PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Reiss on Wolf’s draft philosophy

Firstly it's an exercise for small minds. You can't win a ring without a complete team, last I checked any and every QB in history who won a single ring had great coaches and teammates. There's never been a QB throughout history who took a bad team to a championship game and won it... I doubt an "average" team has won it. But I can rattle off 12 merely average/good QB's who have won rings in my lifetime.

And a player going to an already good/great team like Brady, Lebron or Roger Clemens is simpler than rebuilding and turning an entire program around, which is akin to turning a massive oil tanker 180 degrees in a bay... apples/oranges.

And who was more important?

BB drafted and developed Brady, Tom didn't just appear out of the mist like excalibur. The guy found and molded Brady.

And he didn't just develop Brady, he developed the entire team around him. They don't win in 2001 without Seymour.

It's a player game, BB found and developed the players.

I don't see much, beyond an organization/owner trying to wrestle back power for himself. There will be time to celebrate BB after he retires.

I think people are hyper sensitive and reactionary. Middle aged to young Patriots fans are so outside their comfort zone for the first time in over two decades. Maybe the organization is as well and Mayo is certainly green at the job.

Fans don't know how to act, and the guy who used to absorb all the slings and arrows is gone.
There was a thread around here a few years ago that used percentages to award credit to players, coaches and owners, only it was specific to Tom, Bill and Bob. I think our only difference is how much credit goes where.

Ironically, the man who's gone is now taking slings and arrows from the man who thinks he needs to throw those slings and arrows. I don't see how it helps the team.

I think the real trick is the QB I don't think there is anyway to game that system very little works without the QB. I think Bill's philosophies very likely would work better than most with a number of very good QBs not just Brady unfortunately Mac and the tailend of Cam were certainly not good enough.
How terribly hard would it have been for the patriots to obtain a backup veteran QB before the 2023 season? Whoever that was would now be our starter for 2024. for me, the issue for us is timing. We needed backups at QB and OT in 2023 in the off-season or before the trde deadline. The 2024 crisis at those positions was foreseeable.

Sure, mistakes have been made at WR. Thornton and Parker didn't work out receiving from the worst QB's in the NFL. Shuster is taking longer to receiver, if that even happens. HOWEVER, Douglas was a huge success. And Bourne was also, before his injury. IMO, this year, we should sign one WR in free agency; my choice is Bourne. And then, we can take a couple of shots later in the draft, and from other teams' late cuts. Next year, we can add a top WR that will fit in with our new Offense.

How terribly hard would it have been for the patriots to obtain a backup veteran QB before the 2023 season? Whoever that was would now be our starter for 2024. for me, the issue for us is timing. We needed backups at QB and OT in 2023 in the off-season or before the trde deadline. The 2024 crisis at those positions was foreseeable.

Sure, mistakes have been made at WR. Thornton and Parker didn't work out receiving from the worst QB's in the NFL. Shuster is taking longer to receiver, if that even happens. HOWEVER, Douglas was a huge success. And Bourne was also, before his injury. IMO, this year, we should sign one WR in free agency; my choice is Bourne. And then, we can take a couple of shots later in the draft, and from other teams' late cuts. Next year, we can add a top WR that will fit in with our new Offense.
Would have been nice to have that vet in place already. But if you rewind to last March I'm not sure adding a vet onto that powder keg would of helped or blown things up quicker.

Would have been nice to have that vet in place already. But if you rewind to last March I'm not sure adding a vet onto that powder keg would of helped or blown things up quicker.
and that would have been good or bad?

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots WR Javon Baker Conference Call
TRANSCRIPT: Layden Robinson Conference Call
MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
Back