PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Rodney Harrison not a Drake Maye guy

I love Rodney, but he’s hardly someone I’d take college prospect advice from.

So another person has an opinion on the draft.

What a shock.

He wants Marvin because he has the same last name :rofl:

I'm starting to waffle on Maye and I have no idea why.
Had a long conversation about Maye with one of his coaches. Obviously,I'm not saying which one. But it was either the HC, OC or Qb coach.
So the guy knows Maye inside out.
Said he's a great kid, great arm,size,athleticism,works hard, will never give you any stupid off the field problems...However..
W/o me getting too detailed, let's just say his football acumen is um, less than ideal. To be generous.
I was high on Maye before the conversation. Not as much after.
That being said, I still think Maye and Daniels are the 2 best qb prospects in the draft, both ahead of Williams.
But if I was drafting, I'd most likely go with MHJ. FWIW

Had a long conversation about Maye with one of his coaches. Obviously,I'm not saying which one. But it was either the HC, OC or Qb coach.
Said he's a great kid, great arm,size,athleticism,works hard, will never give you any stupid off the field problems...However..
W/o me getting too detailed, let's just say his football acumen is um, less than ideal. To be generous.
That being said, I still think Maye and Daniels are the 2 best qb prospects in the draft, both ahead of Williams.
Btw, I'd draft MHJ  not because he's a stud wr, but because he is the consensus best player in the draft.
I would prefer the best bpa was a stud lt, because despite what some posters here who's football knowledge comes from playing fantasy football (lmao),
a stud lt is  way more valuable than a stud wr. But I havent yet read or talked to anyone who doesnt say MHJ is the bpa. So thats probaly who I'd go with.

i'm sure it's been mentioned in other threads but in a trade down and picking a 2nd round guy the team doesn't get a 5th year option on him. so less time to evaluate him. i'm a little more inclined to take a qb in the first just because it isn't as costly as it used to be. but very open to trading back within the first rd or even to the second if it makes sense.

I respectfully disagree with Rodney and feel like after a year of holding clipboard and learning Maye is going to be a very good QB in this league….MHJ is going to be elite but we really need to start with a great QB candidate and I think Maye is that guy (Daniels could be very good as well). Not sure about McCarthy but Rattler is small and has some issues and I see him being ok backup…..Nix is a big wildcard as well. If Maye or Daniels is there at 3 you have to take them there and get it going ! This draft is very WR “rich”!!!

i'm sure it's been mentioned in other threads but in a trade down and picking a 2nd round guy the team doesn't get a 5th year option on him. so less time to evaluate him. i'm a little more inclined to take a qb in the first just because it isn't as costly as it used to be. but very open to trading back within the first rd or even to the second if it makes sense.
No way in hell would I wanna be the decision-maker for the Pats on this draft.
You have to have a quality qb in the nfl
to win big games consistently.
All these guys are flawed BUT 4 of them also have very high ceilings: Maye,Daniels,Williams and yes,Penix.
Penix has unquestionably the best arm in the draft. Not just on long bombs but his intermediate throws are absolute lasers. But he carries a lot of risk and has that funky delivery. Williams could be the next Mahomes,Maye the next Josh Allen, Daniels could easily be the best qb in the draft. Or they all could be busts. Or jags. If you hit the jackpot with one, youre going to SBs. But what if the guy never pans out, MHJ becomes a combo of Rice,Calvin Johnson,Jefferson and Tyreek Hill?
MHJ is the safe pick
One of these qbs is a roll of the dice.
If the qb becomes a quality qb, not on Brady- level but quality- then that's more valuable than MHJ. But if he doesn't you wasted an opportunity and set your team back a few more years.

He chooses Marvin Harrison Jr at 3.
Says he’s the best player in the draft and instantly transforms the offense.
Hard to argue with that logic, but a franchise QB Is so valuable.
There’s still part of me who agrees with Rodney about Harrison JR and trading back up for Nix, Pennix or drafting Rattler.

