PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Reactions to “The Dynasty”

Bill wouldn't have gotten fired this year if the team didn't fall apart. Kraft maybe wanted to move on to Mayo, but you can't sell that to the fanbase without the results of the past year. People were still holding out hope in the last 4 games.
i've never really understood why a fanbase should have that big of a sway over decision making if that's the case. i thought fans cared about winning most of all. and there are already a ****load of fans who wanted him gone instead of tb anyway (and are happier than ever to be pats fans since he got fired). if kraft felt after 2022 that winning weren't going to happen,then he needed to fire him after 22 not this year. as far as team results,the two years weren't that significantly different imo. the cynic in me thinks maybe he wanted to force bill to be part of the doc so he kept him an extra year.

'Dynasty' Director Explains Why Patriots' Early Super Bowls Glossed Over

Sounds like the director's reasoning behind the SB 38/39 glossing over was basically that it had already been covered extensively over many other documentaries. (i.e. man in the arena) So there was no need to rehash those storylines.

While I get what he's saying there, you can't call yourself a true documentary by leaving these things out. You should just emphasize that this documentary is all about Brady/BB/aurora of the Patriots dynamic, and that's it. Clearly not about the entire dynasty itself.

Sounds like the director's reasoning behind the SB 38/39 glossing over was basically that it had already been covered extensively over many other documentaries. (i.e. man in the arena) So there was no need to rehash those storylines.

While I get what he's saying there, you can't call yourself a true documentary by leaving these things out. You should just emphasize that this documentary is all about Brady/BB/aurora of the Patriots dynamic, and that's it. Clearly not about the entire dynasty itself.
Completely agree! That choice made it seem clear that the documentary was focused on the negative related to the Pats dynasty while the success is glossed over.

I think it’s an interesting watch but I can’t help but feel Patriots fans aren’t the target demographic of the series.

The Hernandez episode was especially frustrating. They started by mentioning a great draft class that revitalized the franchise then ignored everyone who wasn’t Hernandez. Also at the end of the episode they introduce the idea that Aaron Hernandez asked for a trade to a west coast team and if Bill granted it nothing bad would have happened. The idea that Hernandez only killed because he fell in with the wrong crowd is laughable. Dude was an insane murderer, only thing that would have changed with a trade was the location of the victim.

Yeah, I think it could have really used a better name to explain what it was really about.

"The Last Dance" was way better as they explain how the team was built. "The Dynasty" just starts off with Bledsoe getting injured and they're off to 6 Super Bowl wins. It does seem like want to focus on more problems than not. A casual fan that didn't follow the Pats then would get the impression that they were a dysfunctional franchise the entire time.

It should've been broken up into seasons and have it start during the Parcells and Carroll years which are more important than people realize.

I'm late to the thread here, and it may have been asked and answered somewhere in the 24 pages, but is there a decent way to watch this series without an Apple TV subscription?

Apple offers a 7 day free trial and then $9.99 per month.

Spending five minutes on the 2003 and 2004 teams was ridiculous. I suppose we are going to get 2-3 episodes each on Spygate and Deflategate? FFS.

Overheard quote of Dynasty Episode 7: "At the end of the 2014 Super Bowl, all the knowledgeable Patriot coaches were yelling at Belichick to follow the analytics & take a timeout. But Belichick, stuck in the old ways and holding a grudge against analytics, was slow to process what was going on. It was one of the worst coaching decisions in Super Bowl history. But then Pete Carroll saved Belichick from infamy with the decision to throw the ball on second down!"
This is easy to debunk since "Do Your Job" showed that he forced them to run a play before they were ready. Calling a timeout would have helped the Hawks.

This is easy to debunk since "Do Your Job" showed that he forced them to run a play before they were ready. Calling a timeout would have helped the Hawks.
I think he was being funny.

Completely agree! That choice made it seem clear that the documentary was focused on the negative related to the Pats dynasty while the success is glossed over.

I think it’s an interesting watch but I can’t help but feel Patriots fans aren’t the target demographic of the series.

The Hernandez episode was especially frustrating. They started by mentioning a great draft class that revitalized the franchise then ignored everyone who wasn’t Hernandez. Also at the end of the episode they introduce the idea that Aaron Hernandez asked for a trade to a west coast team and if Bill granted it nothing bad would have happened. The idea that Hernandez only killed because he fell in with the wrong crowd is laughable. Dude was an insane murderer, only thing that would have changed with a trade was the location of the victim.
we're ultimately not going to get a complete, "good doc" on the Patriots dynasty for another decade. Just like how there wasn't a great doc for the Jordan Bulls until a few years ago.

Too many embers are hot still, everything is far too unorganized in people's minds with bias. The "Man in the arena" doc a few years back was a little too pandering, this doc is too much of a hit piece. A happy medium needs to be met for a documentary.

Hey, what you do when you watch America's Game is your business.

I was expecting to hear and see what made the dynasty a dynasty. Instead I got story telling from outsiders with an agenda, trying to pick at any scab or create a new one. They also mismatch the timelines to draw incorrect conclusions and create a revisionist history. IOW, it's just another Hollyweird production. Enjoy.
there's no arguing dynasty is a Hollywood production that focuses on scandal. I have no idea why anyone would expect something else.

I never got the cult of personality around Bledsoe from later in his career. How much of fading big arm/small brain guy do you need to see AFTER getting a ring with Brady?

Back in the Bledsoe vs Brady days I recall a quote attributed to BB about Drew Bledsoe. It went like this, Drew has done everything we’ve asked of him“ the obvious inference being that Brady does that, and so much more, above and beyond what is required of him.

the best buy trial works - that's how I'm watching
Thank you for letting me know it works. My wife wants to get it but I’ve been holding back. Three months free will make it a lot easier to give it a try.

Last edited:
My friend who hates the Patriots likes the doc.

Definitely made for an audience that isn't comprised of homer fans.

Both the director and producer have been saying that since the very beginning.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
Back