PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Player Signing Running Back C.J. Marable signed

Marable is back up to Strong/Harris. Strong is 3rd down backup and Harris is early down backup to Stevenson

edit: until Monty comes back, if he ever does

Last edited:
Marable is back up to Strong/Harris. Strong is 3rd down backup and Harris is early down backup to Stevenson

edit: until Monty comes back, if he ever does
Yes. as you posted.

We have signed a competitor for Taylor's position.
==================================
We still could use a better upgrade.

I'm not sure that we can depend on this guy or on Harris.

Ok.. so there is a 1/4 inch difference in height. They are both small for the RB position.
Taylor: 5'5 2/8
Marable: 5'6 7/8

That's 1 5/8" in height difference between Marable and Taylor.

Yes. as you posted.

We have signed a competitor for Taylor's position.
==================================
We still could use a better upgrade.

I'm not sure that we can depend on this guy or on Harris.
I just don't think they will until they know they don't have Monty for the start of the season, or there's another injury. There's still another week or 2 before they really need to do something. All of the FA's are still out there too, so it's not like they're running out of options. Plus there could be a cut from another team that they like. I know their patience is driving some people here nuts but I think it's the right approach. I'm WAY more worried about the OL health than I am the RB depth.

I never wrote that he wasn’t small for a RB. I wrote that he was thick. 195 lbs. on a 5’6” frame is thick.
Oh ok.. got it.. I don't know what this signing means.. hard to gadge anything with our young backs how putrid the line is. I'm concerned week 1.. that eagles front is relentless

Small guy who had success against small college competition

He's competing to take Taylor's roster spot. I think that he has a chance.

Ok BB playing chess while everyone else is playing checkers.:rolleyes:

View attachment 52026

This kid is thick….5’6”, 195. Decent speed (4.53).
Ran a 4.58 at his pro day. Not decent speed, no decent measurables at all. Averaged 4.2 yards a carry vs USFL defenses. I’m not excited about this at all. He does have good hands as a receiving back, but that’s about it.

That being said, I rather they give Strong & Harris a chance once they can field a decent O-Line instead of signing a guy that you can’t with any certainty say is better than Strong or Harris.

Ran a 4.58 at his pro day. Not decent speed, no decent measurables at all. Averaged 4.2 yards a carry vs USFL defenses. I’m not excited about this at all. He does have good hands as a receiving back, but that’s about it.

That being said, I rather they give Strong & Harris a chance once they can field a decent O-Line instead of signing a guy that you can’t with any certainty say is better than Strong or Harris.
The report that I read and referenced listed 4.53, but looks like that was incorrect. Yes, I agree that I was being a bit generous by calling a 4.53 40 decent RB speed…. maybe decent based upon RB average speed a decade ago but from what I recall, the average combine RB speed is now in the high 4.4s.

CJ Marable: 5’8, my weight is in the 197 – 200-pound range and my 40 time was a 4.42 during training last month.

LOL. Nice try CJ.

I doubt that anyone here is excited about this signing, unless they are friends with or related to Marable. If they are going to sign an undrafted free agent at this point, one would think that they would target a player with an elite measurable (size) or skill (pass blocking or catching, short yardage wrecking ball). The signing doesn’t make much sense to me, other than just as a camp body to reduce wear, and tear on the backs who will make the 53. Harris and Strong need the practice reps, though.

I don’t want Mondre taking a single snap in joint practices or preseason games, unless their starting OL is blocking for him.

Let’s go Chanticleers!

Too bad there weren't better RBs available at this time.

Oh wait...

Good to know that Billy, in the words of another poster in another thread, hasn't yet lost all of his Marables.

Good to know that Billy, in the words of another poster in another thread, hasn't yet lost all of his Marables.
There are 90 roster soots to manage. Using one for a competitor to JJ Taylor as a practice squad developmental guy is reasonable. Unfortunately, here, many expect all 90 to be all pros.

Practice player and eventually practice squad

There are 90 roster soots to manage. Using one for a competitor to JJ Taylor as a practice squad developmental guy is reasonable. Unfortunately, here, many expect all 90 to be all pros.
And if all 90 don’t make the final 53 then Belichick totally blew it…

Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Back