PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Player Signing Pats sign Antonio Gibson, RB

Stevenson is twice the player Gibson is.
Gibson is a receiver out the backfield, a big back who can run routes, and get open in space, he's the perfect complementary piece to My guy rham, rham is hard nosed, physical, quick on his feet excellent between the tackles.. a top 10 back for sure. Only knock on rham is he gets knicked alot. Gibson is a nice player to have if rham misses time. Harris also got better last season.

A friend of mine, who unfortunately tends to know quite a bit on a lot of players, tells me he is not good.

So can people tell why he is good?

A friend of mine, who unfortunately tends to know quite a bit on a lot of players, tells me he is not good.

Because he'll be in a defined role here that takes advantage of his strengths, presumably.

If you're looking for Gibson to be your every-down back, you're going to be very disappointed. Just like the Commanders will be disappointed in Austin Eckler.

Just random: he had more receptions on way fewer targets than Tee Higgins. Plus he's got a ton of speed. That being said, I haven't watched anything, so it's right out of my starfish. Did your friend elaborate on the not good part?

Just random: he had more receptions on way fewer targets than Tee Higgins. Plus he's got a ton of speed. That being said, I haven't watched anything, so it's right out of my starfish. Did your friend elaborate on the not good part?
Gets injured, fumbles the ball. Average skills.

James Robinson vibes.

I’ve watched a number of Commanders games the last few seasons due to fantasy football. He never did anything impressive when I watched. He is a downgrade from 30+ y/o Zeke.

JAG.

Many are comparing Gibson to Zeke. I don't agree with that. I get that, as of right now, it's Zeke out and Gibson in, but I don't think they really play the same position to be honest. Let's just use the last 3 years as an example...

Last year it was Zeke and Stevenson splitting time. The year before that it was Stevenson and Harris splitting time. But the year before that? It was Harris and Stevenson splitting time but with a role carved out for Brandon Bolden as a receiving back. I think Gibson will fill that role. He'll take some of the snaps vacated by Zeke and also some from Stevenson but he's more carving out a new role than directly replacing Zeke.

As of right now, I think Kevin Harris is the guy who's really "replacing" Zeke most directly. Stevenson will continue to be the main guy and then Harris will be the one who spells him. Gibson's role will be separate entity as the receiving back, which is new compared to the last 2 years.

One of the things that I am excited about is him out wide in empty sets because he is actually a threat. I have hated seeing us trot out a RB out wide that is a "decoy". As long as we are aware that he is a 3rd down back and not an every down workhorse we will be fine. Having him on the field can allow for more creative use of a WR lined up in the backfield. I feel like Washington was trying to use him in roles he is meant for.

Brings back memories of James White and Kevin Faulk, hopefully he can fill this role that has been lacking on this team.

What context does your friend say he is "not good"?

Early on in WAS he had a 1000 yard season. Early on there was optimism that he'd be a complete running back, a 3-down guy. That hasn't materialized. But he has a good receiving skill set and by most accounts has become a solid pass protector. He exhibits a lot of the traits you want to see out of a "passing down" back specifically. Doesn't seem cut out to be a good full time RB like Stevenson is, but in a defined role he seems to project well. In WAS, he had those expectations of growing into a full time guy and in that sense, he wasn't very good.

What context does your friend say he is "not good"?

Early on in WAS he had a 1000 yard season. Early on there was optimism that he'd be a complete running back, a 3-down guy. That hasn't materialized. But he has a good receiving skill set and by most accounts has become a solid pass protector. He exhibits a lot of the traits you want to see out of a "passing down" back specifically. Doesn't seem cut out to be a good full time RB like Stevenson is, but in a defined role he seems to project well. In WAS, he had those expectations of growing into a full time guy and in that sense, he wasn't very good.
That's the thing; we should have gone with an every down back since they were available for cheap.

Basically he gets injured, he fumbles and just an average rusher.

Brings back memories of James White and Kevin Faulk, hopefully he can fill this role that has been lacking on this team.
James White he is not.

Would rather have had Eukler for about the same price. Still his skill set fits a gaping need. Could be a HR. Could be just average. Only time will tell, but on the surface a decent signing. Who is left who can play LT.

That's the thing; we should have gone with an every down back since they were available for cheap.

Basically he gets injured, he fumbles and just an average rusher.

I don't think that's an either-or though. A lot of these "every down" backs get called that because they catch a lot of passes. Zeke and Stevenson are good examples of that for us last year. Sure, they can catch a dumpoff, but they aren't running real routes. A guy like Gibson you can motion out of the backfield. do creative things with. That stuff helps you create favorable matchups and stress coverages in different ways, which helps make reads easier for a QB and make up for lack of top receivers who dictate coverages. Even with more "every down" guys I always love having someone like Gibson too.

Ask your friend to just look at the game he had against us last season for a starting point. And our defense was top 5 against the run last season.

You'll eat those words he's a former WR turned RB throw it anywhere near him and he'll catch it. :cool:
lol I’m pretty confident I won’t.

lol I’m pretty confident I won’t.
AVP will use him well I bet you see Gibson have a career year Receiving Defenses' are going to fear him just watch. We haven't had a real Third Down RB since sweet feet James White Retired. :cool:

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back