PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

QB Strategy to Replace Mac

n6249c

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
NFL insider believes Mac Jones' cause is lost in New England

I agree with Breer, so I want to explore what the options might be for finding Mac a new home, and the Patriots a new QB. If you disagree that Mac needs to go please discuss that point of view too. Particularly whether Mac has any whiff of hope to be the starter, or is his only future in Foxboro as backup to some QB who isn’t even on the roster yet?

Same question applies to other teams. Do they still see him as a potential starter, or is he now viewed only as a backup?

it seems to me that the best possible scenario would be trading Mac like for like, for another rookie prospect who flamed out on the big stage. But I don’t follow the rest of the NFL closely enough to know if there are any likely trading partners for such a move. Any ideas?

if not a player for player swap, what teams might be in the market, and what would a fair trade look like? I’m sure we Pats fans will have our usual inflated sense of trade value, how strong his market is. Is there even any market for him at all? If there’s no market does he just get cut, to finish getting the toxic residue of the past couple of seasons out of the building?

I think the Pats need to make at least three, or oossibly four moves to address the QB need.

First I‘d like to see Mac traded, ideally for a QB with some NFL experience. A like for like trade for a rookie who failed to live up to expectations seems ideal, to give them both a chance at a fresh start. A good outcome would be getting a serviceable backup, with upside as potential starter. If no player trade can be found take the best draft pick offered. If none keep Mac on the 90 and cut him before the season starts even if it’s just to keep Zappe (more on him in a moment).

Second, sign a free agent veteran QB. Same expected outcome, a serviceable backup, with upside as potential starter. Not sure who I’d prefer but there are certainly a fair number of good candidates. Plenty of room for discussion here.

Third, assuming the first two moves yield two players with NFL experience at QB, draft an OT at #3 and the best available QB as soon after as possible, trading up if necessary to do so. If Mac doesn’t get traded for another QB consider reversing my preferences, taking a QB at #3 and OT as soon as possible thereafter. Trading up to get good players at both positions would be great. I hope other folks were learning from watching Bill concoct draft day trades! To me OT is priority, as was said in another thread a bad LT can ruin a rookie QB, but not the other way round.

Fourth, double dip at QB in the draft. Take the best available prospect early, then later draft for value with a solid but raw developmental prospect.

Zappe might be worth keeping as backup, but I don’t think he’ll ever be a solid starter and I think the backup has to be able to start a few games over a season so as much as I like Zappe I’d prefer to see an upgrade.

That‘s how I see it, what are your thoughts?

Last edited:
While I don't see Jones as the long term solution in Foxboro, I could easily foresee a situation where the Patriots draft a QB but decide that QB isn't ready to start week 1, leaving Jones as the short term fill in.

While I don't see Jones as the long term solution in Foxboro, I could easily foresee a situation where the Patriots draft a QB but decide that QB isn't ready to start week 1, leaving Jones as the short term fill in.
Interesting idea. I was inclined to agree with Breer, thinking the choice with Jones is more binary where he’s either gone or the team is giving him another year to show he can start. If he’s gone I think they really need two QBs, because I don’t think Zappe is the solution as backup, as much as I like him. But you have me wondering if they’d keep Jones as backup.

Coach Mayo will lose the team on Day 1 if Mac Jones returns as starter.

Mac as starter is no different than soldiers going to war armed with spoons.

Coach Mayo will lose the team on Day 1 if Mac Jones returns as starter.

Mac as starter is no different than soldiers going to war armed with spoons.
Unfortunately, spoons are all the Patriots have in their war chest. And I would much rather drive Jones into the ground than risk starting the future of the franchise before he is ready.

Unfortunately, spoons are all the Patriots have in their war chest. And I would much rather drive Jones into the ground than risk starting the future of the franchise before he is ready.
It’s not as simple as Jones or the newly drafted rookie.

another thread suggested Darnold. And got quite a list of alternatives in response:

There are so many other free agent QBs available, with better résumés. It's nice that Darnold humbly accepted the role of a backup, and learned from Kyle Shanahan, Klint Kubiak and Brian Griese. But Darnold got so little playing time, the only thing we have to go on is his years with the Jets and Carolina. His career stats are not good: always at about 59-60% completion rate, with almost as many interceptions as touchdowns.

Look at what other free agent QBs are available:
- Jacoby Brissett
- Ryan Tannehill
- Tyrod Taylor
- Marcus Mariota
- Drew Lock
- Jameis Winston
- Gardner Minshew
- Teddy Bridgewater
- Joe Flacco
- Joshua Dobbs
- Blaine Gabbert
- Carson Wentz
- Mason Rudolph

Plenty of better options. Some team will give him a shot as a reclamtion project - but a reclamation project is not what the Patriots need right now.

Would the Bears swap Fields for Jones, maybe with a pick thrown in as sweetener?

Choose Your Patriots QB: Is a Justin Fields trade the right move?

The Bears are going to pass up multiple first round picks so they can draft a QB to replace Fields. They could get 3 first rounders from teams like the Falcons, Broncos, Raiders etc… but they want to get rid of Fields so badly that they would pass on that haul so as to get rid of him and draft another QB at #1. Given they why on earth would any other team give anything for him? I wouldn’t give a bucket of spit for him.

