PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Reports: Fred Taylor signed

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Fred Taylor Signed

I suspect that we now can relieve Hobbs of kick return duties and have Maroney as our kick returner. His cost is very low for 2009 and 2010.

I suspect that we now can relieve Hobbs of kick return duties and have Maroney as our kick returner. His cost is very low for 2009 and 2010.

Hobbs is a #2 Corner at best!! He is one of the best Kick returners in the game!! Maroney is injury prone and i hope we can trade him this season and grab another RB that wont get injured every 2 games!!

Good point, this is a huge signing in my opinion because Morris is so effective in the run game and I can only imagine how Fred will be.

Thank you for stating the obvious truth. It's sure to generate a lot of anger around here as any questioning of the playcalling - especially in a season that can be statistically proven to be 18-1 - is usually attacked around here.

You do realize that the 2007 Patriots were tie for 9th in the league with 28.2 rushes per game, right? That they were only 1 carry per game behind the Vikings? That they were 5th in the league in rushing TDs? 3rd in the league in Rushing First Downs? Tied for 2nd in the league in rushing first down percentage? Behind only the Colts with only 2 rushing fumbles all year?

The 2007 Patriots passing offense was awesome, but the idea that they didn't run the ball is ludicrous.

Hobbs is a #2 Corner at best!! He is one of the best Kick returners in the game!! Maroney is injury prone and i hope we can trade him this season and grab another RB that wont get injured every 2 games!!

According to football outsider's stats, (last year, haven't seen this years charting data) Hobbs in a middle of the league #1. Have you seen what other teams are trotting out for #2s?

That's a suprise, especially before any Cassel trade. Interested to see what he has left.

I live a couple hours from Jax and go to their games sometimes just for the hell of it. If this happens, I'm thinking I'll order myself a Taylor jersey to wear at their games. :D

Time for me to start shopping!

Welcome to the team, Fred. Show us you still got it!

This is a good signing. Taylor won't be the Taylor of years past, but as part of a committee he has the potential to average 4.5 ypc, in my opinion, and provide valuable depth. He should be healthier than Lamont was last year.

Not to mention Taylor taught Maurice Jones-Drew a lot about what it takes to be a great back in this league, something he would seem more than willing to do again with Maroney.

Will be interesting to see if Taylor can run in the mud, cold and snow.

I think he's always been a Florida guy.

Ugh. Stats. The mortal enemy of people who know anything about football.

Apparently, it's THE WAY for some to evaluate talent. :rolleyes:

Sure, he's not a 30 carry guy...

This offense is Taylor-made for a 15-18 carry RB. Move the ball via the pass, mix in a few runs to keep the defense honest, control the clock when necessary, run it with the lead in Q4. That's about it.

Last edited:

Will be interesting to see if Taylor can run in the mud, cold and snow.

I think he's always been a Florida guy.

We can just play him in warm weather games and Morris in the cold games lol

Pete Prisco has Taylor saying he hasn't signed yet:

LINK

Granted, Prisco is a moron.

Well, possibly Taylor's agent hasn't stopped by with the papers to sign yet.:rolleyes:

Schefter just said it is a 2 year deal :D

I hope this deal was for relatively short money, because I still don't think Taylor has much left in the tank.

I hope this deal was for relatively short money, because I still don't think Taylor has much left in the tank.

Disagree. This is a GREAT signing whatever the money. He'll get 12 carries a game in our multiple-rb scheme. And those will be solid carries. Don't forget-- the dude can block and catch too. And he'd be an excellent mentor for LoMo. There are some parallels in their careers and if he can get LoMo to be productive for us long-term that'd be worth the money alone.

Last edited:

There is no reason to cut Maroney. He costs more to cut next year than to keep.

I actually don't want to see Maroney go (he has shown potential and I'd like to see if he can actually play a full season and make a long-term difference), but the question is will he come back capable of carrying the ball or does he represent damaged goods? As he is $1.7 million against the cap if he stays or $2.1 million if he leaves, the difference is $400k with the real difference being him holding a spot that could otherwise be assigned on the 53-man roster.

can't see this as anything but a positive pickup for the Pats. Any kind of positive influence for eLMo is a plus. With Faulk and Morris still in the mix, it seems we're full for the season on RBs.

I actually don't want to see Maroney go (he has shown potential and I'd like to see if he can actually play a full season and make a long-term difference), but the question is will he come back capable of carrying the ball or does he represent damaged goods? As he is $1.7 million against the cap if he stays or $2.1 million if he leaves, the difference is $400k with the real difference being him holding a spot that could otherwise be assigned on the 53-man roster.

That's what training camp is for...picking who is ready to play, the Patriots' way.

Status
Not open for further replies.

2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots WR Javon Baker Conference Call
TRANSCRIPT: Layden Robinson Conference Call
MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
Back