PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

RB Rankings and Analysis: Thoughts?

midwestpatsfan

Rotational Player and Threatening Starter's Job
Reaction score
Well, I finally finished up typing my notes on the RB's in this years draft and since the QB rankings had a pretty good response, I thought I would share my thoughts on the RBs. I hope you all enjoy and would love to get some feedback on what you think.

Running Back Rankings and Scouting Reports:​
#1. Jeremy Hill, LSU:
Positives: Size, speed, and athleticism. Moves like a running back 20 lbs. lighter. Great burst to hit the hole hard and great power to run over people. Good balance, decent vision finding the hole. Does not lose speed when making cut. Does not seem to dance behind the line of scrimmage. Average but improving hands as a pass catching option. Has the next gear to be a homerun hitter. To me, seems like a combo of Stephen Ridley and Legarette Blount.
Negatives: Off field issues almost got him kicked off the team. Immaturity could be an issue. On the field he does run a little high at times which can lead to bigger hits to the body. Needs to improve his pass blocking skills if he is going to play on 3rd down.
#2. Carlos Hyde, Ohio State:
Positives: A true beast running the ball. Big and powerful guy who is tough to bring down on first contact. Has good vision, leverage and balance, always falls forwards on runs. A true downhill runner that will get his yards by powering over people rather than running around guys.
Negatives: Speed and overall athleticism is limited. Not a homerun hitter in the NFL, but more of a 4 to 5 yards on every carry type of guy. Will not be flashy. Hands as a pass catcher improved this past year, but still have a ways to go to be a true threat. Not much of a pass blocker for a guy his size.
#3. Ka’Deem Carey, Arizona:
Positives: Very productive in both the running and passing game. Natural hands coming out of the backfield. Runs with good pad level. Has a good initial burst. Has great balance. Can run inside or out.
Negatives: More quick than fast. A lot of carries over the past 2 years. Straight line speed is not elite. Saw far too many runs into the back of his lineman giving me concerns about his vision. Off field issues are a concern.
4. Tre Mason, Auburn:
Positives: Quick feet, good balance. He hits the hole hard, is a one cut and go runner. Good vision, great patience waiting for the play to develop. Has experience as a kick returner.
Negatives: Size is not ideal for the NFL and durability could be an issue. While he is fast, he is does not have that extra gear you would expect from a smaller back. Hands are unknown because he was rarely used in the passing game.
5. Lache Seastrunk, Baylor:
Positives: Great speed and balance. Stays compact and low. Gifted athletically. Does not lose his speed when he makes his cuts. Has the 2nd gear to outrun defenders. Can run inside and out. Can stop and go on a dime, makes defenders miss.
Negatives: Dances in the backfield a little too much for my liking. Would rather see him take the yards that are there rather than try to make the spectacular play. Pass blocking will need to be worked on and surprisingly not used a lot in Baylor’s prolific passing attack.
6. Bishop Sankey, Washington:
Positives: Good burst and vision to find the hole and hit it quickly. Smaller runner but falls forward and makes a lot of defenders miss. Has the strength to break out of arm tackles. Decent pass protector. Good hands and catches the ball naturally making him a valuable asset on 3rd down. Team Captain.
Negatives: Size is a concern. He is a skinny guy. Has never missed a game, but durability at the next level could be a concern. Lots of carries over the past two seasons. May be more of a 3rd down/change of pace back as I don’t think he can carry the full load.
7. Devonta Freeman, FSU:
Positives: Powerful runner with great balance and low pad level, making him very hard to tackle. Shows good vision and patients to find the hole and hit it. Above average pass catcher and reliable blocker in the passing game.
Negatives: Lacks ideal height, although he is very strong so that does not concern me a ton. He does not have fantastic top end speed for a smaller back. Not all that elusive either. Would rather try to run over a tackler than around, even though he may be better suited trying the latter.
8. Marion Grice, Arizona State:
Positives: Good balance and vision. Good hands and is natural catching the ball. Falls forward on runs. Is a north south runner, does not dance. Good size. Reliable with ball and will bounce off arm tackles.
Negatives: Not a home run hitter, runs upright leaving him exposed to big hits. Does not have that 2nd gear. Takes time for him to get up to top speed. Medical concerns. Must work on pass protection.
9. Charles Sims, WVU:
Positives: Good balance, is decisive with his runs, does not dance. Good blocking skills in pass game, great option out of the backfield in the passing game.
Negatives: Not overly fast, tends to turn away from tacklers, leaving his back exposed to hits. Runs with the ball upright. Lacks initial explosion, takes a while to get up to top speed.
10. Terrance West, Townson:
Positives: Prototypical size for an NFL running back. Possesses good to great balance, patience, vision, and power. Takes multiple people to bring him down. Good jump cut and agility for a bigger back.
Negatives: Was a man among boys against lesser competition, will be interesting to see how he does with the jump up in talent. Will not wow you with his breakaway speed. Needs to work on his pass protection and need to find out more about him as far as a pass catcher. Tends to want to bounce a lot of runs outside, which worked against lesser competition, but might be a struggle in the NFL.

