PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Per ESPN: Redskins release DE Jason Taylor

Status
Not open for further replies.
As much as i would love to have Taylor be a Patriot, lets be realistic. He is old and we are looking to get younger!! We need youth and speed. Lets grab Larry English to convert to OLB or just snag Clay Matthews and let AT mentor him to be a lethal pass rusher! If any Free Agent we need i say CB. Lets get Bodden on the Phone and TELL HIM TO SIGN THE ******* CONTRACT!!! :beatingcoming:

What are you smoking? Is there any sane reason to think that BB would throw $$$$ at Peppers?

Peppers has said numerous times he wants to play in a 3-4 and has the size, speed, and the ability to set the edge to be an outside LB in our system. Plus, we're one of the teams he wants to play for. I don't see why BB wouldn't AT LEAST take a look at him. He's not what you would call a "sure thing" by any means because he's played in a 4-3 for most of his career but he is a gifted athlete and a freak on the field. I would take a shot at him for a one year deal (to be extended if he picks up our system well). Sort of like the deal Moss got...

Peppers has said numerous times he wants to play in a 3-4 and has the size, speed, and the ability to set the edge to be an outside LB in our system. Plus, we're one of the teams he wants to play for. I don't see why BB wouldn't AT LEAST take a look at him. He's not what you would call a "sure thing" by any means because he's played in a 4-3 for most of his career but he is a gifted athlete and a freak on the field. I would take a shot at him for a one year deal (to be extended if he picks up our system well). Sort of like the deal Moss got...

Do people not understand that Peppers is franchised so would cost two 1st round picks, whereas Taylor is a free agent?

Its funny because on Sunday I was talking to my brother about the fact that the Skins were going to cut Jason Taylor since he counted 8.5 mill against the cap and would cost them nothing to cut.

Taylor had a major injury last year early in the season. One in which he almost died and only emergency surgery saved his life. So, yes, his numbers were down. But when you look at the number of PDs he had, you'd see that he's still got what it takes.

Also, Taylor has played OLB in the 3-4. He did it under Saban and had a career year with it after balking initially. I think that Taylor would be much easier to bring in as a 3-4 OLB, both at a cost and experience factor, while Woods, Redd, Crable, Craig develop, than the trial under fire that Peppers would go through.

Do people not understand that Peppers is franchised so would cost two 1st round picks, whereas Taylor is a free agent?

I'll be the first to admit I don't know much about the franchise tag but I seem to remember a certain backup quarterback who was also franchised and did not cost the team that signed him two first round picks...

They had him wrapped up in Ben Gay on the bench. Forget this guy, he's done.

He's not done. He suffered a life threatening injury early in the year. One that required emergency surgery. So they used him sparingly.

To say that Taylor is done is claiming you can see the future. Which, I am fairly certain you can't.

According to this report from Tampa, Taylor isn't signing with the Bucs:

All-Pro DE Jason Taylor, released earlier today by the Redskins, won't be reuniting with his former Dolphins defensive coordinator, Jim Bates. But that doesn't mean Tampa Bay didn't express interest. We've learned the Bucs contacted Taylor's representative earlier today.

But as of right now, Taylor, 34, seems to be headed elsewhere, possibly in the next day or two.

i understand the "we need to get younger argument" but can't we do that with our draft picks? signing taylor means we get better... this season. i still mainting my argument for signings like taylor is that we only have a a limited time with brady as the best qb so lets use it best we can. obviously using the draft with an eye to the future

Sorry to old an slow. Retreads didnt work for us last year we need to get younger and faster. With 18 million to spend lets revisit this in a few months when we have no more money to spend and old retreads are all thats left.

What's with all those people saying we need to get "younger and faster"???????

Younger and faster doesn't necessarily mean better .... and BB's goal is to get better.

If adding Taylor means the defense gets better than BB won't give two sheeeeets whether it makes his defenses average age higher or not :rolleyes:

What's with all those people saying we need to get "younger and faster"???????

Younger and faster doesn't necessarily mean better .... and BB's goal is to get better.

If adding Taylor means the defense gets better than BB won't give two sheeeeets whether it makes his defenses average age higher or not :rolleyes:

:agree: Younger and faster is great, but considering Seau and Colvin contributed last year, I think Taylor could make a difference on this team. Rotate in an OLB draft pick to prep for the future. It's not like we have to have an all-rookie team.

Matt Cassel was franchised, and he didn't cost KC two 1st round picks. Why? Trade, of course. So the Pats could make a trade with Carolina for a lot less than two 1st round picks.

We can sign Taylor and still be going for a youth movement. You can do both at the same time.

Imagine if we COULD get Peppers cheap... like cheap enough to also sign Taylor.

I know it's ridiculous, of course, but just imagine... hehe.

3rd and 15...

Code:
   Hobbs - Meri - Sanders - Bodden
AD - Taylor - Mayo - Guyton - Peppers
            Warren - Seymour

:D

Last edited:
Taylor for Vrabel wouldn't get us younger but it would get us faster. At the same age, Taylor is a lot faster than Vrabel and did just fine at OLB for Saban.

Despite earlier assumptions, this article suggests we'll know the fate of JT shortly. They might know something since they know he's not going to TB.

Tampa Bay Buccaneers - Tampa Bay Bucs Schedule, News and History | Taylor doesn't appear Tampa-bound

Taylor doesn't appear Tampa-bound

It made so much sense, but it appears it's not gonna happen.

All-Pro DE Jason Taylor, released earlier today by the Redskins, won't be reuniting with his former Dolphins defensive coordinator, Jim Bates. But that doesn't mean Tampa Bay didn't express interest. We've learned the Bucs contacted Taylor's representative earlier today.

But as of right now, Taylor, 34, seems to be headed elsewhere, possibly in the next day or two.

Dude, you joined in 07 and your first post was a compliment to me? Honoured.

It's the whole blind-squirrel thing, haha.
You look at posts to see how long people have been members and how many posts they have? Spooky :D

We can sign Taylor and still be going for a youth movement. You can do both at the same time.

In fact, there's no better way to do it.

The entire problem is that for 2009, there is uncertainty at the OLB position, and specifically to pass rushing.

No one that we draft in 2009 will be able to immediately step in and address the position in all the phases required, setting the edge, dropping in coverage and rushing the passer. [While the coaching staff may know, we have no idea where Crable is in his progression.]

Signing Taylor to a two year deal would give the team the freedom to go young at the position. They have to address the position for 2009, no doubt, finding a stopgap like Taylor on the back 9 is perfect. Frankly, I prefer it to spending more money to tie up a guy like Peppers long term (not that I'd have any problem adding him, not doubting his talent), especially when there are promising OLB options in the draft.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/8: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 5/7: News and Notes
What Did Tom Brady Say During His Netflix Roast?  Here’s the Full Transcript
What Did Drew Bledsoe Say at Tom Brady’s Netflix Roast? Here’s the Full Transcript
What Did Belichick Say at Tom Brady’s Netflix Roast?  Here’s the Full Transcript
Monday Patriots Notebook 5/6: News and Notes
Tom Brady Sustains, Dishes Some Big Hits on Netflix Roast Special
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Back