PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Shock night might not be over: Butler rumours

Status
Not open for further replies.
I would hate to see Butler go, and hopefully he is not on the trading block.

I think with the emergence of Badmofo, Rowe could be. Maybe try and recoop the 4th round pick he is going to cost them next year.

I would love to see the Pats lure Demarcus Ware out of retirement, hell why not Calvin Johnson too!

Trade Allen and a third round pick to the Lions for Ebron and the rights to Johnson!

Butler isn't Sherman or whatever other super shut down top CB one could name. But making mistakes does not mean his good value to the team isn't obvious. The Patriots don't have to have shut down corners (though it would be nice --though its not currently practical) they just need CBs who make the solid majority of passes competitively defensed.

One of those above Butler is in good position -- the WR just made a damn fine play. It happens. If Butler, Gilmore, JBad, Rowe, Jones etc can be in that kind of general position with a pass coming to their man then we should be in pretty good shape over a 60 minute game.

Jeebus, Straggler then please tell me WHAT THE HELL were they aiming for with that $65 million ($40 million guaranteed), cap busting contract to Gilmore if it wasn't to be a "shutdown corner"?????

They really valued his eyebrows?

Last edited:
He is nearly 30 and there is clearly something going on with this team and Butlerr's camp. If Bill doesn't plan on resigning him, he could be willing to sacrifice this year for the future in the form of draft picks. Sometimes he is delusional about his ability to coach up inferior talent and he is obsessed with acquiring draft picks. I'm not saying I agree with it, but I could see it happening.

You lost me in the first 4 words. He's 27.

***SURPRISE TRADE***

How about the Pats trade Gilmore for a DL?

I only suggest this because, so far, Bademosi has been a huge surprise so far and also held his own against 2 talented WR teams in the Falcons and Chargers. We also have Rowe coming back and we can also give Butler the contract he deserves.

Nobody wants Gilmore.

If you can get a 1st rounder for Butler you do it.

At this point he isn't worth the 14+m franchise tag, maybe that changes in the last 8 games but right now. NO.

I will have to take to my bed if something else like this happens...

Go straight to bed, because many shoes are going to be dropping today.

It would certainly leave our secondary weaker but if the offer is right I'm ok with a trade. Butler isn't staying next year. Trading him may cost us another SB, it's a tough math.

But I'm against packaging this SF pick + Butler for a player. I want this pick and if they are going to trade Butler let it be for another pick. I'd love another 2nd rounder.

This team is getting old in many positions, OT, TE, LB, QB, WR and we do not have a lot of ammo for the next draft. It seems that this next draft is a good one. If you could get value for players that are not staying do it. Again it may cost another SB but I'll trust BB's judgement. It can also pay for future ones, remember the Chandler Jones trade, in a SB window? Well Malcomn Mitchell and Thuney probably contributed more than CJ would in the SB51, and are staying here for another couple years at least.

It would certainly leave our secondary weaker but if the offer is right I'm ok with a trade. Butler isn't staying next year. Trading him may cost us another SB, it's a tough math.

But I'm against packaging this SF pick + Butler for a player. I want this pick and if they are going to trade Butler let it be for another pick. I'd love another 2nd rounder.

This team is getting old in many positions, OT, TE, LB, QB, WR and we do not have a lot of ammo for the next draft. It seems that this next draft is a good one. If you could get value for players that are not staying do it. Again it may cost another SB but I'll trust BB's judgement. It can also pay for future ones, remember the Chandler Jones trade, in a SB window? Well Malcomn Mitchell and Thuney probably contributed more than CJ would in the SB51, and are staying here for another couple years at least.

Just like trading Collins was supposed to make the team weaker and cost the team another SB?

How many times has any NFL player commanded multiple first round picks in trade value (let alone a backup QB), and when was the last time that it happened? Just curious as to where some of these ideas come from.

Multiple first rounders? Not likely

I feel confident that Jimmy G could have gotten a top 15 pick though.

Gilmore can't be traded. That would accelerate the amortization of his signing bonus. You'd probably have to cut/trade several starters to make this move. Not going to happen.

I don't understand why Gilmore is hated so much on this board.
It's going to be great to watch him shut people down and watch the board back peddle as smooth as Gilmore can.

I'm rooting for Gilmore 100%. I don't understand why it has to be a Zero-Sum game regarding him vs. Butler.

That being said, he is taking up precious cap space for the New England Patriots to be a shutdown corner. He needs to live up to those expectations.

Butler does his job. Is he the greatest ever? Hell no. Would I want him on the team taking up 10+ million per year in cap space? Hell no. Do I expect any player who is taking up that amount of space to know where he should be on the field? Hell yes.

He is the prototypical Patriot. Smart, plays far above his athletic ability, plays at 150%, knows the system inside and out, comes up big when the chips are down and others shrivel.

Why the hell didn't they give him the long-term contract instead of throwing $65 million ($40 million guaranteed) at the show pony? He would've taken half of that and we could have had another stud FA with the savings.

Oh right. You know what’s better for this team than Bill Belichick :rolleyes:

I don't understand why Gilmore is hated so much on this board.
It's going to be great to watch him shut people down and watch the board back peddle as smooth as Gilmore can.

Because it’s the Boston motto...stay loyal to the Rudy type player who overachieves and criticize the high 1st round talent who doesn’t make a spectacular play every play and call him a diva

Because it’s the Boston motto...stay loyal to the Rudy type player who overachieves and criticize the high 1st round talent who doesn’t make a spectacular play every play and call him a diva
Same here in Philly.

Multiple first rounders? Not likely

I feel confident that Jimmy G could have gotten a top 15 pick though.
If he could have gotten a first round pick from someone at the draft, why didnt that team outbid SF yesterday?

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes