PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Sports Illustrated--Tyree play

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes. An easy interception for you or anyone else off the street...probably not, but for a so-called "franchise" player that wants to be paid as the best in the league, that was an easy interception.

Precisely my thinking.

.... the one thing that I thought was the most compelling in reviewing the play, that being, was Eli in the grasp? If you're going to talk to the back judge, why not talk to Mike Carey?

Note--I'm not saying the Pats lost this game because of poor officiating.

Protecting the QB is a key duty most of the time.

But when the game is on the line ...
not just any game, not just any Super Bowl ...
do you prefer the players to decide it ... or the zebes?

The other issue is that if Asante had hustled and got to Tyree as he was doing his juggling act and come in with a flying hit, no way Tyree would have held onto the ball.

But instead Asante just watched.

If anyone can't bear to think about that catch then don't dare look at the SI cover.

Did they say anything about Ass-ante's inexplicable drop of an easy interception that would have won the game before Tyree would ever get a chance? ?? Two strikes against him, strike three being that it was an extremely half-hearted attempt at making that pick and he seemed to take an "it's-all-good" attitude afterword.

As I said before, he'd already earned his huge FA contract long before that game. For him, nothing really to be gained by HIS TEAM WINNING THE MOST MEANINGFUL GAME IN THE HISTORY OF THE NFL at that point. If it would have happenend, just gravy on top for him personally. Newsflash, the Pats have no use for selfish players.

He's a good player and was a good Patriot for several seasons. That being said, good riddance. f

sorry. i'm as much a homer as anyone, but that was not an "easy interception" by any measure. he barely had time to get his hands up and the ball sailed through before he could close them. it would have been a great pick, had he made it. that said, as BB says every five minutes or so, games are won by teams that are able to make a play when it counts. Manning and Tyree made a play against the odds and Asante didn't, but that still would have been one tough INT.

Dude, the ball went right through his hands.
He just whiffed. It really was not that difficult a catch to make....

I am NOT an Asante apologist. I don't like the guy. But, the ball might have gone "right through his hands," but he barely had time to get them up. Could he have made the pick? Probably, but it would have been a tough one...

Why are we still arguing about this? Training Camp has started. Tyree won't even make the Giants roster this year. Time to move on...

As I like many of you, have no stomach to watch the game again; I have trouble recollecting the specifics of the INT that wasn't.

But I thought it was near the sidelines and he would have had to watch his feet as well as catch the ball. that alone makes it not so easy (if memory serves correct).

I too remember on the tyree catch seeing Asante and expecting him to fly into the pile and blow the ball loose. So while I give him the missed int; I would fault him for lack of effort on the play. For being out of posiition or giving up when he thought Eli went in the grasp, or the DB internal clock just expired (thinking a normal play can't last that long), or he was just blown frombeing on the field too long. Any of those reasons are just poor excuses.

As for the 'in the grasp' non-call; I understand why the ref didnt want to intervene to let things be settled by players; but at a certain point as surrounded as he was the OL have to be doing illegal holds to free him up... and those didn't get called either. But all talking about refs just goes down the road of whining so I don't want to talk about what refs didn't or should have done.

As far as "get over it" comments from somebody. Hey, it was a game our players played in and if we want to discuss the techniques or efforts of our team's players (or former players). Or discuss their lack of effort.... that is legitimate non-whining comment.

As I said I think blaming refs for the loss is whining. Talking about Asante faults or anyone elses is just analysis. You can't make the whole game off limits to analysis just cause we lost.

Yes. An easy interception for you or anyone else off the street...probably not, but for a so-called "franchise" player that wants to be paid as the best in the league, that was an easy interception.

I respectfully disagree. If you look at the tape, he barely had time to get his hands up. It wasn't "easy" for him or anyone. Could he have made it? Yeah, probably. Would it have been an example of what BB means when he says that games are won by teams that can make a play at the end? For sure, but a lot of other very good players didn't make plays that day. TB had the ball in his hands with 90 seconds to go... He had no Time Outs left. Could he have taken them down the field to win or tie? Could he have connected on a bomb with Randy? Yes and Yes. Would it have been "easy?" No way. Would you then conclude that a "QB that wants to be compared to Joe Montana should have won that game?" No. It's unfair and wrong, just as it's unfair and wrong to say that that was an easy Pick.