Rodney is high. Drafting a possession receiver with the 3rd pick is the worst move they could make. If they really don’t want the QB then take one of the trade offers, but not the Bronco’s purported offer, which is akin to trading out of this draft completely.

The simple fact that Rodney has no answer at QB tells you that he hasn’t thought this through at all. Getting your franchise QB is the most important decision, period. Until you do that you are going nowhere.

Give me Harrison Jr, and Nix.
Or Harrison Jr, Worthy and Rattler.

At this point you have “ I told you so” completely covered, as you have said you want every possible pick, and or combination of trades and picks there is .

I'm starting to waffle on Maye and I have no idea why.

Doubts always creep in at this point in time. But even using the logic of those who don’t want them to take the QB you should take the QB. As they argue that it’s too much of a risk, in which case you should use the 1st on a QB every year until they hit on their franchise QB. Because you are never going to do dogshit until you get one. Unless, of course, you are on Jim Irsay “ Playof Participant in 20..” bandwagon, and only care about being competitive.

The only argument against taking the QB is if the consensus in their Draft room is that none of the top 3 QB’s available to them are going to be franchise QB’s. At which point you take the best trade offer available, and realize that it’s going to be a long time before you will be going to another Super Bowl. Next years QB class sucks, and you are never going to get one in free agency, because no team with a franchise QB is going to let them leave. They could always try the 40 year old veteran route that gives you a 1 year window, but other than that you are basically screwed.

and that is what will happen. You would think Kraft would have learned that lesson with Mac

If Kraft is the one making the pick then we are all screwed anyways, so you might as plan your fall and winter activities accordingly. And if Jonathan decides he’s a football mind then we will always have the dynasty years to look back fondly on.

I've heard similar. Gotta little Bledsoe in him.

saw cosell break him down on a special matchup show. doesn't sound like what i'd want. the guy who intrigues me is penix. from the clips i saw,the standout traits are excellent accuracy/placement and great pocket movement.

If I had to take a WR I would take Nabers over Harrison. I don’t want a possession receiver, I want one that can go the distance on every reception. I’m sure Harrison will be a great possession receiver, I just don’t want one.

saw cosell break him down on a special matchup show. doesn't sound like what i'd want. the guy who intrigues me is penix. from the clips i saw,the standout traits are excellent accuracy/placement and great pocket movement.
I really like Penix. Big hands too.

I've heard similar. Gotta little Bledsoe in him.

This is why I say that the reason for trading out of the pick is that your draft room doesn’t believe in the prospect. I would take any of the 3 available, but that’s based on what I have seen, and projections of these guys having upsides like Josh Allen or Randall Cunngham Jr. etc… Howrver if they are looking at Maye and seeing a poor football IQ, or a long slow delivery, which is what doomed Justin Fields, then pass on him. Same goes for Daniels and McCarthy, I would be fine with either, but if they see traits that they believe can’t be overcome, then take the 3 first rounders, trade out again for a couple more first rounders in the 25’ Draft, and then use the 5 first round picks it will take to move from 3 to 1 in the 26’ Draft for Arch Manning Jr.

This is why I say that the reason for trading out of the pick is that your draft room doesn’t believe in the prospect. I would take any of the 3 available, but that’s based on what I have seen, and projections of these guys having upsides like Josh Allen or Randall Cunngham Jr. etc… Howrver if they are looking at Maye and seeing a poor football IQ, or a long slow delivery, which is what doomed Justin Fields, then pass on him. Same goes for Daniels and McCarthy, I would be fine with either, but if they see traits that they believe can’t be overcome, then take the 3 first rounders, trade out again for a couple more first rounders in the 25’ Draft, and then use the 5 first round picks it will take to move from 3 to 1 in the 26’ Draft for Arch Manning Jr.
I agree. Taking a player "just to take him" is stupid.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Back