PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Peter King: Footballs were tampered with by human

Status
Not open for further replies.
If this story (King's), were even remotely true....... the NFL would have already come out and made a statement. It might defer punishment until after the SB, but if there was a shread of evidence that the
"Footballs were tampered with by human", then the investigations would be closed.

If I were a betting man....... I'd go with the theory that the Pats turned in "slightly" underinflated balls and the refs didn't do thier job to specification. The NFL would be LOATHE to admit this so they are in a huge pickle right now, and are probably every bit as pissed at the Colts as the Pats are. Given the article that quoted Rogers suggesting that he deliberately turns in overly inflated balls and "hopes" that they pass through, suggest that the "pressure" checks are widely know to be less then scientific. The only thing that makes sense at this point, from a non-conspiracy stand point is that the balls were under-inflated and the ref just gave then the "charmin" pressure check. If the NFL comes out and says that, then it would basically out the refs as not following the rules, which would call into ?? every game, in every season...

I don't think the NFL is deliberately trying to damage themselves at this point, I think they are trying to "protect the brand", which goes way beyond just this single game.

I think the most likely scenario is that the refs didn't check the balls properly before the game.

Let's assume for a moment that this report is true. Which, granted, is a huge leap given the incredibly poor quality of reporting going on. Still, for the sake of argument, let's give this a pass for the moment.

When trying to solve a locational crime, like a murder, there are generally 2 concepts heavily discussed: Motive and Opportunity. While this may not exactly be a murderous occurence, the manor of investigation likely has some similarities. So, let's start by discussing motive.
  • Do any of the Patriots have a motive?
First of all, running game, 'nuf said. Second, as I understand things, a deflated ball allows for easier gripping and softer catching but at the cost of throwing accuracy. Why would any quarterback want to sacrifice accuracy for any reason? While you cannot rule this out, it seems like a pretty foolish tradeoff for any of the Patriots to make. As Belichick stated in his presser, as we as Pats fans well know, those guys play in all conditions and with all conditions of the ball. I'm sure they wouldn't even think to bother with something risky like this given that they practice with normal footballs every. single. day. Brady, from what we know of him, is not the kind of guy to put his needs ahead of the team. Other team members are not likely to go against what Brady deems acceptable for his footballs. Perhaps some misguided low-man-on-the-totem-pole could have been involved for misguided reasons. This is possible, but not likely.
  • Do any of the Colts have a motive?
Given that lowering the PSI affects ball accuracy, sure, the Colts have a pony in this race, too. It could be that the Colts thought the only way to win this game was interceptions. Or alternatively they simply sought to sully the reputation of the Patriots franchise for funzies. I find that far less likely but cannot be ruled out. Given that this could have been malicious intent from the top, or simply some misguided scrub at the bottom rung trying to "help" his team luck their way into victory. Yeah, its possible but not likely. Still, stranger things have happened.
  • Could someone outside of these 2 organizations have a vested interest in the outcome of this game?
Sure. Let's name a few:
  1. Anyone with a large bet or financial interest on the game
  2. misguided fans of either team
  3. someone with a vendetta against the Pats or Colts (possibly inside the league, possibly outside the league)
  4. someone from the media trying to stir the pot and make a name for himself (*cough*Mort*cough*).
Now we've come to opportunity. When it comes to opportunity, it really seems like almost no one realistically has a way to deflate a football without being recorded doing it. Given all the cameras, I am somewhat at a loss here. However, since we are assuming this report to be true for the sake of this exercise, we should assume a person was able to affect the balls off camera.

It seems to me that the first people to regard with suspicion would be the Patriots ball boy, the equipment manager of the Patriots, and the referees. Any of these people could have been bribed to carry out the wishes of the briber. After those people, I'm not really sure anyone has realistic access that wouldn't have raised suspicion. But neither can I rule it out since it is nearly as outlandish as the primary conclusion.

I would like to point out that just because the ball boy and the equipment manager are in the Patriots employ, it does not mandate that their actions were at the behest of any individual within the Patriots organization. The same is true for the referees in this game. Just because they are employed by the league doesn't mean their actions, either in part or in whole, were in any way sanctioned by the league.

The reality here is we have no information about opportunity because the NFL has no intention of providing any insight into their investigation for quite some time. It is my sincere hope that the NFL delivers an unbiased report of their findings in this matter. Given that they do have a vested interest in the outcome, I recognize that the chances of this are small, particularly given that every NFL appointed ref is a prime suspect. In the meantime, the Patriots are going to continue to take this on the chin.

TL;DR Anyone could have done this. We have no real information. Also, bad puns.

Last edited:
Yes, but supposedly they have specific data from before the game when apparently that is something of a rarity.

What seems most likely is that NE under-inflated the ball in the first place, the refs gave it a casual once over, and then the low balls were - shockingly! - found to be low at halftime. The whole clandestine post-check deflating is what has people riled up and it appears to be the least likely scenario.

That is plausible and what I thought as well. However, in order for this to gain any traction, NE needs to say that they didn't actually measure the balls before providing them to the refs and I thought I heard BB say in his press conference that they did measure them at 12.5. Am I mistaken?

King is wrong, they weren't altered by humans.

Marvin balls.jpg

That is plausible and what I thought as well. However, in order for this to gain any traction, NE needs to say that they didn't actually measure the balls before providing them to the refs and I thought I heard BB say in his press conference that they did measure them at 12.5. Am I mistaken?

IIRC Bill said that it was his understanding that Tom preffered his bal...... err footballs ;) on the lighter side, which is 12.5. He did not specifically say they were "measured" at that. Just that that was his understanding of Tom's preference (you'll have to talk to Tom about that).

PSI drops 18% between 100 degrees F and 0 degrees F. Therefore if the balls were filled indoors at 75 degrees and checked at 45 degrees outdoors hours later, the greatest drop would be about 6%, which is NO WHERE near 2 lbs PSI (It would bring the ball to 11.75 PSI, not 10.5). The temperture change was simply not enough to explain this, not even close actually.

Read the article in the boston globe in which a Phyiscist Schmaltz says it would take 30 minutes for a 1 or 2 PSI drop in those the games temperatures

IIRC Bill said that it was his understanding that Tom preffered his bal...... err footballs ;) on the lighter side, which is 12.5. He did not specifically say they were "measured" at that. Just that that was his understanding of Tom's preference (you'll have to talk to Tom about that).

Thank you for that clarification. I really should read the transcript to get the correct facts....hmmmm.

Why wouldn't the press have simply asked the question "Were the balls measured before providing them to the refs?"

I would hope the NFL at least asked this and when they do make their statements/judgement that their investigative steps and facts are presented or at least scrutinized.
Also, what proof or supporting evidence exists for the "report" that the refs measured all balls. Is there a log prepared showing the exact measurement of each ball and the id of each?

Note one issue, which may lie at the heart of this whole nonsense saga: The 12 Patriots footballs all left the officials' locker room at the prescribed pressure level according to King. Were they "officially" checked via pressure gauge before the game? King does not say this. He does, however, specifically mention "pressure gauges" both at half-time and after the game, which is irrelevant. If the officials did a squeeze test rather than a gauge test before the game started, then the Pats are completely off the hook. This would be a lot easier if the NFL made specific allegations. They say nothing. It is persecution via supposed insider leaked information to NFL lackey "investigative reporters." The NFL needs to make specific allegations. Otherwise, all that we have seen or read is nothing but uncorroborated speculation.

Bingo. I believe this is the truth, that they didn't measure with a gauge before the game. This correlates to the other thread/article about the Chicago ball boy who said the pregame check is usually a squeeze test.

If they had tested with a gauge and recorded those results for all 50 balls, then I don't know what the league is waiting for, this would be over, Pats guilty. Schefter said yesterday there is a lack of proof of any wrongdoing.

More than 5 -- there's also the "sauna" scenario, in which the Patriots' balls were cleverly inflated at a higher ambient temperature than the Colts' balls were, shortly before the official pressure measurement.

Which I find quite plausible and not illegal. A sauna is about 140 degrees, so almost a 100 degree swing to the outside ambient temp. Fill them full of hot air to 12.5, nature brings them down to under 11.

Once again a warning
Who said PSI gauges are accurate? Have they been calibrated?
There is also the unknown about how much compressing the gas in the pump itself raises the temperature. I know this is a factor filling scuba tanks.
There is also the fact that measuring PSI lowers the pressure as some air escapes, I don't know if this is minuscule or tenths of a PSI on the next measurement. Readily answered via experiment.

Bottom line is that even though I 1st posted PV=nRT, math alone does not give the precise answer.
Real world measurements of real NFL footballs using readily available temperature chambers gives the closest approximation. Believe those results if done in a controlled manner over a calculation. Were I Bob Kraft I'd have a local engineering lab do all of this for me and write a report. Could be done in a day.

Given this, there's the added complication that a team's pressure gauge could be mis-calibrated vs one used by the refs. I'd bet anything that the league and the teams do not check the calibration on their pressure gauges. It's too trivial.

If he is saying that, then it can easily and plausibly make perfect sense.

The Gay-Lussac Law is all about one thing: PSI is lost as temperatures cool and PSI is gained as temperatures rise.

In every scenario, you've GOT to know at what temperature the footballs were filled (and refilled) at.

You've GOT to know this for every set of footballs, every time they get filled with air.

Otherwise it is criminal to point to the Colt's footballs with their unchanging PSI and exclaim that they are the control group (without knowing at what temperature their footballs were filled at).

Exactly. And also exactly what the pressure of the Colts balls were.

I wonder if the officials are lying to cover their ass. They probably just did a 'squeeze' test.

I just can't see Tom Brady deliberately doing this.

I don't know how much I believe the Glazer sting scenario because it would mean league intentionally let possibly bad balls go for half the game.
i'm skeptical of the sting scenario for a different reason. if they were conducting a sting to catch the patriots in the act of altering the balls, why do it indirectly by measuring and re-measuring ball pressures? just have a camera surreptitiously pointed at the ball bag at all times and have league officials watching the bag at all times. definitive proof, no need for a long, drawn out investigation.

Yea I bundle the whole "climate" stuff in #2.

How about this one...
Because Brady likes his balls soft, someone inflated at a lower temp, moved to a warm location where the pressure increased to 12.5- measurement taken then once outside/climate change went down to 10.5.

That is sneaky. LOL

But not against the rules as written. What are they going to put into the rule? A requirement that all teams move to San Diego where the temperature is relatively stable?

But not against the rules as written. What are they going to put into the rule? A requirement that all teams move to San Diego where the temperature is relatively stable?

They should take the rule out entirely and just require what they are currently enforcing. The footballs should be required to pass a visual inspection and a squeeze test. They should verify that the footballs are not scuffed and at a reasonable inflation level, at the judgement of the ref crew.

They should take the rule out entirely and just require what they are currently enforcing. The footballs should be required to pass a visual inspection and a squeeze test. They should verify that the footballs are not scuffed and at a reasonable inflation level, at the judgement of the ref crew.

I think scuffing is allowed. Read the NY Times article about the abuse applied to Eli's balls before they are used in a game (I think you can find it in the original "Here we go again" thread.

Once again a warning
Who said PSI gauges are accurate? Have they been calibrated?
There is also the unknown about how much compressing the gas in the pump itself raises the temperature. I know this is a factor filling scuba tanks.
There is also the fact that measuring PSI lowers the pressure as some air escapes, I don't know if this is minuscule or tenths of a PSI on the next measurement. Readily answered via experiment.

Bottom line is that even though I 1st posted PV=nRT, math alone does not give the precise answer.
Real world measurements of real NFL footballs using readily available temperature chambers gives the closest approximation. Believe those results if done in a controlled manner over a calculation. Were I Bob Kraft I'd have a local engineering lab do all of this for me and write a report. Could be done in a day.

Given this, there's the added complication that a team's pressure gauge could be mis-calibrated vs one used by the refs. I'd bet anything that the league and the teams do not check the calibration on their pressure gauges. It's too trivial.

Full.Of.Win.

Also, it sounded like the refs had multiple gauges. Was each football measured with the same gauge before and after?

I doubt that the hand-held gauges they use are scientifically accurate to within 0.25 psi. I'd like to see some calibration data on those units. Not to mention variability introduced if different personnel conduct each test.

Ridiculous. They're balls, freaking balls. Chances the Patriots have a secret guy going around trying to take a tiny bit of air out of a ball= zero

Like all other people they probably fill them up when they get them. If they start to feel low they put a few more pumps in.

Why don't the refs, players, or coaches treat them like a piece of laboratory equipment? Because they're balls, unless they are flat like zero psi, or so full the shape is deformed it ain't that big a deal.

I think scuffing is allowed. Read the NY Times article about the abuse applied to Eli's balls before they are used in a game (I think you can find it in the original "Here we go again" thread.

Well, whatever they currently enforce is what the rule should reflect.

I wonder if the officials are lying to cover their ass. They probably just did a 'squeeze' test.

I just can't see Tom Brady deliberately doing this.

This makes the most sense and I hope is what happened to the balls. However, good luck getting the NFL to admit they made a mistake.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST