PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Rodney Harrison not a Drake Maye guy

I agree. Taking a player "just to take him" is stupid.

Yep. As much as I want the QB at 3 if their evaluations conclude that none of the 3 is a franchise caliber QB then they have no choice but to trade out. To me taking a receiver or tackle over 3 first round picks is crazy, especially when they are going to need multiple 1st round picks to trade up for a franchise QB in a future draft.

Had a long conversation about Maye with one of his coaches. Obviously,I'm not saying which one. But it was either the HC, OC or Qb coach.
So the guy knows Maye inside out.
Said he's a great kid, great arm,size,athleticism,works hard, will never give you any stupid off the field problems...However..
W/o me getting too detailed, let's just say his football acumen is um, less than ideal. To be generous.
I was high on Maye before the conversation. Not as much after.
That being said, I still think Maye and Daniels are the 2 best qb prospects in the draft, both ahead of Williams.
But if I was drafting, I'd most likely go with MHJ. FWIW
I've heard some that have met him question his overall intelligence but then others that have met him say it's because his personality (southern bumpkin?) makes you think he's not smart but say he's actually pretty intelligent.
The OC for NC was absolutely terrible, the play calling was laughable at times.
CJ Stroud was heavily knocked for his lack of football acumen FWIW.

I will say he got no coaching last year, It was like going from McDaniel's to Patricia, I can't underestimate how bad his coaching was last year, also makes me wonder this person is passing blame to Maye for their own incompetence, hard to tell.

It's something that only the teams can answer by in person interviews, if he does struggle with football acumen it would make it harder to teach him what he needs because he has all the physical talent in the world, everything he needs to correct are coachable things but if he can't process the coaching and put it into play then he won't ever come close to his ceiling.

At this point you have “ I told you so” completely covered, as you have said you want every possible pick, and or combination of trades and picks there is .
Haha either way In Wolf I trust

1713785234933.jpeg

There’s just no way the team takes Harrison Jr. They’re either taking a QB at 3 or getting a draft pick haul to trade down.

There are a few avenues they could go. The Vikings are the most commonly mentioned, but the Giants are another shorter trade option. The Broncos and Raiders also both want to come up. If Maye goes at 2 overall and Daniels is available at 3, expect the Raiders to offer a kings ransom.

I've heard some that have met him question his overall intelligence but then others that have met him say it's because his personality (southern bumpkin?) makes you think he's not smart but say he's actually pretty intelligent.

I will say he got no coaching last year, It was like going from McDaniel's to Patricia, I can't underestimate how bad his coaching was last year, also makes me wonder this person is passing blame to Maye for their own incompetence, hard to tell.

It's something that only the teams can answer by in person interviews, if he does struggle with football acumen it would make it harder to teach him what he needs because he has all the physical talent in the world, everything he needs to correct are coachable things but if he can't process the coaching and put it into play then he won't ever come close to his ceiling.

Agree completely. This is the stuff we just don’t know, and it’s critical to the question of whether they will succeed or not. Same goes for the rest of them.At quarterback they need it all, talent, character, desire, work ethic, and football IQ. Hopefully they can fix it in this draft.

I don't think people are questioning his intellect. They are questioning his football IQ and ability to anticipate and make the correct decision.

For every Stroud there is a Fitzmagic.

If I had to take a WR I would take Nabers over Harrison. I don’t want a possession receiver, I want one that can go the distance on every reception. I’m sure Harrison will be a great possession receiver, I just don’t want one.
I'm not sure what your definition of a possession receiver is (like Cooper Kupp, whom I'd gladly pick at 3 on a redo since Mahomes would go 1), but MHJ has some of the best top end speed of all the college prospects at any position, having been measured at 22.2mph (tied for 10th) on a TD run. Nabers isn't even in the top 90, while his teammate Thomas got up to 21.4mph (tied for 41st). Here's an example in a clip where the RB is taking it to the house peaking at 21.6mph, but MHJ looks like he's not close to full speed.

There’s just no way the team takes Harrison Jr. They’re either taking a QB at 3 or getting a draft pick haul to trade down.

There are a few avenues they could go. The Vikings are the most commonly mentioned, but the Giants are another shorter trade option. The Broncos and Raiders also both want to come up. If Maye goes at 2 overall and Daniels is available at 3, expect the Raiders to offer a kings ransom.

Agree completely. But I have no interest in the suggested deal with the Bronco’s. The #12, a 3rd, a 1st next year, and Surtain is just a bad idea. The #12 is just past the cutoff for blue chip prospects in this draft. And then you are essentially trading out of this draft, which is loaded at WR and OT, and taking a great cornerback, but one who is going to want to become the highest paid corner in football in a year or so. If they have to trade then ell the Vikings they want 3 first rounders, period, if they won’t give them then push for 2 1st’s and their 2nd next year.

I'm not sure what your definition of a possession receiver is (like Cooper Kupp, whom I'd gladly pick at 3 on a redo since Mahomes would go 1), but MHJ has some of the best top end speed of all the college prospects at any position, having been measured at 22.2mph (tied for 10th) on a TD run. Nabers isn't even in the top 90, while his teammate Thomas got up to 21.4mph (tied for 41st). Here's an example in a clip where the RB is taking it to the house peaking at 21.6mph, but MHJ looks like he's not close to full speed.

If he’s so fast why was he the only receiver not to run for the scouts? The last 40 time on record was after high school at 4.60. And Devin McCourty was clocked at either 22 or 23 mph in one game. Harrison Jr. is a possession receiver, not a Eandy Moss. He could become Andre Johnson or Larry Fitzgerald, both great players, but he’s never going to be Randy Moss.

I honestly think he knew a 40 time would kill his draft position, and that’s why he wouldn’t run one.

There were some Tebow-esque throws during his Pro Day, which is consistent with what former SB winning QBs have said in that he misses too many layups.

Ground Emerges As Tim Tebow's Favorite Target​

PublishedAugust 16, 2012

We may earn a commission from links on this page.

Image for article titled Ground Emerges As Tim Tebow's Favorite Target

There were some Tebow-esque throws during his Pro Day, which is consistent with what former SB winning QBs have said in that he misses too many layups.
I saw about 8 really bad throws, but I I think the kid was nervous.
Watching the Dynasty I almost forget how good we had it with Drew and Tom.
My gut tells me JJ is the best QB for the Pats but whoever we draft I am hoping we hit on it again.

Agree completely. But I have no interest in the suggested deal with the Bronco’s. The #12, a 3rd, a 1st next year, and Surtain is just a bad idea. The #12 is just past the cutoff for blue chip prospects in this draft. And then you are essentially trading out of this draft, which is loaded at WR and OT, and taking a great cornerback, but one who is going to want to become the highest paid corner in football in a year or so. If they have to trade then ell the Vikings they want 3 first rounders, period, if they won’t give them then push for 2 1st’s and their 2nd next year.
Yeah I struggle to find a good trade package from Denver. The Raiders are also tough - pick 13 is not extremely desirable - but it's slightly easier to find players I would want. Davante Adams is getting old but is still a WR1 for now and can be very effective even if he loses some top end speed. They also could send LT Kolton Miller and solve that problem.

If he’s so fast why was he the only receiver not to run for the scouts? The last 40 time on record was after high school at 4.60. And Devin McCourty was clocked at either 22 or 23 mph in one game. Harrison Jr. is a possession receiver, not a Eandy Moss. He could become Andre Johnson or Larry Fitzgerald, both great players, but he’s never going to be Randy Moss.

I honestly think he knew a 40 time would kill his draft position, and that’s why he wouldn’t run one.
Funny, I was going to say that he is close to the exact same height/size as a fully developed Randy Moss (except shorter arms and 0.3" shorter height - 15lbs heavier at the Combine but Moss gained 15lbs to get to peak size), who was measured at supposedly 22.7mph as a Vike by the same methods.

I have a feeling MHJ was advised by his HoF dance mom not to do it - absolutely nothing to gain. The dude has fantastic top end speed and has the potential to take it to the house every time. Imho, it's indisputable from just measuring the cadence (steps per minute) that he can get up to at his height, 6'3.2" along with his stride. We'll have to agree to disagree on that.

McCourty has the 2 fastest speeds as a ball carrier for the Pats in the Next Gen era (with highest at 22.05mph). The dude has fantastic top end speed and is one of the reasons why he's getting a red jacket.

He chooses Marvin Harrison Jr at 3.
Says he’s the best player in the draft and instantly transforms the offense.
Hard to argue with that logic, but a franchise QB Is so valuable.
There’s still part of me who agrees with Rodney about Harrison JR and trading back up for Nix, Pennix or drafting Rattler.
It's becoming more apparent to me that we will get the 'bag" offered this week.. imagine after it's all said and done having MHJ.. penix Jr. And a LT all in the first few rounds.. hard to be mad at that..

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Back