PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Schefter: Public appology broke down Mankins deal

Status
Not open for further replies.
So YOU would invite him back? And accede to his public demand (after calling you a liar in public) that you put out a nicer dinner next time???

Hey, to each his own. There are masochists out there and I'm sure they are fine people.

How many strawmen are you going to throw out there today?

You're being absolutely ridiculous.

My house is not my job. That should be obvious.

If Kraft wants to run his football franchise like he and his wife have to best friends with all his employees, he should get out of the business.

Troy Brown and Belichick understand this, you don't.

Last edited:
Both sides are at fault, but if this story is true, than Kraft looks like the fool here.. Usually he has been off hands on the belichick era , but this sounds lousy after they agreed to a deal...

Football is not a typical business like many of us run. Just look at employee salaries. The entertainment industry is different. Much of the 'talent' are prima donnas. These employees are NOT hired for their professional demeanor but are hired for their unique ($$$) physical attributes that allower owners to sell tix ($$) and TV rights ($$$$).

It is a flawed analogy to evaluate what a doofus like Mankins should say in public given his earlier remarks. Once again assuming the veracity of the report, Kraft needs to be the grownup and do what it takes within financial reason (which may not allow agreement) to provide the protection that his near $100M unique asset at QB requires. It's bad business to have Bob Kraft's pride (if so) kill a deal that's best for the business. BB always says that he does what's best for the team, period. Kraft needs to do the same.

Personally, I don't think it prudent to spend ~$7M or so on the guard position with talent at other positions needing cap bucks.

A thoughtful post. I'd respectfully point out that you have assumed that it's Kraft's pride that killed the deal. Maybe so. We're not privy to the details and none uf us knows for sure what the real story is.

It's possible (and I believe more likely) that it was Kraft's business judgement, not his pride. Kraft has owned the team for more than 15 years and I'd be hard pressed to identify a situation where Kraft has conducted himself in anything other than a business-like manner. This is just another business deal - why would the owner suddenly behave differently?

Both sides are at fault, but if this story is true, than Kraft looks like the fool here.. Usually he has been off hands on the belichick era , but this sounds lousy after they agreed to a deal...

Again, I think this has Jonathan's fingerprints all over it. It may have been somewhat personal to Bob, but to his son, having his father insulted was very personal.

Again, I think this has Jonathan's fingerprints all over it. It may have been somewhat personal to Bob, but to his son, having his father insulted was very personal.

very true.. Its a shame that something so simple , and we could have had him on the field this week., has become a point of no return.. I dont think Mankins will wear a pats uniform again, but I could be wrong..

A thoughtful post. I'd respectfully point out that you have assumed that it's Kraft's pride that killed the deal. Maybe so. We're not privy to the details and none uf us knows for sure what the real story is.

It's possible (and I believe more likely) that it was Kraft's business judgement, not his pride. Kraft has owned the team for more than 15 years and I'd be hard pressed to identify a situation where Kraft has conducted himself in anything other than a business-like manner. This is just another business deal - why would the owner suddenly behave differently?

You have just pinpointed why I don't think the baseline report is accurate or complete. There's likely more to this and some of it likely different. As others have said, seemingly Kraft is not handling this one situation the Patriot Way. Maybe that's because this isn't what happened.

Last edited:
I agree with the Jonathan Kraft theory and wrote on a general football board the below statement before reading this thread.

My theory is that this was 100% a Jonathan Kraft move. Bellichick doesn't give a flying **** about the political end and Robert already had his apology. If you've ever heard Jonathan talk about Parcells and how he left he is very protective of his father and I mean who isn't? But on the other hand I think in this case it really bit him in the @ss. I think in the end Robert is going to have to get involved and straight it out with Mankins, maybe even Bill calling him and helping to smooth it over.

I think if you've heard Jonathan talk about Parcells and how that went down you'll see my point and I'm not saying I'm right just that it makes sense.

If Kraft wants to run his football franchise like he and his wife have to best friends with all his employees, he should get out of the business..

It seems to be going pretty friggen well doing it his way.

I agree with the Jonathan Kraft theory and wrote on a general football board the below statement before reading this thread.

My theory is that this was 100% a Jonathan Kraft move. Bellichick doesn't give a flying **** about the political end and Robert already had his apology. If you've ever heard Jonathan talk about Parcells and how he left he is very protective of his father and I mean who isn't? But on the other hand I think in this case it really bit him in the @ss. I think in the end Robert is going to have to get involved and straight it out with Mankins, maybe even Bill calling him and helping to smooth it over.

I think if you've heard Jonathan talk about Parcells and how that went down you'll see my point and I'm not saying I'm right just that it makes sense.

It's the only way that this story makes sense.

No very true, I thought about the Parcells fiasco, and Johnthan has taken more offense than that.. Some has said that Belichick and Johnathan has had some issuies in the past, from 2002 during FA there was a story of friction between the 2...

Kudos to Bob Kraft. Mankins is an employee, and he publically insulted his boss, who is the teams owner, by criticizing his integrity and charactor. Screw him. I'd have done the same thing, were I even willing to rehire the guy in the first place. Want my $50+ million, well then say your sorry for calling me a liar. Good for Mr Kraft.

BTW, Mankins is so not worth that kind of money. Guards are replacable, and I agree with some others who feel that the $50 million would be better served if it were spent elsewhere. Trade Mankins for a player or a pick, and call it a day.

Another reasonable conjecture, congruent with past behaviours. Jonathan is a smart guy and not the typical doofus son inheriting the business but as an inheritor as opposed to the builder who had made the operational mistakes thru life and learned from them, Jonathan lacks some experiential judgement and is understandably enamored of his Dad and protecting his reputation.

Mankins and his minions damaged the Kraft brand and potentially their ability to do business going forward by publicly calling them liars. Assuming the Mankins party is the liar I think it would be prudent of the Krafts to require a public apology.

BTW, Mankins is so not worth that kind of money. Guards are replacable, and I agree with some others who feel that the $50 million would be better served if it were spent elsewhere. Trade Mankins for a player or a pick, and call it a day.

If guards were so replaceable, they wouldn't regularly be getting $40+M deals.

Had Kraft not demanded a public apology and Mankin$ signed his extension, what would've happened on his first day back might've gone something like this:

Not sure where everyone is getting this demanded and was a requirement, read the excerpt from the report:

Then, about 90 minutes later, just before finalizing the deal, the Patriots requested Mankins issue a public apology. Not only did Mankins refuse, but he became offended, according to sources. The optimism that had been built, the momentum that the talks had generated, completed collapsed -- and even regressed

Big difference between demanded and required to requested.

Mankins and his minions damaged the Kraft brand and potentially their ability to do business going forward by publicly calling them liars. Assuming the Mankins party is the liar I think it would be prudent of the Krafts to require a public apology.

Now THAT's a good arguement

Kraft is live on weei right now to address the situation!

Robert Kraft is on WEEI on Mankins situation NOW!!!

Kraft is denying a deal was ever in place. Says the Shefter report is wrong.

Here comes Felger to tell us its all spin.

BOYCOTT FELGER. Radio, TV, Internet, Print.

Kraft is live on weei right now to address the situation!

He spoke well and clearly.
He did misspeak with the following:

"We have never had a deal w..w..w..with...Nick Man...er...Logan Mankins."
How did he ever even get Mangold on the tip of his tongue?

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes