PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Reactions to “The Dynasty”

Ernie Adams on Spygate:

Bill knows. I really hope he retires soon and gets going on his book. I can’t wait to read it.

I think most people heard that and thought he meant going to grave with what Bill did but I think he means in general he could tell stories about what teams did and the things they would guard against as much as the things they did to push the limits.

I think most people heard that and thought he meant going to grave with what Bill did but I think he means in general he could tell stories about what teams did and the things they would guard against as much as the things they did to push the limits.
I read stories in the past from players and coaches who described how prevalent this stuff is. Even though there's no evidence of the Walsh story, that kind of spying fits in with what many many coaches have reported in the past from many teams. There are articles on it. One of the things people have done is to use pressure to secure the names of people who have booked rooms overlooking practice fields. Some teams have been caught in this way. There was an article about someone with binoculars watching the Patriots walkthrough from a hotel overlooking the field. When the NFL noticed him, the person scampered. I still have that article pinned from 22 years ago.

The most natural defense for the Patriots is that the Jets spied on them in '06 and the NFL didnt care.

I read stories in the past from players and coaches who described how prevalent this stuff is. Even though there's no evidence of the Walsh story, that kind of spying fits in with what many many coaches have reported in the past from many teams. There are articles on it. One of the things people have done is to use pressure to secure the names of people who have booked rooms overlooking practice fields. Some teams have been caught in this way. There was an article about someone with binoculars watching the Patriots walkthrough from a hotel overlooking the field. When the NFL noticed him, the person scampered. I still have that article pinned from 22 years ago.

The most natural defense for the Patriots is that the Jets spied on them in '06 and the NFL didnt care.
Probably a stupid question but I bet if the Pats didn't win 3 of 4 Super Bowls spygate wouldn't have probably happened.

They put up a fence to block that view. But that must have been Bill spying on himself lol.

I think there's something to interviewing a subject and where they are emotionally at that moment. Look at NFL 100, and Bill and Tom were in that moment, and it showed. When Bill was interviewed for the Do You Jobs, they were filmed fairly close to the Super Bowls, and they were all clearly basking in it still. Then there's the layer of trust that Bill has for NFL Films, and you end up with him being very open, because he knows if he says something he regrets, they'll take it out. With this project, he clearly is guarded, he knows the team is not good, and my guess is he's withdrawing even more, trusting fewer and fewer people. The product on the field certainly shows that.

Kraft, same way. At the very least, with Bill's age, he knows the end is very near, even if he's fielding a great team. Bill's not fielding a great team, so Kraft is no doubt looking at it very skeptically. There's gotta be a big tinge of regret too. He didn't meddle in the team, and he has gotta be wishing he kept Tom instead. Not that they would have won more, but maybe he could have done something different as far back as 2018. Who knows?
Seeing Bob and Jonathan now makes me glad that they stayed out of things with Bill. It also makes me leery of what's going to happen in the future to Mayo.

I can live with mistakes in judgment, I was forced to in 2020, but the way the Krafts are trying to throw dirt on the greatest coach they ever had is, well, it's sickening. Bill, along with Tom and the fans, made the owners of this team winners on the field and off, not the color of the ink on the checks.

No way does Bill Belichick deserve this kind of treatment. From the start of the breakup I was hoping that it would end amicably and by all appearances it had. But I'm feeling more like it was all staged by Kraft.

I really dont think so. Some fans may see it this way but the krafts will get what they wanted. The media on their side.
I'm not sure that placing blame for the few things that wrong for the greatest dynasty in NYFL history, on a man the media disliked, a man who coached that team, is the proper way to do that. I would have preferred a clean split and not a rehash of the spying bs that we're seeing instead.

It was always a farse
Unlike many football fans, I always thought so, but seeing Ernie Adams' response about it will probably only prop up the bs outside NE. He's "going to his grave" with what exactly?

He could have said that when asked instead of adding to the controversy.

To me the SB walkthrough tape if it had existed would have been very hard to defend. I'm glad that was BS.

It's interesting though that nobody credible has ever outright accused the Patriots of spying/cheating. Lots of employees and players have come and gone over the years many leaving on not the best terms and yet not one person has spilled the beans on the Patriots if there were any beans to spill. You'd think if it was happening someone would have said it by now... that they either knew about it or saw it happen themselves....

ZOMG they said deflate I found the deflator! Someone call Ted Wells!11!!!11111!

ZOMG they said deflate I found the deflator! Someone call Ted Wells!11!!!11111!
This was a comedy made for Curb Your Enthusiasm. I could easily write that script. It would be about the ball guys trying to lose weight and at the end they're prosecuted for emails saying they're the infamous deflators.

Last edited:
Seeing Bob and Jonathan now makes me glad that they stayed out of things with Bill. It also makes me leery of what's going to happen in the future to Mayo.

I can live with mistakes in judgment, I was forced to in 2020, but the way the Krafts are trying to throw dirt on the greatest coach they ever had is, well, it's sickening. Bill, along with Tom and the fans, made the owners of this team winners on the field and off, not the color of the ink on the checks.

No way does Bill Belichick deserve this kind of treatment. From the start of the breakup I was hoping that it would end amicably and by all appearances it had. But I'm feeling more like it was all staged by Kraft.
It's interesting to see your take on this, as we've had some real disagreements on Bill, while I am certainly more on the "blame Bill" side than I used to be. Nothing really of note per se, just noteworthy that we appear to have changed sides.

I think a lot of what we are seeing is a reaction to the end of autocracy or dictatorship. I think to a certain extent, even Kraft felt obligated to get in line with Bill's ways, and now everyone down on Rte 1 in Foxboro is a little more freed up to breathe. I don't think that we are seeing is a result of them turning their back on Bill or them "blaming' him. I think it's a long exhale. That type of pressure is over.

Bill's ways were great while they were winning. But his methods changed and he changed as a result of all that happened. The winning narcotic no doubt changed him. Mangini's betrayal and spygate changed Bill and made him withdraw and retract from those around him. Then the drafting of Hernandez and the resultant **** show that turned into no doubt changed him. Look at the drafts after the June 2013 events. Bill never took that type of athlete again. The scoring eval system that Bill had must have changed as a result. In 2017 he said "At this point in my career, I want to coach guys I like. I want to coach guys I want to be around and that’s it.’ He said, ‘I’m not going to coach anybody else.'” and that has to be reflective in part of the AH mess. Finally, Tom's leaving likely changed him too, as he probably thought that Tom would be here forever. Like a lot of marriages, perhaps he took him for granted and figured that the next guy would be able to approach maybe even 80% of what Tom did. When it didn't work with Mac, we are already hearing how Mac and Bill did not speak for the remainder of the season. That's gotta be miserable for everyone around the team, Bill included.

My whole point is that Bill of 2023 was not Bill of 2011, 2007 or even 2000 when he got here. I think what we are seeing is a relief that the last 4-5 years of Bill's oppression is over. It's certainly going to be a much looser, fun place to be in 2024. If they get the right personnel, it expect a honeymoon period where they are very successful.

Last edited:
He could have said that when asked instead of adding to the controversy.
To talk about it at all is to perpetuate the story. You can't win.

Because the media owes its $$ to the NFL and to be frozen out of that powerful closed circle is to lose your livelihood.

This is why the 2006 story about the Jets filming from the Patriots sidelines and the NFL allowing it is NEVER mentioned by the reporters. ESPN did the story on it. But it doesn't matter what evidence you have contradicting them, it will get buried. So the only thing to do for Adams and Belichick is to not bring it up.

Same thing with Deflategate. It doesn't matter that a judge released the records showing the NFL was lying in many different ways, what matters is that the NFLPA agreed to allow the NFL to be the final arbitrator of any decision.

I was away so I binged watched the 4 episodes. Overall pretty good. I did hate that they did so much on 01 and 07 and pretty much covered everything in between as a footnote. WTF, it was only 2 championships. They spent more time on the losses to the Colts and Broncos than those two entire seasons.

Second watching the perfect season get flushed away is just never going to be easy for me. I was surprised they didn't go over the Samuel drop that would have sealed it. I also think that game really turned when Stephen Neal got hurt. Never a mention. That changed the balance of power between the lines. Although weeks earlier if Colvin hadn't gotten hurt and they could have left Adalius Thomas in position that also would have changed the dynamic and not let the Giants control the clock so much. Finally not a mention on all those OL holds on the helment catch. There had to be a half dozen flags on that play. If I go to hell it will be me tie wrapped to a chair for eternity just watching that game on a loop.

It's interesting to see your take on this, as we've had some real disagreements on Bill, while I am certainly more on the "blame Bill" side than I used to be. Nothing really of note per se, just noteworthy that we appear to have changed sides.

I think a lot of what we are seeing is a reaction to the end of autocracy or dictatorship. I think to a certain extent, even Kraft felt obligated to get in line with Bill's ways, and now everyone down on Rte 1 in Foxboro is a little more freed up to breathe. I don't think that we are seeing is a result of them turning their back on Bill on them "blaming' him. I think it's a long exhale. That type of pressure is over.

Bill's ways were great while they were winning. But his methods changed and he changed as a result of all that happened. The winning narcotic no doubt changed him. Mangini's betrayal and spygate changed Bill and made him withdraw and retract from those around him. Then the drafting of Hernandez and the resultant **** show that turned into no doubt changed him. Look at the drafts after the June 2013 events. Bill never took that type of athlete again. The scoring eval system that Bill had must have changed as a result. In 2017 he said "At this point in my career, I want to coach guys I like. I want to coach guys I want to be around and that’s it.’ He said, ‘I’m not going to coach anybody else.'” and that has to be reflective in part of the AH mess. Finally, Tom's leaving likely changed him too, as he probably thought that Tom would be here forever. Like a lot of marriages, perhaps he took him for granted and figured that the next guy would be able to approach maybe even 80% of what Tom did. When it didn't work with Mac, we are already hearing how Mac and Bill did not speak for the remainder of the season. That's gotta be miserable for everyone around the team, Bill included.

My whole point is that Bill of 2023 was not Bill of 2011, 2007 or even 2000 when he got here. I think what we are seeing is a relief that the last 4-5 years of Bill's oppression is over. It's certainly going to be a much looser, fun place to be in 2024. If they get the right personnel, it expect a honeymoon period where they are very successful.

Interesting outline of how things like Managing and Hernandez could've affected Bill's trust and openess. I hadn't thought about it that way. I could see those things causing recoil. Plus, the constant other level of standard the NFL held his team on. I know I'm a homer, but seriously, show me a team that had Spygate/Deflategate happen to them AND received as heavy penalties.

A ****ing bounty scheme in New Orleans brought steep suspensions, yet only a forfeit of 2nd round picks. And they still made the playoffs. Yet the Patriots get lambasted for *checks notes* deflated footballs and a tactic every team in the WORLD does lmao.

Wow those 2 episodes were intense still some suspect editorial decisions but I think that was everything you'd expect and remember from the murder story but still shocking to see again and to hear from Branch, Welker, and Lloyd was very suspenseful. Not sure if that's the right word maybe just yikes.

Too much Cassel but the Brady Rehab and Hernandez stuff is gripping.

Pretty sure they took a bountygate quote out of context. Not sure that was needed when the rest is real and terrifying.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Back