PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Player Signing Patriots Signing S Jaylinn Hawkins

I'm sorry. What did the Pats offer for a contract? Funny how you claim they "went cheap" yet were supposedly offering 3/66 for Ridley. That's not going cheap in my book.

Ridley got 4/92 at 50 guaranteed. Did you stop to think that MAYBE Tennessee just flat outbid them and that's it's not "the pats going cheap"? OH.. Wait. I forgot who I was talking to..

Yup. The Titans did flat out outbid the Pats. You are right. Because the Pats never outbid anyone. Why do you think the Pats never ever outbid anyone?

This has been posted repeatedly, but I will repeat it again. RK sets the Pats budget. BB signed the players within the budget set. Yes BB tried to work within the restrictions. BB does not own the Pats. BB does not set the budget. Not tough to understand.
The League sets the budget. It's called the NFL Cap. This season it's $255.4M. The GM manages the budget.

If you want to argue that BB was always signing more mid level players instead of fewer premier FAs, that is a discussion point. BB being cheap, when he did not set the budget, the Pats have the least cash spend over the last 10 years, and the Pats "burning cash" by having $50M left in cap space in 2024, while missing out on ALL top FAs when BB is not here, is absurd. But you will never change no matter what the facts are. You make up hypotheticals like "would BB have signed Onwenu" instead of addressing the facts.
Whatever happened the last 10 years, while Bill was the GM, is now irrelevant. This is the start of a new 3 season window, with a new FO and HC. Let's see what they do. I guarantee you they won't start the season with $50M.

The League sets the budget. It's called the NFL Cap.
League sets the cap
Teams set their own budgets

You outdo yourself daily

This is the start of a new 3 season window, with a new FO and HC.
Also known as Years 5-7 of rebuild
I guarantee you they won't start the season with $50M.
Current cap space $50.8 mill
-Pats rookie pool $15.2 mill

You are the Amazing Kreskin reincarnated.

Podcast Preach GIF

The League sets the budget. It's called the NFL Cap. This season it's $255.4M. The GM manages the budget.
The league does not set the Patriots budget. The league does not even set the NFL salary cap. Other than being completely wrong, carry on.
Whatever happened the last 10 years, while Bill was the GM, is now irrelevant. This is the start of a new 3 season window, with a new FO and HC. Let's see what they do. I guarantee you they won't start the season with $50M.
OK. Let's see what they do. But they are off to a unremarkable start. Why is that so hard for you to admit?

Are we supposed to be upset that they focused on getting Onwenu re-signed? You do realize that there is only so much time in a day and that other teams make players a priority as well.

A $5B to $10B firm should have the personnel and systems in place to simultaneously manage 20+ contract negotiations when FA opens. I am not sure what "only so much time in a day" means. Maybe you were being sarcastic when implying the Pats were focused on one FA and could not focus on more than one FA at a time?

League sets the cap
Teams set their own budgets
“Cash spending isn't really that relevant. It's cap spending,” Belichick said. “So teams that spend a lot of cash one year, probably don't spend a lot of cash in the next year because you just can't sustain that. So we've had high years, we've had low years, but our cap spending has always been high."

Also known as Years 5-7 of rebuild
Belichick's Years 1-4 of the rebuild were a failure.
This a NEW rebuild (New HC, NEW GM, NEW QB).

Current cap space $50.8 mill
-Pats rookie pool $15.2 mill

Rookie pool is not $15M. They'll spend more than $15M. Satisfied?

Here's Miguel's proposed deal to extend Barmore at $24M apy ($18.5M paper):

2024 Cap of $14.2M vs current $2.7M.

The league does not set the Patriots budget. The league does not even set the NFL salary cap. Other than being completely wrong, carry on.
If the League doesn't set the NFL salary cap, who does? That would be news to me.

OK. Let's see what they do. But they are off to a unremarkable start. Why is that so hard for you to admit?
It's not difficult to admit except for your 2nd sentence, that I agree with.

