PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Schefter: Patriots trade Maroney to Denver for 2011 4th - Broncos get 2011 6 [merged]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Schefter: Patriots trade Maroney to Denver for 2011 4th - Broncos get 2011 6 [mer

And we had to give up a 6th. So in reality his worth was more like a 6th rounder or whatever you feel would take to move from the 6th to the 4th round.

Yikes! :eek:

Did BB give a sweetheart deal to Josh to be repaid later?? Gosh, I hope so. Wish we had him on the field for some plays this year...

Wonder how the other players feel about this.

Re: Schefter: Patriots trade Maroney to Denver [merged]

LOL. Ok tough guy. Your post implied that they just released him (i.e., "BB said my way or the highway..blah blah blah"). The fact is they had 5 backs they felt pretty good about, they weren't going to resign him and they got a valuable draft pick in return by trading him. Let me spell it out for you: The sole reason Maroney was shipped out was because he has BY FAR the most trade value of any of the backs on the roster. If BJGE could've commanded a third, be assured that he would have been the one traded.

LOL. Calm down, Francis. My post implied no such thing. BB likely got sick of his inconsistent production and fragility. Then he started fumbling more often during the end of the season last year which by itself might be worked on, but in addition to his other problems it had gone too far. With all of this BB apparently had the offer to get a decent pick for him. Maybe BB would have traded BJGE for a third- he probably would have, but then he'd have more holes to fill (RB and a good amount of special teams).

So I agree with you partially, I'm just not sure who pissed in your frosted flakes today, but be assured that it wasn't me. Lighten up.

Re: Schefter: Patriots trade Maroney to Denver for 2011 4th - Broncos get 2011 6 [mer

I really hate this deal. If (when?) Fred Taylor goes down, I don't see another legitimate option on the roster. Sammy Morris is good in small doses, Faulk is purely a passing game back, and Green-Ellis is fringe roster player. I feel like our entire running game now is based on a 34 year old staying healthy or catching lightning in a bottle with a running back not currently employed. To give up the insurance Maroney offered to move up to the 4th round from the 6th, just is not worth it to me.

I like Laurence. I think he got a bad rap here that he didn't deserve. The sad thing about it was I feel like he really started getting that rap when his shoulder was injured and he physically could not run, yet didn't talk about his injury per team rules. I hope Laurence does well in Denver, and I hope the Patriots have an ace up their sleeve at RB (Javarris James?) because they likely will need it.

maroney.gif

Tap dancing all the way to Denver.

Wow, big news indeed. What did we get in return?

In return, the Patriots got cap room to pay Randy Moss.

Last edited:

In return, the Patriots got cap room to pay Randy Moss.

This was the last year of Maroney's contract, and there's no cap.

Yikes! :eek:

Did BB give a sweetheart deal to Josh to be repaid later?? Gosh, I hope so. Wish we had him on the field for some plays this year...

Wonder how the other players feel about this.

Maybe it's throwing in the pick as compensation for the Patriots claiming Josh Barrett earlier in the summer? :D Nah, it was simply that the 6th round pick was sweetener for the deal.

But seriously regarding the 6th round pick everyone seems to forget that New England had 2 6th rounders next year before the Maroney trade- one came from New Orleans as part of the David Thomas trade last year.

And I am of the belief that Maroney's trade was intentionally getting something for nothing. The rumors of them wanting to cut him ran deep during the latter part of TC and the preseason to the point that his former teammate had given up on him remaining with the team. They knew he was a goner and possibly the best they could get out of him would be a compensatory pick in 2012 that may have been a 4th rounder. The timing was odd but given the Grant situation that could have fueled talks with them using Green Bay as a way of getting a higher pick than Denver would have wanted to give up. It worked out for both sides in the end.

Last edited:

No Mo Lo Mo

Good luck Lawrence!

Color me quite surprised. A bit concerned about the age & miles on our RBs.
Given the event it tells me there was an attitude or locker room issue. BB is seemingly cleaning house of the guys who pissed in the pool the last 2 seasons.

0 on ignore here.

He seems universally disliked by vets. I'm not going to say they just wanted to get something, there was definitely a problem with with his attitude. My guess was he was considered soft, or too inconsistent in attitude.

Sure hope BJGE is this terror of a power back, I sure don't see it. Seems like a JAG to me.

Thank God!

Its about damn time, he was made of glass and should not of even lasted this long in foxboro. BB should of pulled the trigger last year....

"He's fast and he's made of glass":eat2:

Last edited:

He seems universally disliked by vets. I'm not going to say they just wanted to get something, there was definitely a problem with with his attitude. My guess was he was considered soft, or too inconsistent in attitude.

Sure hope BJGE is this terror of a power back, I sure don't see it. Seems like a JAG to me.

