PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Pats hire Drew Wilkins as OLB coach

holyredeemer

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score

Spent a lot of years in Baltimore and coached OLB’s there. Followed Wink to NY and held the same position before recently being let go. Anyone associated with Baltimores defense is okay with me.

Does that wrap up the defensive side of the ball? We’re moving! Keep em coming Mayo.

Long time assistant for Baltimore who followed Martindale to the Giants. Still very young. Interesting hire.

Pardon my ignorance, but an nfl team now has both a LBs and an OLBs coach ?

Like this hire but the big missing piece is WR coach. I'm more interested in that than in the SB.

Like this hire but the big missing piece is WR coach. I'm more interested in that than in the SB.
It’s definitely going to be interesting to see what happens with all the left over offensive positions. I like this hire. Young guy with experience. Bright future ahead of him. That’s what we need at WR.

It seems to be common lately. I think it’s going to be like Hightower will be the LB coach and Wilkins the assistant mainly because HT knows the defense inside and out and it may be new for Wilkins. I think it’s going to gravitate in that direction. Just my opinion.

Last edited:
we've had that split since 2019... last integrated LB coach we had was Brian Flores in 2018

only a matter of time till we have a strong-side linebackers coach and a weak-side linebackers coach

It's the good old boys network on steroids. The NYFL has money to burn and they'd rather give it to management than to the players, who they treat as slaves.

Michael Holley spoke about the way the NYFL overvalues coaching recently and I agree with him 100%. He claims that the NYFL has always done it but it's worse now.

only a matter of time till we have a strong-side linebackers coach and a weak-side linebackers coach
Hmmm. Possible. Run/Pass responsibilities, technique, recognition, reaction, etc are quite different.

It’s encouraging that Wink Martindale thinks so highly of him. He basically quit when the Giants fired Wilkins.

Sadly that distinction at LB hardly even exists anymore. LBs need to be able to play all over

Wait, this was new information people may not be aware of. Why did you delete my new thread which you encourage and merged it here. I'm confused.

I wonder if Judon lobbied for Wilkins?

In 2018, the Ravens were the NFL's No. 1-ranked defense, allowing an NFL-best 292.9 yards per game. Baltimore also permitted the league's second-fewest points per game (17.9). Baltimore was also among the best in other key defensive categories in 2018, including ranking third in third-down defense (34.1%), fourth in rushing yards allowed (82.9 ypg) and fifth in passing yards permitted (210.0 ypg). The Ravens' 80.6 defensive passer rating stood second, only behind the Bears' 72.9 mark.
In 2017, Wilkins worked with a defensive unit that led the league in both takeaways (34) and INTs (22). He also helped mentor OLB Matthew Judon, who had a breakout season by leading the team in tackles for loss (17) and ranking second in sacks (8).

It's the good old boys network on steroids. The NYFL has money to burn and they'd rather give it to management than to the players, who they treat as slaves.

Michael Holley spoke about the way the NYFL overvalues coaching recently and I agree with him 100%. He claims that the NYFL has always done it but it's worse now.
oh look,warren sapp posts here! :rofl:
coaching is not overvalued. this is just...an amazing comment altogether.

That's the NFL for you. When I first started watching football I was shocked by size of coaching staff.

Coaching is everything, but more coaches is not always better. That's more people to manage and harmonize.

2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
Back