PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

RB Rankings and Analysis: Thoughts?

Ayup. I actually mocked Shifty Shane Vereen to us in 2011, and was thrilled.

But now that we got'm, yeah: a 2nd Rounder on a Back would not go pretty with me.

...Nothing, mind you, like the cataclysmic Rage I experience when they called the name of Tavon ****ing WILSON at #48 with Hall of Fame SuperBinky LaVonte David still on the Board!! :mad: :eek:

I am still mad about passing on him as well as Bobby Wagner. I had 1st round grades on both.

Andre Williams in the 6th if we can't retain Blount

With moreno signing in Miami, MJD probably signing in Oakland and Blount visiting the Steelers, I think this thread has become more pertinent. Whether through the draft alone or the draft and UDFA, we could be looking at a double dip at RB unless Blount comes back.

I claim Marion Grice and Storm Johnson

I claim Marion Grice and Storm Johnson

Storm Johnson apparently suffers from fumble issues. I wonder whether Wilfork's restructure allows for Blount to come back. That'll help. Grice is a good call though.

Glad to see this thread getting some action again. My stance has not changed, I still have Jeremy Hill #1 on my board. Now, I think value wise he may go sooner than I would want if the Patriots do indeed go RB in the draft. Guys like Isiah Crowell and Terrance West are later round guys who could fill that bigger back role.
Another option would be to draft Trey Millard or Lorenzo Toliafero to play that H-back role. If Ridley can figure out his fumbling issues, he is a #1 back. Millard and Toliafero could play that bigger back role and have Vereen do his thing as that pass catching RB.
If we want another Vereen type, sign me up for Devonta Freeman.

Glad to see this thread getting some action again. My stance has not changed, I still have Jeremy Hill #1 on my board. Now, I think value wise he may go sooner than I would want if the Patriots do indeed go RB in the draft. Guys like Isiah Crowell and Terrance West are later round guys who could fill that bigger back role.
Another option would be to draft Trey Millard or Lorenzo Toliafero to play that H-back role. If Ridley can figure out his fumbling issues, he is a #1 back. Millard and Toliafero could play that bigger back role and have Vereen do his thing as that pass catching RB.
If we want another Vereen type, sign me up for Devonta Freeman.

Lache Seastrunk's explosiveness and Charles Sims' versatility have won me over. Either of them in the third and a Marion Grice/Taliaferro later would be where I'd be looking. Stephen Houston with his 4.4 speed, 40" vert and 11' broad is intriguing too.

I'm actually disappointed in losing Blount. Have to think the reason they didn't make that much effort in re-signing him is that they want a legitimate 3 down back. I'm still backing Seastrunk and Sims for that role for now.

Risley, Vereen and Bolden all had sub 7.00 3-cones so look for that for any potential draftee. Also being over 205lbs seems about right too.

A lot of the top RBs didn't run the 3-cone at the combine but the following pass the sub 7.00, above 205 yardstick.

Bishop Sankey
Tyler Gaffney
Jerick McKinnon
Lorenzo Taliaferro
David Fluellen
James Wilder
Tre Mason (had a 6.7 at his pro day).
Lache Seastrunk (6.81 at pro day)

With all of the RBs running out of Contract NeXT year, could this be a time to move in another direction? Mayby Patriots wanna go RB/FB/HB and by then getting James Wilder Jr, Gator Hoskins and Trey Millard.

They might be able to get all of them for basicly nothing.

I don't think we look at RB until round 4 at the earliest.
If we're going round 4, I'd consider Seastrunk, he reminds me a lot of Vereen.
If we're waiting until round 6 or 7 I'd be interested in Dri Archer as kind of a multipurpose kick returner/edge threatner.

I had a lot of fun watching Tre Mason last night. I'll just get the negatives out of the way. Firstly he's a horrible blocker and secondly, I worry about his hands but...he has such terrific balance and a low center of gravity that almost every play seems to be a positive one and he often makes much more yardage than he's really entitled too because that low center of gravity allows him to stay on his feet when most backs would have gone down. He also looks to be someone who can be a load carrier, carrying the ball for 20 or 30 carries a game. Despite the negatives, I was impressed enough to be happy to take him in the 2nd.

I don't think we look at RB until round 4 at the earliest.
If we're going round 4, I'd consider Seastrunk, he reminds me a lot of Vereen.
If we're waiting until round 6 or 7 I'd be interested in Dri Archer as kind of a multipurpose kick returner/edge threatner.

I really like Seastrunk's explosivity and I'd be fine with him in the third. I worry a little that he's a bit of a backfield dancer and he sometimes looks to take some funny angles but his explosivity means that given some space, he'll make some big gains.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Back