Word was, hes just immature and doesnt know how to act like a pro, they all think he has talent but doesnt know how to put it all together.

Thank God!

Its about damn time, he was made of glass and should not of even lasted this long in foxboro. BB should of pulled the trigger last year....

He was our leading rusher last year, we had injury problems.

Last edited:

He was our leading rusher last year, we had injury problems.

Ya that big 757 yds rushing was HUGE! Let me tell ya:rolleyes:BGJE was there and could of done a way better job.

Could of put of grandma back there and she could of got a 1000 yds with that line lol, come on now man.

The guy was a bust, he was a 6th rounder at best. BB and the front office messed up and thats ok, nobody is perfect.

Maroney sucked here and he will suck in Denver,better off in the arena league.....time to draft a running back who can produce in 2011

Enuff said

Maroney sucked here and he will suck in Denver,better off in the arena league.....time to draft a running back who can produce in 2011

Enuff said

More than enough.

By Karen Guregian and Ian R. Rapoport

While Taylor and Morris impressed this preseason, Maroney’s situation was curious. Maroney played sparingly, not seeing any snaps for two consecutive exhibition games.

Coach Bill Belichick was asked in the preseason if Maroney would help the team.

“Absolutely,” Belichick said.

Quote of the day! :D

YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! That dancing fool it GONE! I feel like dancing myself right now. Woohoo---yippeee----yeah!!!!!

Fanatical Yankee Approves of this Message. :D

Any donkey can carry the FootBall.

Running Backs are VASTLY overrated.

Give me an handful of Sam Morris, Kevin Faulk, and ~ had it been up to me ~ Scrappers like Deji Karim for 3rd Downs and Joique Bell for the Grunt Downs ~ and I'm happy.

Heavy investment in Front Walls equals Championships.

Heavy investment in "skill" positions equals perennial PlayOff team that always fall short.

I was campaigning, hot and heavy, before the Draft, for us to jettison Maroney for whatever we could get for his jitterbugging self: A 5th is what I would've expected; maybe a 4th.

Getting a 4th from a mid level Bronco team, minus a 6th from an elite team, equals a late 4th, in 2011, which is equivalent to a late 5th from 2010...So I feel good about the Value part of this trade, considering that the excessive pre season benching HAD to hack away at Maroney's Market Value...

But it irks me that only NOW does Coach B ~ who knows about 8 Million times MORE about FootBall than I do ~ see what I saw, 6 months ago, when we could've not only traded Maroney for better Value ~ there's no way the benching didn't hurt his value, so presumably we could've gotten a lot more than the equivalent of a late 2010 5th; a 4th, at least ~ but actually addressed the reduction in our arsenal!!

Now, it's too late to draft Deji Karim and others, and we'll have to make do...

As long as we can keep either Taylor or Morris healthy every game (not one or the other, but at least one of them healthy every game), this is a good deal. I just shudder if the Pats traded away Maroney and the Pats go into a game with BJGE and no one else.

Don't forget, Edelman was practicing with the RBs during TC. He's our depth. And Clock-killin'-Dilion gets out of jail soon. :)

We picked a thoroughbred and then found out we really needed the plow horse.

Nicely put.

If it was up to me, we'd never draft RB's before the 3rd Round, and usually much later: Give me a few Hard Yard Mashers ~ PlowHorses ~ and Under the Radar Slashers like Deji Karim and Darren Sproles, and let me invest Heavily in the Sebastian Vollmers, Logan Mankins, Nick Mangolds, Jahri Evans's, and Mike Ohers of the world, and we will dominate for YEARS with those alleged "second tier" Running Backs.

How would I pay for that Line?

Don't draft the Wide Outs until the 3rd Round or later, either: The guys who have lousy "40" times at RB AND WR, but are Quick, Ferocious, and VIOLENT, are the guys who Move the Chains...and win Championships.

And they're available APLENTY from the 3rd and 4th Round, on...

Nicely put.

If it was up to me, we'd never draft RB's before the 3rd Round, and usually much later: Give me a few Hard Yard Mashers ~ PlowHorses ~ and Under the Radar Slashers like Deji Karim and Darren Sproles, and let me invest Heavily in the Sebastian Vollmers, Logan Mankins, Nick Mangolds, Jahri Evans's, and Mike Ohers of the world, and we will dominate for YEARS with those alleged "second tier" Running Backs.

How would I pay for that Line?

Don't draft the Wide Outs until the 3rd Round or later, either: The guys who have lousy "40" times at RB AND WR, but are Quick, Ferocious, and VIOLENT, are the guys who Move the Chains...and win Championships.

And they're available APLENTY from the 3rd and 4th Round, on...

There is a lot of truth to this.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore