PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Schefter: Bill Belichick & Patriots to Part Ways

Belichick traded for Cooks when he still had two years left on his rookie deal and came cheap. The one year he was here, he only counted about $1.5 million against the cap. Belichick traded him away the following year probably in part because he didn't want to pay Cooks his next contract. When the Pats traded him to the Texans, he got a five year, $81 million extension with over $20 million in guarantees. I don't see Belichick ever giving Cooks or any other WR that type of deal.
He wouldn't have traded for him at all if he didn't believe the team was going to keep him.

That's an incredible risk giving up a #1. He's lucky he got another back.

The deciding factor here is that Cooks didn't perform to the level of someone getting that kind of money. If he had, the Patriots wouldn't have traded him. Saints thought the same thing the Patriots did. Not worth $15m a year.

And the contract you're citing is overinflated. It had a balloon payment at the end. He never played the 5th yr for the Rams. The Patriots actually traded him to the Rams (remember, he was in the 2018 Super Bowl against the Patriots). Total guaranteed was $49.5m which he earned over 4 years. He never saw the back end of that contract.

Hi Ian,

This is Brewskies; it has been one hell of a run. I want to say that because of your efforts with PatsFans.com, you have created and maintained over the years the best sports forum in sports, all sports.

Thank you, Ian, for providing me with an app that brought a lot of fun to a game I love and a team I felt the same way about.

Now, all good things must come to an end.

Please remove me from the financial support of PatsFans.com. I no longer wish to support financially your excellent forum; let the next generation of Patriots fans do that.

At 88 years old, it is time for me to follow my thoughts. I do not see myself as part of Robert Kraft's rebuild. This is the final time Robert Kraft will disappoint this former Patriot Fan.

I wish the Patriots well. I hope the present Patriots fans get as much enjoyment from a team and sport as I did during my 64 years and the use of this forum for many of those years.

Ian, please make sure you remove my credit card. I donated my money to support this forum for many years. It is someone else turn to enjoy and take care of PatsFans.com.

Best of health to you, Ian, and all the PatsFans.com members, past and present.

As Bill would say, onto the next one.

Later, Brewskies
PM sent ;)

Last edited:

Lol I respect what Mac did here but he's a major reason why BB is gone
His mediocre play last year and the abysmal play this year led to the downfall

Do I just dislike Mac irrationally or does he just sound as fake here as all his press conferences? Very bland statement that does not at all sound genuine.

Do I just dislike Mac irrationally or does he just sound as fake here as all his press conferences? Very bland statement that does not at all sound genuine.
Fake. Or at the least socially awkward.

Fake. Or at the least socially awkward.

It's just a young man in a very awkward situation trying to say the right things about a legendary coach nearly 50 years his senior who was just let go. I don't sense anything "fake" at all in that statement. In fact, it seems both humble and gracious.

It's just a young man in a very awkward situation trying to say the right things about a legendary coach nearly 50 years his senior who was just let go. I don't sense anything "fake" at all in that statement. In fact, it seems both humble and gracious.
Okay.

As a lifelong pats fan thanks for everything bill. The next time Kraft brings him back to foxborough, it’ll be when bill has a statue outside Gillette. It’s been a hell of a ride
hope that statue has him wearing his hoodie with cut off sleeves.

I think Evan Lazar resumed it the best for me on Catch-22

The video is timestamped to the part in question.

The only amazing thing I see on this thread is how no one is asking for Kraft to walk away from football

Not only he's completely gutless, he's past that retirement point of "enjoying life" to being completely shameless.

Personally? I doubt Kraft fired BB, i think BB was too adamant of relinquising control and couldn't trust RK to make good decisions.

Ever since deflategate, EVERYTHING Kraft does irks me, it's actually incredible
Kraft has done a hell of a lot for this team when other owners were happy to just use their team as a money making machine. As for Kraft personally, he is a horrible public speaker and right or wrong made choices on what the football expert he hired told him except for 1 time mas far as I know/believe. Many owners make the mistake of trying to do football things. Kraft generally didn't do that. If he did make a mistake it was not having a check and balance to Bill's influence. He probably should have as I believe Bill at times made choices that were best for him/his ego and not the team. As just about any person would do to some degree. As for who runs the team now. It's mostly his son as we know with Kraft being more of a figure head and in the room to confirm big decisions.

Last edited:
This can become an Andy Reid situation for another team that are looking to rebuild.

Dude is 72. He’s coaching to beat the record and retiring. And not going to a rebuilding team. It will be a team that wants to win right away.

Think chargers, or if Atlanta goes out and signs a QB

He wasn’t beating the record here at our pace. Unless he stays another 4-5 years.

Falcons just seem like a weird place for BB.
I can't see him representing the south, but who knows...
He'll definitely go wherever the ownership is the most solid and hands off - and that might be Atlanta (or Washington)
Atlanta is in one of the pancake divisions and would be a good fit.

I think Evan Lazar resumed it the best for me on Catch-22

The video is timestamped to the part in question.

Steelers example of being competitive is a ****ing joke.

Monday Patriots Notebook 5/6: News and Notes
Tom Brady Sustains, Dishes Some Big Hits on Netflix Roast Special
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
Back