PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

SMY: Moss, Burgess, Guyton, and Thomas sent home Wed after late for 8am meeting

Status
Not open for further replies.
Of all people Guyton?

A free agent who beat the odds ... if I was him I'm living at that hotel at the stadium the rest of the year.

i wonder if his locker is next to AD's... He's probably spreading his cancer.

So Belichick will get the Caughlin trophy isnstead of the Lombardi!

I agree with him making examples. Apparently his coaching staff has failed to get his team properly prepared or motivated so far this year.

However, in the end, winning on Sunday is not about whether your $10M stars get up at 5 or 6 in the morning, and risk their live to drive to a practice in the sleet that they usually skip in any case. I suppose they should ahve called a limo.

Discipline is discipline. I think the message is clear. After the lackluster loss against the Dolphins, I think that BB was just looking for an opportunity to make his position clear and he has done that. I hope that the players take it the right way and get the message to buckle down instead of to pout and act all pissed about it. The "Do your job" mantra has never been more apparent. If you show up late for your job, guess what, you're not doing your job.

Of all people Guyton?

A free agent who beat the odds ... if I was him I'm living at that hotel at the stadium the rest of the year.

Entirely agree. I'm not sure where Burgess stands (it could be the Raiders effect and not his attitude), but of that group I would wager he is the least likely to hear mentioned under this category again. Moss has generally been complimented for his work ethic by Brady, so I am not joining the media storm on him.

Tell me, are the people in the midwest who were late because of storms that were leaving 15 foot high drifts just slackers?

More reaching. First it's traffic accidents, now it's 15 foot drifts; neither of which apply to this situation. This most recent example is so outlandish, I'm not sure you even believe yourself anymore.

You refuse to acknowledge the possibility that they were irresponsible. Why?

Meh, so be it. You've got your opinion and I have mine.

Last edited:
That's not what I questioned. I questioned how he dealt with the consequences of failing to report back as previously agreed. I believe one of the Admins has written on that extensively in the past...

Fair enough.

You still have not answered why the Pats extended Seymour in 2006 and why it took them 5 years after the funeral to get rid of him.

Until they start scheduling games for 8:00 AM, I'm not real concerned about this.

Hey, we're leading our division going down the stretch. Whatever they need to do to get everyone on board is fine with me.

And for all you guys that like to use averages as indicators, we have 108 net point advantage, one of the best in football.:D

If you can't see how those are two different circumstances then I can't help you.

Cassel missed some practice time because of a death in the family. Seymour missed some practice time because of a death in the family. How are these two events not similar? The only thing difference is that Bill started Cassel but sat Seymour for a quarter and a half.

Cassel missed some practice time because of a death in the family. Seymour missed some practice time because of a death in the family. How are these two events not similar? The only thing difference is that Bill started Cassel but sat Seymour for a quarter and a half.

Wrong. Seymour took more time off than was previously agreed upon, without permission. That is why BB sat him.

Anyone see TO's dig at these guys on twitter this morning?

@terrellowens said:
This is wht I woke up 2! The Lake Effect is effect!
x2_5e0519

@terrellowens said:
And I made it 2 my 8am mtg this am!! Lol!

Wrong. Seymour took more time off than was previously agreed upon, without permission. That is why BB sat him.

He took Thursday off. Cassel also missed Thursday. Why the different set of rules? Why give permission to Cassel to take an extra day off that Seymour got reprimanded for? You don't see an issue with this?

He took Thursday off. Cassel also missed Thursday. Why the different set of rules? Why give permission to Cassel to take an extra day off that Seymour got reprimanded for? You don't see an issue with this?

You're missing the point. One took extra time without permission, the other didn't. Maybe Cassel made a point to ask for that extra day because of the Seymour incident. Who knows? Seymour violated the rules. He was punished. What's wrong with that?

Cassel's case didn't even factor in at the time. By trying to fuse the two together, you're muddying the issue.

Anecdote: We had a death in the family a few years ago. My wife and my sister-in-law worked at the same place and we all went to the funeral. Now, we didn't know what my sister-in-law had worked out, so we didn't bat an eye when they stayed in town an extra three days. It turns out that she didn't actually ask for the extra time, so she was in pretty deep when she got back. Was their boss wrong for reprimanding her?

You're missing the point. One took extra time without permission, the other didn't. Maybe Cassel made a point to ask for that extra day because of the Seymour incident. Who knows? Seymour violated the rules. He was punished. What's wrong with that?

Cassel's case didn't even factor in at the time. By trying to fuse the two together, you're muddying the issue.

Anecdote: We had a death in the family a few years ago. My wife and my sister-in-law worked at the same place and we all went to the funeral. Now, we didn't know what my sister-in-law had worked out, so we didn't bat an eye when they stayed in town an extra three days. It turns out that she didn't actually ask for the extra time, so she was in pretty deep when she got back. Was their boss wrong for reprimanding her?

What makes you think Seymour didn't didn't ask for the Thursday off? We can make assumptions that we're never going to prove, but the fact of the matter is that both Cassel and Seymour had a family member pass away, they both missed Thursday practice (Cassel might have missed Friday too[?]), but ultimately, Cassel started while Seymour got benched.

The point of my argument is that Bill has showed that he sometimes can be unreasonable and you guys' argument is that rules are rules. So if rules are rules, why the difference in the Cassel and Seymour treatment?

Fair enough.

You still have not answered why the Pats extended Seymour in 2006 and why it took them 5 years after the funeral to get rid of him.

Because of his talent and age and their desire to retain him short term while they continued to evaluate his long term value and reshape his mentality. And because the alternative was likely an ugly one. I said so at the time. They tried in the aftermath of the holdout to reel him back in. Just never worked. They lined him up to throw out the first pitch at Fenway solo in 2005, he refused, then they paired him with Tedy and he agreed. They were hoping to show him what it means to be an icon in this town. He didn't really care. Kraft took him on the Israel pilgrimidge in 2006, as he had Tommy before him. He enjoyed the scenery but the message again fell on deaf ears.

Lawyer raised him from a pup here and the damage was career long. Winning's great but get yours. Scheme, shmeme. Talent matters. It's a business. He reportedly started looking for his after 2003. His teamates were watching, including Branch, Givens, Samuel.

They rolled the dice because Bill believed that he was a football matters guy and a force when healthy. Just turns out it didn't matter enough. And he wasn't ever totally healthy (for which he also developed a grudge) and he was one of those guys who can't find a way to play at a consistently high level when hurt (unlike his QB). In hindsight they probably should have traded him entering 2006 rather than extending him. I would have done it in foresight but onnly because my read on him from the holdout on was he wasn't going to change. He was just never all in and while he was publicly quiet in comparison to some stars, there was always that understated edge of self importance in Richard's comments that wasn't lost on everyone.

As I said before Pioli used to talk about what it meant and took to be a leader here, and they were simply never going to extend themselves for guys who were not similarly willing to make some sacrifices, on and off the field, to be part of the core of what they were building here. That's the underlying philosophy of the system. His deal was unique when it happened for a reason. A compromise of sorts that gave him what he wanted short term and gave them something they could live with while pondering if he was worth investing in long term or a better alternative would present itself. Had they felt he was an additional extension would have been worked out. Wasn't gonna happen. And while he was not a guy they would have simply walked away from as they did with Milloy (who was far more vocal and assertive in the locker room and far less productive on the field at a time when they were clearly restrained by the cap), he did not represent sufficient value to them in his final season here when someone was offering a 1st for him and they needed to retain the tag for Wilfork. I know that gauls the win now crowd, but after 40 odd years of mediocrity this organization is committed to competing to win indefinitely.

And the fact is given his performance over the last 4 years there is no way to gauge whether he would have made a difference on the field this season. He didn't in 2005 or 2006, they didn't need him to for most of 2007, which was fortunate considering he wasn't available, and he didn't make the plays to save them in the one game when they needed him to and he was available. In 2008 he had a good statistical season but absent Brady that wasn't nearly enough. This season given the transition and new faces and one continuing disappointment I'm not sure he would be helping on the field anymore than hindering off it absent an extension. He didn't have to deal with loss often here and when he did he didn't always deal with it well. He tended to be an unaccountable, win with talent, lose with coaching kind of guy. Ron persued and built an enduring relationship with him entirely on that basis.;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes