PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Reiss: Jack Jones and Jake Bailey moved to "Reserve/Suspended"

Why are you defending the player?

His job is to attend rehab. He is PAID for it.

Should you still get paid if you don't go to work?
I always defend the players. We don't know exactly what happened. We do know that several players have had disputes with the team's medical/training staffs to the point they want to seek 2nd opinions. I don't trust the organization that cares more about money >>> players health.

Every season has had a player issue here and there. This is nothing new.

BB has a long history of rolling the dice on players with a bit of a sketchy past (Easley, JC Jackson, AH, Cunningham, etc).

Sometimes they work out. Sometimes they don't.

Jack Jones seems to have outstanding physical ability and was able to turn that into a pretty good rookie year.

Let's hope a little discipline, teaching him accountability and making it clear there are consequences for his actions reset his attitude before it's too late.
This season has had a little more unrest amongst the players than usual. Wynn seemed to be a malcontent from the start and basically just has been MIA for the last month and a half. Trent Brown is liking posts on social media about other quarterbacks coming back. Mac Jones is telling coaches to f*ck off on national television. Kendrick Bourne has been in the doghouse for most of the year and has openly questioned the scheme on offense. Now we have whatever is going on with Jones and an overpaid punter. This locker room looks like it has an issue and is desperately going to need younger leaders to emerge with McCourty and Slater likely retiring.

100% towards the player? What if it’s true? That’s a pretty baseless statement by you with zero facts to back it up.
There's precedent. What if it's not the total truth? Two sides to every story.

Not a fan of these character assassinations that seem to always happen and are 100% one sided towards the players.

It isn't character assassinations if they say why he was suspended and it is true. You are the first one to ***** when they don't say why they do something, then when they say why you ***** they are out to get the players.

This season has had a little more unrest amongst the players than usual. Wynn seemed to be a malcontent from the start and basically just has been MIA for the last month and a half. Trent Brown is liking posts on social media about other quarterbacks coming back. Mac Jones is telling coaches to f*ck off on national television. Kendrick Bourne has been in the doghouse for most of the year and has openly questioned the scheme on offense. Now we have whatever is going on with Jones and an overpaid punter. This locker room looks like it has an issue and is desperately going to need younger leaders to emerge with McCourty and Slater likely retiring.
Exactly. This team lacks leadership so Bill can't seem to control the players. There's a reason he brought back the skeletons of great players like High, Chung, Collins, McCourty & Slater in 2020/21. We're down to McCourty & Slater and they're not it. There's nobody on offense. It looks doubtful Judon will be the guy since he seems to be more of an individualist. Several key players are questioning the coaches in public, a big no no with Bill. Bill can't get these guys to stop making dumb mistakes, beating themselves in the process. It's time for a top to bottom change.

A lack of cohesiveness and leadership were major issues this year. With the exception of JJ and Bailey the situations for all of the players mentioned are based on not having confidence and trust in the coaches. It all starts with being able to communicate and build the connection to earn the players respect to allow the locker room leaders to do their job. Wynn and Brown were able to be selfish without pissing off the rest of the team because the player leaders on offense were mad at the coaches and were not in a position to call them out.

Last edited:
It isn't character assassinations if they say why he was suspended and it is true. You are the first one to ***** when they don't say why they do something, then when they say why you ***** they are out to get the players.
It says in part, per sources. How do you know that's the whole truth and not a leak to get ahead of the story? It obviously worked since everyone has bought in hook, line & sinker and are dumping on Jack.

Not a fan of these character assassinations that seem to always happen and are 100% one sided towards the players.

I read somewhere (PFT I think), that JJones' agent tweeted that it's all a "miscommunication" and Jones can't wait to get healthy and get back to helping the Pats get back to their winning ways, or some BS like that.

THIS makes me feel a LOT better about the situation. Clearly this is a "teaching moment" for Jones. Let's make it clear that he WAS wrong in this. Rehab is a serious business and it's part of his JOB to be there on time. Too damned bad about him being pissed for getting fined and having a toddler-like tantrum which ended up with him emptying his locker.

His agent is saying all the right things and HOPEFULLY Jones knows he's in the wrong and comes back next season, or in the playoffs and becomes the #2 CB we all hope he can become. On the field, IMHO, he's been the best of a good rookie class from this draft. But we need him to develop into a MAN with talent and not a child.

In the end this was just some unwanted drama that bears watching this off season and going into next season. BUT his agent's comments DO make me feel a little better about the situation.