Just on the outside looking in:
Andre Williams, BC
Storm Johnson, UCF
James White, Wisconson
Antonio Andrews, WKU
D’anthony Thomas, Oregon

I've yet to put any significant time into RBs but another fine job and I find it hard to disagree with your top four.

I'm not saying he should be on your list, but Lorenzo Taliaferro of Coastal Carolina is a good late round/UDFA option for the Pats, especially if they don't resign Blount.

A guy going late that I love is De'Anthony Thomas, so much to love about him, will probably rise to 3-5 round after combine. 3 guys that will probably go undrafted that will make this Pats team if given the shot or catch the "Foxborough Flu" are Prince-Tyson Gulley of 'Cuse (tailback/scatback), Ben Malena of TAMU, and Henry Josey of Mizzou (will be a huge steal)

I've yet to put any significant time into RBs but another fine job and I find it hard to disagree with your top four.

I'm not saying he should be on your list, but Lorenzo Taliaferro of Coastal Carolina is a good late round/UDFA option for the Pats, especially if they don't resign Blount.

Taliaferro is definitely a guy on my radar. I am not sure if he is a FB at the next level or not, but I really like his game. He is a very good pass protector as well.

A guy going late that I love is De'Anthony Thomas, so much to love about him, will probably rise to 3-5 round after combine. 3 guys that will probably go undrafted that will make this Pats team if given the shot or catch the "Foxborough Flu" are Prince-Tyson Gulley of 'Cuse (tailback/scatback), Ben Malena of TAMU, and Henry Josey of Mizzou (will be a huge steal)

Nice list. I have not seen much of the first 2 you mentioned, but watched a healthy dose of Josey. His story is amazing. He has had multiple knee injuries, and the last one was really bad (think Marcus Lattimore without the broken bone) His speed has returned and he is like a jitterbug out there. Obviously the medical is a huge factor for him, and he is small, real small, but a real firecracker on the field when healthy.

That is a great breakdown. As a quick suggestion. If you could add the height, weight, and projected round to your breakdowns, that would make an already excellent list even better.

Look forward to your next positional breakdown. I'm especially interested, in seeing your take on the DTs.

Nice list. I have not seen much of the first 2 you mentioned, but watched a healthy dose of Josey. His story is amazing. He has had multiple knee injuries, and the last one was really bad (think Marcus Lattimore without the broken bone) His speed has returned and he is like a jitterbug out there. Obviously the medical is a huge factor for him, and he is small, real small, but a real firecracker on the field when healthy.
Want to see what he can do on the return game too, maybe rotate with Boyce and Edelman

Darrin Reaves of UAB is interesting. He's 5'10" and 210 lbs. He's a slashing runner that looks very smooth when running pass routes and whilst he's not always successful as a pass blocker he's very willing, always throwing himself in the way of whichever juggernaut is coming his way. Also has very good speed to the edge. Apparently the draft committee gave him a 4th round grade. A Vereen backup type.

I am completely sold on Hyde and Seastrunk. I would strongly consider either of them fairly high in the second round. Hyde is the safe pick, but I see Seastrunk as the closest thing to Marshawn Lynch.

#1. Jeremy Hill, LSU:
Positives: Size, speed, and athleticism. Moves like a running back 20 lbs. lighter. Great burst to hit the hole hard and great power to run over people. Good balance, decent vision finding the hole. Does not lose speed when making cut. Does not seem to dance behind the line of scrimmage. Average but improving hands as a pass catching option. Has the next gear to be a homerun hitter. To me, seems like a combo of Stephen Ridley and Legarette Blount.
Negatives: Off field issues almost got him kicked off the team. Immaturity could be an issue. On the field he does run a little high at times which can lead to bigger hits to the body. Needs to improve his pass blocking skills if he is going to play on 3rd down.

Leaving aside his character issues, I agree with your ranking of Hill at #1. My favourite back in this class.

Don't really want to use one of my top 4 picks on a rb. Don't have a 5th. Look up and see who's on the board when we're picking in the 6th. Someone will drop.

I think the Baylor kid in round 2 is really intriguing. He reminds me of Shady. We don't need necessarily need a rb, but if you can have a guy that can play all 3 downs and has the quickness to make you miss, then you might have to do it. Giovanni Bernard would have been a weapon for us last year.

I think the Baylor kid in round 2 is really intriguing. He reminds me of Shady. We don't need necessarily need a rb, but if you can have a guy that can play all 3 downs and has the quickness to make you miss, then you might have to do it. Giovanni Bernard would have been a weapon for us last year.

0-0-0-0-0

that's Seastrunk's receiving stats for this season. If I'm taking a 2nd round RB, I want more versatility than that demonstrates.

0-0-0-0-0

that's Seastrunk's receiving stats for this season. If I'm taking a 2nd round RB, I want more versatility than that demonstrates.

I wrote about that in my rankings. I am just shocked that an offense that is set up like Baylor's that he could not muster a single catch all season long. It is hard to know if he can or cannot do it based on what I saw. I agree, I need more out of my RB to pick him that high. That is why I like the 2 big fellas #1 and #2 because they have shown they can catch the ball.

0-0-0-0-0

That's Seastrunk's receiving stats for this season.

I'm pacing myself, Sir.

a80a4_ORIG-wingerhalka.jpg

Well, I finally finished up typing my notes on the RB's in this years draft and since the QB rankings had a pretty good response, I thought I would share my thoughts on the RBs. I hope you all enjoy and would love to get some feedback on what you think.

Running Back Rankings and Scouting Reports:​
#1. Jeremy Hill, LSU:
#2. Carlos Hyde, Ohio State:
Positives: A true beast running the ball. Big and powerful guy who is tough to bring down on first contact. Has good vision, leverage and balance, always falls forwards on runs. A true downhill runner that will get his yards by powering over people rather than running around guys.
Negatives: Speed and overall athleticism is limited. Not a homerun hitter in the NFL, but more of a 4 to 5 yards on every carry type of guy. Will not be flashy. Hands as a pass catcher improved this past year, but still have a ways to go to be a true threat. Not much of a pass blocker for a guy his size.
#3. Ka’Deem Carey, Arizona:
Positives: Very productive in both the running and passing game. Natural hands coming out of the backfield. Runs with good pad level. Has a good initial burst. Has great balance. Can run inside or out.
Negatives: More quick than fast. A lot of carries over the past 2 years. Straight line speed is not elite. Saw far too many runs into the back of his lineman giving me concerns about his vision. Off field issues are a concern.
4. Tre Mason, Auburn:
Positives: Quick feet, good balance. He hits the hole hard, is a one cut and go runner. Good vision, great patience waiting for the play to develop. Has experience as a kick returner.
Negatives: Size is not ideal for the NFL and durability could be an issue. While he is fast, he is does not have that extra gear you would expect from a smaller back. Hands are unknown because he was rarely used in the passing game.
5. Lache Seastrunk, Baylor:
Positives: Great speed and balance. Stays compact and low. Gifted athletically. Does not lose his speed when he makes his cuts. Has the 2nd gear to outrun defenders. Can run inside and out. Can stop and go on a dime, makes defenders miss.
Negatives: Dances in the backfield a little too much for my liking. Would rather see him take the yards that are there rather than try to make the spectacular play. Pass blocking will need to be worked on and surprisingly not used a lot in Baylor’s prolific passing attack.
6. Bishop Sankey, Washington:
Positives: Good burst and vision to find the hole and hit it quickly. Smaller runner but falls forward and makes a lot of defenders miss. Has the strength to break out of arm tackles. Decent pass protector. Good hands and catches the ball naturally making him a valuable asset on 3rd down. Team Captain.
Negatives: Size is a concern. He is a skinny guy. Has never missed a game, but durability at the next level could be a concern. Lots of carries over the past two seasons. May be more of a 3rd down/change of pace back as I don’t think he can carry the full load.
7. Devonta Freeman, FSU:
Positives: Powerful runner with great balance and low pad level, making him very hard to tackle. Shows good vision and patients to find the hole and hit it. Above average pass catcher and reliable blocker in the passing game.
Negatives: Lacks ideal height, although he is very strong so that does not concern me a ton. He does not have fantastic top end speed for a smaller back. Not all that elusive either. Would rather try to run over a tackler than around, even though he may be better suited trying the latter.
8. Marion Grice, Arizona State:
Positives: Good balance and vision. Good hands and is natural catching the ball. Falls forward on runs. Is a north south runner, does not dance. Good size. Reliable with ball and will bounce off arm tackles.
Negatives: Not a home run hitter, runs upright leaving him exposed to big hits. Does not have that 2nd gear. Takes time for him to get up to top speed. Medical concerns. Must work on pass protection.
9. Charles Sims, WVU:
Positives: Good balance, is decisive with his runs, does not dance. Good blocking skills in pass game, great option out of the backfield in the passing game.
Negatives: Not overly fast, tends to turn away from tacklers, leaving his back exposed to hits. Runs with the ball upright. Lacks initial explosion, takes a while to get up to top speed.
10. Terrance West, Townson:
Positives: Prototypical size for an NFL running back. Possesses good to great balance, patience, vision, and power. Takes multiple people to bring him down. Good jump cut and agility for a bigger back.
Negatives: Was a man among boys against lesser competition, will be interesting to see how he does with the jump up in talent. Will not wow you with his breakaway speed. Needs to work on his pass protection and need to find out more about him as far as a pass catcher. Tends to want to bounce a lot of runs outside, which worked against lesser competition, but might be a struggle in the NFL.

Just on the outside looking in:
Andre Williams, BC
Storm Johnson, UCF
James White, Wisconson
Antonio Andrews, WKU
D’anthony Thomas, Oregon

Great write up. I'm looking forward to reading more of them on the other positions.

I have a feeling that if we took a running back in the 2nd round, there would be a lot of unhappy Pat fans around here. Especially with our needs on the defensive side of the ball and the need for another tight end.

I have a feeling that if we took a running back in the 2nd round, there would be a lot of unhappy Pat fans around here. Especially with our needs on the defensive side of the ball and the need for another tight end.

Ayup. I actually mocked Shifty Shane Vereen to us in 2011, and was thrilled.

But now that we got'm, yeah: a 2nd Rounder on a Back would not go pretty with me.

...Nothing, mind you, like the cataclysmic Rage I experience when they called the name of Tavon ****ing WILSON at #48 with Hall of Fame SuperBinky LaVonte David still on the Board!! :mad: :eek:

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Back