Isn't another season starting in a few weeks? Why are we still arguing about this? Who started this Goddarn thread anyway?

I respectfully disagree. If you look at the tape, he barely had time to get his hands up. It wasn't "easy" for him or anyone. Could he have made it? Yeah, probably. Would it have been an example of what BB means when he says that games are won by teams that can make a play at the end? For sure, but a lot of other very good players didn't make plays that day. TB had the ball in his hands with 90 seconds to go... He had no Time Outs left. Could he have taken them down the field to win or tie? Could he have connected on a bomb with Randy? Yes and Yes. Would it have been "easy?" No way. Would you then conclude that a "QB that wants to be compared to Joe Montana should have won that game?" No. It's unfair and wrong, just as it's unfair and wrong to say that that was an easy Pick.

Isn't another season starting in a few weeks? Why are we still arguing about this? Who started this Goddarn thread anyway?

Sports Illustrated.....

But yes I would agree...5 weeks before the regular season....Lets get back to this season and the winning we all plan to see...

Two points to my post here.....

#2 - I never really loved Samuel but after watching the SB twice during the offseason,I can positively say that IMO the throw from Eli that Asante did not intercept was NOT as easy as some of you say,
If you watch the play the ball was a bit high and not like it was in the numbers for him and it appeared as if it might have had a good zip on it as well,
Was it an opportunity for an INT with a perfect jump and catch? - Yes,it was certainly possible -
Was it an easy catch? - NO.

Without commenting on your #1, I completely agree. That's how I saw it at the time and that's how I see it now.

Did they say anything about Ass-ante's inexplicable drop of an easy interception that would have won the game before Tyree would ever get a chance? ?? Two strikes against him, strike three being that it was an extremely half-hearted attempt at making that pick and he seemed to take an "it's-all-good" attitude afterword.

As I said before, he'd already earned his huge FA contract long before that game. For him, nothing really to be gained by HIS TEAM WINNING THE MOST MEANINGFUL GAME IN THE HISTORY OF THE NFL at that point. If it would have happenend, just gravy on top for him personally. Newsflash, the Pats have no use for selfish players.

He's a good player and was a good Patriot for several seasons. That being said, good riddance. f

Asante was great player and saved the Pats a whole lot of $$$ at his position. No need to throw him under the bus.

Easy int,well,more on the easy side then on the hard side.I seen this same guy(asante) make a hell of a lot more difficult pics,and his little giggle after that really left a sour taste in my mouth. Still though,a great player,and will be hard to fill his shoes.

I.m all for moving on and looking forward to this year, who isn't? and yes it was a team loss, and yes i'm pissed Asante thought he'd cash in and move on to greener pastures. Still,

I haven't seen that play again. But it seemed like a catchable ball, even for me. He's Asante friggin Samuel, he should have caught it. But sh*t happens and that wasn't the only reason i was trashing him. You don't pick that moment to give less than 100% effort. Plus,IMO AS appeared not to give a ratsass who he was playing for last year. Just wanted to get his stats and his big payoff. Couple that with the muffed int., apparently giving up on The Catch, and you have at least three strikes. Obviously the Pats didn't exactly cry when he took his act to Philly.

that didnt happen

The other issue is that if Asante had hustled and got to Tyree as he was doing his juggling act and come in with a flying hit, no way Tyree would have held onto the ball.

But instead Asante just watched.

http://philadelphia.comcastsportsnet.com/view_content_1p.asp?ID=68063
Samuel even discussed the Eli Manning-to-David Tyree miracle in the Super Bowl. According to a recent Sports Illustrated story, his former teammates have “privately griped” that Samuel should have hit Tyree instead of watching.

Samuel was jogging toward Tyree and was a few yards away as the ball arrived and safety Rodney Harrison tried to jar it loose.

“Whoever said it, I’m pretty sure they had a couple messed up plays that had an effect on the game,” Samuel said. “It is what it is. He made a hell of play, definitely. It’s going to go down in history as one of the best plays in the Super Bowl. Still to this day, I don’t know how he held on to that with his head.”

072508-asante_lito_sheldon1.jpg

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots WR Javon Baker Conference Call
TRANSCRIPT: Layden Robinson Conference Call
MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
Back