Let's see what they do from now until June 15th.

I feel bad for Jaylinn Hawkins, or anyone else who's not superman, who comes in here now, because they're going to get mushed up in the greater debate over cheapness/BB/RK and thrown into the misery chipper for good measure.

How about just talk about the deal in question, out of simple respect for the player. Hawkins was a 4th round pick who started out very well in the NFL:

He was a surprise cut in Atlanta, at least to the fans, then got hurt with the Chargers. He's here for almost no dollars on a prove it deal where the Pats actually get part of his salary off the CAP under vet rules. If he doesn't make the 53, it's not breaking any banks here.

Again, he was a GOOD player, and should be decent at least as a depth piece, and last I looked, a 6'1", 205 FS who has decent athletic traits (4.4 40) might be a nice piece behind the starting safeties on the team.

If the League doesn't set the NFL salary cap, who does? That would be news to me.
The league and the players' union negotiate a contract which includes the salary cap formulas. The contract is called the "collective bargaining agreement". Maybe because the league announces the salary cap you thought they set the salary cap? The league is only applying the agreed formula, that is in the collective bargaining agreement, to determine the cap each year. The league is not setting the salary cap. It is an announcement of the formulaic results. See Wiki under "salary cap".

The salary cap, and the regulations that are a part of it, come from the NFL collective bargaining agreement. This is an agreement between the league and its player association that discusses the sharing of revenue and other compensation rules.
It's not difficult to admit except for your 2nd sentence, that I agree with.

Let's see what they do from now until June 15th.
Then what? You will continue the same way. You are so emotionally tied to hating BB and proping up RK, nothing will change.

The league and the players' union negotiate a contract which includes the salary cap formulas. The contract is called the "collective bargaining agreement". Maybe because the league announces the salary cap you thought they set the salary cap? The league is only applying the agreed formula, that is in the collective bargaining agreement, to determine the cap each year. The league is not setting the salary cap. It is an announcement of the formulaic results. See Wiki under "salary cap".

The salary cap, and the regulations that are a part of it, come from the NFL collective bargaining agreement. This is an agreement between the league and its player association that discusses the sharing of revenue and other compensation rules.
Sure, but it's the NFL that provides the revenue numbers that establishes the formula. It's semantics.

Then what? You will continue the same way. You are so emotionally tied to hating BB and proping up RK, nothing will change.
BB is gone. RK is the owner. He's not going anywhere. I'll be the first to criticize the new regime (Wolf/Mayo), IF their moves don't pan out, AFTER they've had a reasonable amount of time to develop them.

Sure, but it's the NFL that provides the revenue numbers that establishes the formula. It's semantics.
The NFL is simply publishing numbers. Not setting anything.
BB is gone. RK is the owner. He's not going anywhere. I'll be the first to criticize the new regime (Wolf/Mayo), IF their moves don't pan out, AFTER they've had a reasonable amount of time to develop them.
If Wolf is undercut with limited budgets, he has very little chance.

Yup. The Titans did flat out outbid the Pats. You are right. Because the Pats never outbid anyone. Why do you think the Pats never ever outbid anyone?
How do you know the Patriots never "outbid" anyone?

How do you know they didn't outbid anyone on Onwenu?
How do you know they didn't outbid anyone on Gibson?
How do you know they didn't outbid anyone on Takitaki?
Pretty sure that the Pats outbid people to bring in Henry and Judon, originally.

At some point, you're going to figure out that the Boston sports media wants you to hate on it's teams. That if they can, they'll put whatever they can in a negative light so that you have a negative reaction.

I have no issue with the Pats being "outbid" for Ridley. It's absolutely a ridiculous contract that he got. If the Pats had beaten that, 99% of the people on here would be screaming that the Pats had over-paid and that Ridley wasn't worth it, etc, etc.

Do you really think that Hopkins would have put up 1000 yards for the Pats last year if he'd been here? I don't. The O-line was too big of a disaster due to injuries and the Pats trying to play players at positions they weren't good at.

The Pats have brought in 9 guys. Many on prove it 1yr deals. Much like BB did in 2000 and again in 2001. The difference is that the Pats have Cap space this year that they didn't have in 2000.

They are looking at extensions for Barmore, Dugger, and Judon. Guys who will be core players for at least the next 2 years (Judon) and 4 (Barmore/Dugger). I'm good with that.. If you're not, ask yourself why not.

A $5B to $10B firm should have the personnel and systems in place to simultaneously manage 20+ contract negotiations when FA opens. I am not sure what "only so much time in a day" means. Maybe you were being sarcastic when implying the Pats were focused on one FA and could not focus on more than one FA at a time?

WOW. Just.. WOW.. Go ahead and show me ANY team that has that. Just one. I'll put $100 that says NONE of the teams have that much personnel for negotiating contracts. Maybe 2-3 people. TOTAL.

WOW. Just.. WOW.. Go ahead and show me ANY team that has that. Just one. I'll put $100 that says NONE of the teams have that much personnel for negotiating contracts. Maybe 2-3 people. TOTAL.
believe as you will

Kraft has lots of contract experts working for his companies.

I agree that there are likely 2-3 that specialize in football contracts, in addition to Wolf of course.

Rookie pool is not $15M. They'll spend more than $15M. Satisfied?
The patriots rookie pool IS INDEED $15M. After the offset for the players they replace on the top 51, the cost to sign the rookies will be $8.8M.

I feel bad for Jaylinn Hawkins, or anyone else who's not superman, who comes in here now, because they're going to get mushed up in the greater debate over cheapness/BB/RK and thrown into the misery chipper for good measure.
While I understand and respect the sentiment, what about those of us with no agenda beyond just wanting the best team possible?
How about just talk about the deal in question, out of simple respect for the player. Hawkins was a 4th round pick who started out very well in the NFL:
“Very well” is being overly generous IMO.
He was a surprise cut in Atlanta, at least to the fans, then got hurt with the Chargers. He's here for almost no dollars on a prove it deal where the Pats actually get part of his salary off the CAP under vet rules. If he doesn't make the 53, it's not breaking any banks here.
If he was a surprise cut for fans, maybe he shouldn’t have been. By year three he was the starting free safety on the 29th ranked defense in points allowed and near last in passing yards and TD’s allowed. He made some tackles, but didn’t make many impact plays. IMO it wasn’t surprising Atlanta moved on, they’d seen enough.
Again, he was a GOOD player, and should be decent at least as a depth piece, and last I looked, a 6'1", 205 FS who has decent athletic traits (4.4 40) might be a nice piece behind the starting safeties on the team.
Average maybe… I also don’t know where you got 4.4 forty time, according to Draftscout he didn’t workout at the combine or his pro day even though he was healthy. Red flag.

So while I understand your point about the outside agendas that often pepper this site, in my case at least I have none. There were better options for similar money available out there.

I’d just add that the same holds true at left tackle. Oli Udoh and Yosh Nijman who I was pushing for got similar money deals as Okorafor. They’re not as experienced but they simply played better, they’re more athletic.

And I also don’t buy into the notion that “not everyone can be superstars” on your roster. While I agree with that in theory you also have to sign the best players and athletes available who can do the job. Schooler is a superior athlete, even if he only plays special teams he is a plus athlete.

Hawkins doesn’t bother me as much as the left tackle position, safety is not as desperate a need assuming Duggar is back… but these are average/poor athletes and bad signings. I could be wrong.

The patriots rookie pool IS INDEED $15M. After the offset for the players they replace on the top 51, the cost to sign the rookies will be $8.8M.

The net cap impact is $8.03M per Miguel.

20240326_140156.jpg

It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
Back