, with $58.1 million guaranteed. He will earn an average salary of $23.85 million per year, making him one of the highest-paid receivers in the NFL

Can the Niners afford to pay Aiyuk the same type of dollars? My guess is Nyet to have both of them on the books , or two players at the WR position making 22% of the Teams' CAP space..... and here comes Purdy in 2024.

The Pats can afford to match the Deebo contract for Aiyuk (75 catches, 7 TDs and 1342 yards from a QB who might be less talented than say ......a Bo Nix et.al.) Just sayin. We've got a 26 year old NFL proven product as our #1 WR.

Now to get to that lofty position of getting an Aiyuk or a Higgins even, the ransom might be more. What if we took the assumed Vikings trade of pick #11 and pick #23 (plus a Vikes first rounder in 2025), get the best QB at #11 and swap #23 to the Niners? Would they bite?

DW Toys

Bourne
Douglas
Osborne
Rookie 1
Rookie 2/ Juju

Cousin Toofy, We might can mitigate that Thornton bad pick with a bad pick the Saints did the same Draft. LT Trevor Penning was an amazing athlete (mean and under 5.0 40) at 6'7" and 325lbs at a small school and Drafted #19 by the Saints. After looking good in pre season he had an injury , now recovered he is still on a downward spiral.
Upgrading the Saints WR position is a priority for them. What if a change of scenery helps both players if we even swap Thornton for Penning?

"If Trevor Penning hasn’t been issued a failing grade during his time with the New Orleans Saints, a solid “incomplete” would be sufficient.

The Saints spent their 2022 first round pick (19th overall) on the hulking offensive line out of Northern Iowa. Penning was the highest rated tackle in the FCS with an over 6-foot-7 frame at 325 pounds. He turned in a 4.89 time in the 40 while flashing elite athleticism and strength.

His rookie season was derailed before it began. Penning tore a ligament in his left big toe in a preseason game against the Chargers just 10 snaps into the contest. The injury required surgery. Penning returned November 16 against Carolina, but suffered a Lisfranc fracture in his right foot, meaning he would be back to full health until June.

The 2023 season began with great hope as essentially Penning’s redshirt rookie season but the massive prospect was benched after five regular season games. His struggles at left tackle were immense"

But his Teammate Spencer Brown on the Bills took three years before the light turned on.
"For those not familiar with him, Brown was Penning’s former teammate at Northern Iowa and played right tackle.

The 6-foot-8, 310-pound Brown was selected by the Buffalo Bills in the third round of the ’21 NFL Draft. He struggled mightily during his first two seasons, seemingly overmatched at times.

However, a light clicked on and he made a quantum leap in 2023. According to Pro Football Focus, Brown graded out as the eighth best among NFL tackles in run blocking and sits 19th in pass blocking."

Small school issues? See Cole Strange

I would do that swap if the Saints would consider trying to fix Thornton.
Thoughts?
DW Toys

I'm alright with this. you can't have an all star cast from top to bottom and this guy looks like very good depth. Looks like a guy who can create a bit of space in the middle of the field and do a bit of everything, average acceleration but still seems to get open more than his share. A bit reminiscent of Chris Hogan IMHO.

I hear you, but I would have to say he's an above average JAG. He's not Calvin Ridley, but he's the type of guy who can get open, catch the ball, and move the sticks, something they had trouble with all last season.

At least Osborn had two red zone touchdowns last year. DeVante Parker didn't have one red zone target all season - which is a mind-blowing stat given his extension and the state they were in last year.
I don't think he's a JAG at all. We just actually released one of these. He catches everything, he's got elite speed on the outside. Runs great routes, just a complete WR. He's been steady for Minnesota. Nice pick up for us. People have to remember this won't be Mac nor Zapp throwing to him or, to the other team attempting to throw to KJ.

With some "competent " QB play in a QB and WR offense that AVP runs I think he could thrive.

I don't think he's a JAG at all. We just actually released one of these. He catches everything, he's got elite speed on the outside. Runs great routes, just a complete WR. He's been steady for Minnesota. Nice pick up for us. People have to remember this won't be Mac nor Zapp throwing to him or, to the other team attempting to throw to KJ.

With some "competent " QB play in a QB and WR offense that AVP runs I think he could thrive.
His FLOOR seems to me to be solid NFL professional WR, which is a step up. We'll see if he can be more, but it's an upgrade to the room in any event.

MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Back