The Bailey situation is another story. The Pats really need to improve their punting situation and Bailey, according to THEIR medical staff, is ready to go tomorrow. Bailey feels differently.. He's been a good and sometimes great punter while he was here and even a better holder (which some people forget). BUT his cap is high for a punter and his production has slipped. I also thought he has been slower in getting the ball off at the end. I'm good with saving the million in cap space and finding another guy. Meanwhile Bailey will earn $2+MM next year above what another team pays him to be on the field for about 10 plays a game

The Bailey situation is another story. The Pats really need to improve their punting situation and Bailey, according to THEIR medical staff, is ready to go tomorrow. Bailey feels differently.. He's been a good and sometimes great punter while he was here and even a better holder (which some people forget). BUT his cap is high for a punter and his production has slipped. I also thought he has been slower in getting the ball off at the end. I'm good with saving the million in cap space and finding another guy. Meanwhile Bailey will earn $2+MM next year above what another team pays him to be on the field for about 10 plays a game

My gut feeling is that Bailey got paid and slipped. He's not the guy he was on his rookie contract from a performance standpoint and now is at a point where (if you take what the team's stance seems to be at face value) he is healthy enough to play but would rather stay on IR for the rest of the year. To the team, that is most likely not an acceptable attitude for someone that they made the highest-paid punter just recently and whose performance dipped almost immediately afterward. They can get out from under his deal and move on to someone else (presumably, a drafted rookie) who probably won't be Bailey at his prime but will be better than Bailey right now and will save them $10M over the next several seasons.

Exactly. This team lacks leadership so Bill can't seem to control the players. There's a reason he brought back the skeletons of great players like High, Chung, Collins, McCourty & Slater in 2020/21. We're down to McCourty & Slater and they're not it. There's nobody on offense. It looks doubtful Judon will be the guy since he seems to be more of an individualist. Several key players are questioning the coaches in public, a big no no with Bill. Bill can't get these guys to stop making dumb mistakes, beating themselves in the process. It's time for a top to bottom change.
Certainly running thin on championship guys as the years pass but David Andrews wants to know why you haven't noticed him being a warrior this year. Jonathan Jones is one of our best DBs.

Collins is on the PS too and recently his leadership was brought up. Cannon too. So he did try to sprinkle some of these guys in.

I really hope we Bring Jonathon back for this reason but can't hang on forever the new guys need to step up and assume these leadership roles.

Not a championship guy but I'd bring Meyers back too because there aren't that many guys in their primes on this team ready for it. Hopefully several young guys still on contract one are in line too.

Certainly running thin on championship guys as the years pass but David Andrews wants to know why you haven't noticed him being a warrior this year. Jonathan Jones is one of our best DBs.
I didn't forget about Andrews or even Brown who was also a SB guy, but didn't feel the need to mention them given the OL is probably the worse unit on the team. So these guys couldn't even get their own guys to focus.
Collins is on the PS too and recently his leadership was brought up. Cannon too. So he did try to sprinkle some of these guys in.
Both of those guys are washed up and hardly leading on the field where it matters.
I really hope we Bring Jonathon back for this reason but can't hang on forever the new guys need to step up and assume these leadership roles.
Agree. I'm not sure he stays but praying he does since our 2023 CB group looks very thin.
Not a championship guy but I'd bring Meyers back too because there aren't that many guys in their primes on this team ready for it. Hopefully several young guys still on contract one are in line too.
Meyers is a no brainer which leads me to believe they let him walk based on precedent.

I don't see the locker room issues are as severe as you describe. Players get grumpy from time to time during games and after tough losses.

I would agree there are a few players here are not a fit for this place moving forward just as there are coaches who are currently here who must not return in their current capacity.

Last edited:
I don't see the locker room issues are as severe as you describe. Players get grumpy from time to time during games and after tough losses.

I would agree there are a few players here are not a fit for this place moving forward just as their aren't coaches who are currently here who must not return in their current capacity.
I don't think there is a major issue but there are definitely problems. A lot of it stems from Mac. I don't believe he ever gave Patricia a chance from the start and while Patricia has been a terrible OC when the most important guy in the locker room isn't buying in that sets the tone for a lot of the other guys.

I always defend the players. We don't know exactly what happened. We do know that several players have had disputes with the team's medical/training staffs to the point they want to seek 2nd opinions. I don't trust the organization that cares more about money >>> players health.
C'mon.

If Jones was suspended over conflicting medical advice the NFLPA would be all over this. That hasn't happened and won't happen.

He was blowing off his rehab assignments. Case closed.

I don't think there is a major issue but there are definitely problems. A lot of it stems from Mac. I don't believe he ever gave Patricia a chance from the start and while Patricia has been a terrible OC when the most important guy in the locker room isn't buying in that sets the tone for a lot of the other guys.
What evidence do you have of Mac never giving Fat Matt a chance?

The organization does not care more about money than health. You must of missed the agent's statement that makes it clear his client has an issue. Some guy skips rehab and you start defending him. And then you make excuses to keep defending him. This is easy. Jack is paid to go to work. Jack didn't go to work. Nothing to do with a greedy capitalist organization. Sheeeesh.

The organization does not care more about money than health. You must of missed the agent's statement that makes it clear his client has an issue. Some guy skips rehab and you start defending him. And then you make excuses to keep defending him. This is easy. Jack is paid to go to work. Jack didn't go to work. Nothing to do with a greedy capitalist organization. Sheeeesh.
All I am saying is that I will wait to hear more facts instead of buying hook, line & sinker the media leak by the team and dumping on Jack. Same goes for Bailey. I'm naturally skeptical of this team when it comes to health related disputes with the players. You can believe what you want.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Back