Interesting idea. I was inclined to agree with Breer, thinking the choice with Jones is more binary where he’s either gone or the team is giving him another year to show he can start. If he’s gone I think they really need two QBs, because I don’t think Zappe is the solution as backup, as much as I like him. But you have me wondering if they’d keep Jones as backup.

If they keep Mac Jones and play him then everyone involved with that decision should be fired, and if it’s Kraft the league should force him to sell the team. I would rather see them take a high school QB and playuim than to ever let Mac Jones play another down for them. Who the **** keeps coming up with this crap?

I think a major component of the QB strategy to replace Mac Jones depends on the team's evaluation of the Top 3 rookie QB prospects. Specifically, will the Patriots be content to draft whichever of those three is still available? If so then the roster building at QB whittles down to a veteran bridge/backup - probably a free agent signing. Trading Mac for another reclamation project would fill the role of QB3, not QB2.

If on the other hand the Pats decide that one or more of Williams/Maye/Daniels is not worthy of the #3 pick, the team has to have a Plan B and Plan C in place. What are you going to do with that #3 pick? Draft MJH Jr? Draft Alt at OT? Try to trade down and maybe draft an OT, and then a QB with the next pick? In that scenario the veteran FA QB that you sign becomes even more important.

If you draft MJH Jr at #3, what is the plan for OT and QB?
If you draft OT Alt at #3, what is the plan for QB and WR?

If you plan to trade down, you have to figure out a realistic return with each of several potential trade partners.
You also have to have contingency plans if that team lowballs you, or is simply not interested in trading up.

All of this makes your free agency decisions that much more important. The draft may be the key, but it happens after free agency.
You don't want to back yourself into a corner based on what you were not able to achieve in free agency, resulting in having to reach for a player based on poistional need.

I don’t want Mac anywhere near our QB of the future. Especially if those reports of how toxic our QB room was are true.

Not sure if he should be anywhere near the future franchise QB. If reports of his personality conflicts etc are true.

I think it is best for the team and Mac that they go their separate ways. Even with Belichick gone, there is too much baggage as Breer said. I bet the locker room is divided on him with some given up on his entirely and others thinking he got a raw deal by Belichick. But it is difficult to impossible to win the people who have given up on him back.

The right move is easy, you have the 3rd pick in the draft so you take one there. The hard part is it working out, you just never know. But it’s a risk the team has no choice but to take.

Jimmy will be a free agent.

AVo coached Mayfield in Cleveland, yes?

Wilson might be a free agent.

Brissett is a free agent.

If the Pats don’t think #3 is worth a QB, which of these guys or someone else would you want?

Three seem like placeholders - so draft maybe a Rattler and let sit a year?

If AVP has inside knowledge and fondness for Mayfield, get him? Could he be pried away from Tampa?

I'd like to see Mayo start over. Trade Mac, cut Zappe loose and get a more capable veteran back up QB. The #3 pick is 99.9% most likely to be used on a QB.

The Bears are going QB and moving on from Fields. Why would the Pats want him?

Bring Jones back for 2024 in this new offense that could be perfect for Corky. Draft Marv Harrison @ # 3 and have a WR to throw to.

I see at least 4 wins here - Seahawks in Mass, Indy, Titans and Cardinals or Bears.

lxzwwycmrpczrz2ibyts.jpg

The Bears are going QB and moving on from Fields. Why would the Pats want him?

Bring Jones back for 2024 in this new offense that could be perfect for Corky. Draft Marv Harrison @ # 3 and have a WR to throw to.

I see at least 4 wins here - Seahawks in Mass, Indy, Titans and Cardinals or Bears.

lxzwwycmrpczrz2ibyts.jpg
I don’t think Kraft is going to sell out his stadium with Mac back.
He knows he need a franchise QB.
If we don’t walk away with in no particular order Fields, Mayfield, Willams.Maye,Daniels,McCarthy,Nix, Pennix, Cousins, it’s going to be empty in Gillette and we are setting up the new regime for failure.
Path to respect is easy, Go after Pittman and Gabe Davis, trade down with Atlanta so then can get Daniel’s, getting a first a second and Kyle Pitts,
Take the pick you got from Atlanta moving back up
For McCarthy or Nix if you can or setllr
For Fields.
option 2 instead of trading with Atlanta trade with Chicago so they get Harrison Jr and you get their first Fields and a Third.
Option 3 is you take Harrison JR at 3 then trade resources to move up for
One of Maye, McCarthy, Nix, or trade for Fields.
Option 4 you blow Mayfield away with an offer and get him one of Pittman or Gabe Davis and you draft Marvin Harrison at 3.
Option 5 you trade pick 3 with a team in the 20s and get a treasure trove or resources.
Trading with a team such as Denver also could
Net you Their first and second Surtain one
Of the 2 WRs and Stidham which is a better bridge QB than anything on our current roster. A lot of fun possibilities.
You really can’t screw this up.

It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
Back