PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

realistic FA class for pats

Status
Not open for further replies.
One guy nobody mentions who could actually contribute meaningful snaps on 3rd down is Antawn Barnes on San Diego. He had 4.5 sacks this year and 2 vs New England. He looked so quick and fast coming off the edge vs us. Hes only 26 years old and hes 6-1 251. He shouldn't cost much and SD wont pay him alot with Phillips and English making big money at OLB. This guy is also a great special teamer. Hes the one FA OLB that intrigues me. I like Kiwanuka as well but he seems like a huge risk with a herniated disk in his neck. If he came in for a one year deal Id be fine with that at small money but I bet he stays in NY or goes to STL.

Roth = JAG
Wimbley = scheme fit, we could have signed him last year and didn't
Woodley = Franchise Tag

Wimbley is alright. Why no interest in him? He'd be a really good signing IMO.

Last edited:
What do you guys think of Brandon Jacobs? He's a UFA and the Giants appear to be going with Ahmad Bradshaw.

Jacobs is not an UFA he's signed through 2012. Bradshaw is the UFA this year and I think they will let him go because of the fumble issues.

One guy nobody mentions who could actually contribute meaningful snaps on 3rd down is Antawn Barnes on San Diego. He had 4.5 sacks this year and 2 vs New England. He looked so quick and fast coming off the edge vs us. Hes only 26 years old and hes 6-1 251. He shouldn't cost much and SD wont pay him alot with Phillips and English making big money at OLB. This guy is also a great special teamer. Hes the one FA OLB that intrigues me. I like Kiwanuka as well but he seems like a huge risk with a herniated disk in his neck. If he came in for a one year deal Id be fine with that at small money but I bet he stays in NY or goes to STL.

Roth = JAG
Wimbley = scheme fit, we could have signed him last year and didn't
Woodley = Franchise Tag

he's worth a look and he's young but IMO if the pats are only looking for a 3rd down player then they will bring back Eric Moore, who had 2 sacks in only 4 games

And while wanting WR's like that make perfect sense, the bottom line is that BB prefers smaller quick twitch guys that can create their own separation.

Down field BB wants to attack seams with TE's rather than WRs.

I think BB would prefer to have the ability to attack seems with either.

Here's what I'm thinking about the big-ticket free agents:

Larry Fitzgerald might have the best skill-set of any WR in the league. He's a humble kid, been around football all of his life -- loves the game. We all know by now that he was a ball-boy for the Vikings as a kid, and his dad is a very successful football coach in Minnesota.

We also know that he is on the last year of a whopping contract. One that the Cardinals instantly regretted (didn't think things through) and one that led to guys like Boldin and Dansby not being seriously attempted to be retained. He's made a lot of money playing football, having played on two big-dollar contracts.

We also know, from his own mouth, that he's frustrated with losing, and wants to play for a winner. We can infer that he's frustrated with a quarterback situation that might be better off forming a jazz-fusion trio to play Sunday buffets at Mimi's Cafe. They can call themselves the Max Hall Experience. He is almost certainly not going to re-sign with the Cardinals. Would the Cardinals franchise him, giving him a 20% raise on his salary (pending new CBA)? Doubtful, as they need to free up serious dollars to improve. The smart play by the Cardinals is to trade him before the 2011 season on his final contract year than let him walk away for nothing more than a comp pick.

I can easily see a mutual interest between Fitzgerald and Belichick. He's got the intangibles and character issues that BB finds important, and he should respect Belichick's coaching ability and style. Plus he still talks to Randy Moss, who could probably give him a good endorsement, and with a name like Fitzgerald, he'll fit right in with the Boston Irish community. I could see him coming here, tearing up his contract, and signing a 4-year deal for good, but not top-tier WR money. BB hates projecting NCAA WRs, here's a proven winner. It's an ideal fit of player and organization, the only question would be trade compensation.

Shifting gears, Woodley probably won't be franchised. The Steelers are the premiere organization for letting LBs walk and get cheaper, ready-to-go guys out of the draft. Now, I can easily see Woodley agreeing to a long-term, fair-money deal after the new CBA is hatched, but I can also see the Steelers letting him seek big dollars elsewhere and drafting an LB in the first few rounds and/or giving a reserve on their team a chance to step up to the A-Team.

Another LB I thought was a UFA was Chad Greenway, but since nobody's said anything about him yet, I could be mistaken.

The problem the Steelers have is the entire team is very old. A large number played in the 2005 AFCCG.

Woodley and Timmons are their only players with youth.

Haven't seen Ray Edwards mentioned.

He just turned 26, he's 6'5" 268, he's pretty athletic and drops into coverage some already so he's a very good conversion project to move from DE to OLB, he's had 8.5 sackes each of the past two years. At worst he's a better Eric Moore/TBC/Bugress, at best he turns into a good OLB.

He's be my number one target.

Based on his history, BB seems to prefer addressing OLB in free agency rather than through the draft. And several reasonable possibilities have been mentioned. However, if no CBA is signed before the draft, the uncertainty of there being NO free agency this year might compel him to seek out a couple potential DE conversions on draft day instead, just to have something in the bank.

I'm still compiling my lists of FA candidates, but I'm not counting on any of them to round out the team and I'm evaluating the draft as if there won't be any CBA/FA before then.

I want Jason Snelling...he'd be a beast in this offense.

Snelling was one of the guys I wanted drafted when he came out, I love his game. However, after showing his value this year, I don't see any way the Falcons let him go.

While I was doing the draft game, though, I noticed that Jason Wright is a free agent this year. He's not nearly as dynamic (or young...or expensive) as Snelling, but he's been productive in limited action for Cleveland and Arizona, and is a good ST player. I can see him coming here to take over the Sammy Morris role as vet RB who can play teams and contribute to the offense in spots or in a pinch due to short-term injury.

Haven't seen Ray Edwards mentioned.

He just turned 26, he's 6'5" 268, he's pretty athletic and drops into coverage some already so he's a very good conversion project to move from DE to OLB, he's had 8.5 sackes each of the past two years. At worst he's a better Eric Moore/TBC/Bugress, at best he turns into a good OLB.

He's be my number one target.
I'm with you, the only disclaimer being he's going to want good money so we'd need to be more sure than your worst case scenario. He would need to be no worse than good, which I think would be the case.

I don't see Bill putting a significant amount of money into a RB or OG (unless it's the known commodity in Mankins), I think he's happy drafting guys for those spots, a veteran LB who can step in and make a difference, that's another story. Honestly I haven't watched how Edwards was used enough to state a pro or con case but he is the type of guy I'd look for as our one "big" free agent target and then I'd expect a lot of nibbles.

If they don't get a chance to sign an elite front 7 player Hali/Ngata, the have to at least sign either Wimbley or Edwards. I would also try to sign an explosive franchise RB (DeAngelo Williams).

If they don't get a chance to sign an elite front 7 player Hali/Ngata, the have to at least sign either Wimbley or Edwards. I would also try to sign an explosive franchise RB (DeAngelo Williams).

I just can't see BB messing up his locker room with elite priced free agents.

I think BB sticks with the mid tier free agent types and continues to build a strong middle class.

Last edited:
I just can't see BB messing up his locker room with elite priced free agents.

I think BB sticks with the mid tier free agent types and continues to build a strong middle class.
Maybe you're right, but didn't BB offer a 10 mil per year deal to Peppers last offseason?

Maybe you're right, but didn't BB offer a 10 mil per year deal to Peppers last offseason?

If i remember correctly there was a report out that said BB was trying more to jack up the bidding $ wars then to actually bring peppers in.

What kinda price could they get Kiwanuka at? As much as the Giants would want him back, they wouldn't be offering him a bunch of money when they already have Tuck, Osi and JPP. He has some experience playing OLB (granted it was in a 4-3) and was on pace for a huge year before his neck injury. If his injury prevents him from getting a big payday, is it worth the gamble on a 2-3 year deal? This is a big if as I'm sure there will be a desperate team who will pay Kiwanuka based on potential, but if not he's an interesting name.

This might be overselling a guy who's missed 13 games to injury over the past two seasons, though I'm sure he's going to want to be paid like "an explosive franchise RB."

I'd love to bring Champ Bailey in. The biggest hole on this team consistently was 3rd down defense, and it killed them in the Jets game. Lining up Bailey, McCourty and Bodden at corner would sure reduce those converted 3rd and 9's.

I'd love to bring Champ Bailey in. The biggest hole on this team consistently was 3rd down defense, and it killed them in the Jets game. Lining up Bailey, McCourty and Bodden at corner would sure reduce those converted 3rd and 9's.

Then what you get is Bodden demanding a trade because he's tired of being only the 3rd CB.

You could lineup Bailey, Darrell Green and Deion Sanders at corner with Ed Reed and Ronnie Lott at safety with this front 7 and the lack of a pass rush would still lead to tons of converted 3rd and longs for the other team.

Status
Not open for further replies.

2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots WR Javon Baker Conference Call
TRANSCRIPT: Layden Robinson Conference Call
MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
Back