PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Steve Belichick Accepts DC Job at U of Washington

Why? There was 0 chance any team would consider him for a DC. He is an unknown quantity. Don't care how you want to characterize his time here or the merit of it but no team was going to risk it when his entire resume has been working for his father.

Nobody could trust that for such an important role. Add to it that he got passed over twice by his own team and it is not at all surprising.
I was gonna full on disagree with you about 0 chance, but you really do make a good point about Dear ol' Dad. There's precedence with Buddy Ryan as GM/HC of the Cards with Rex as DL/LB coach, and when Buddy left, Rex (similarly in mid 30's) became DC of UCincy. Took him 10 years to become a DC of an NFL team and another 4 to become a HC. Might be different now with a lot of teams taking risks on young hotshots, but Steve's gotta deal with the Scarlet B.

The level of nepotism in the NFL is unlike anything I have ever seen. I don't think it's anything like this in other sports right?

Really surprised the owners don't put a stop to it.

I wonder if Steve's experience in college might give him an edge over his father in the player development and scouting department. That unique resume of starting off in the NFL relatively young and learning with pros, then going to college to learn how to work with younger players could be a great opportunity (should he make the most of it.)

I wonder if Steve's experience in college might give him an edge over his father in the player development and scouting department. That unique resume of starting off in the NFL relatively young and learning with pros, then going to college to learn how to work with younger players could be a great opportunity (should he make the most of it.)
He's going to have to perform first, following the Huskies 2nd place finish. That's a lot of pressure but I have no idea how the Pac-12 teams are set up for 2024.

He's going to have to perform first, following the Huskies 2nd place finish. That's a lot of pressure but I have no idea how the Pac-12 teams are set up for 2024.
And the Huskies have lost a ton of talent between graduation/NFL draft and the transfer portal. It will be very difficult for them to repeat last year's success.

The level of nepotism in the NFL is unlike anything I have ever seen. I don't think it's anything like this in other sports right?

have you ever worked almost anywhere???
there is a LOT of who is related to whom in workplaces.

have you ever worked almost anywhere???
there is a LOT of who is related to whom in workplaces.
I get but it's a fraction of the NFL. I would not at all be shocked if more than 50% of it is through nepotism.

OMFG. Lol

Bill going back to school for remedial training on relating to young players. Fluffing that part of his resume for next year’s coaching carousel. Maybe Steve can tutor his dad a little to build his cred.

Nepotism pays off.

I hope that's a joke. It would be great to see Steve work fully without BB's influence for once.
It's not. Fisch mentioned it in his presser.

Bill going back to school for remedial training on relating to young players. Fluffing that part of his resume for next year’s coaching carousel. Maybe Steve can tutor his dad a little to build his cred.
So much for Stephen stepping out of his Dad's shadow. Embarrassing.

So much for Stephen stepping out of his Dad's shadow. Embarrassing.
Dad clinging to his son’s coattails. Not a good look.

At one point it felt like every team in the NHL had a Sutter…

Dad clinging to his son’s coattails. Not a good look.

Nah. Fisch coached with the Patriots under BB so there's a prior relationship. Pete Carroll's son is the Huskies' offensive coordinator and Pete is expected to be hanging around the team too. It all seems very informal re. their involvement.

No, it’s not unique. Adam Bellow, the son of the great novelist Saul, has an interesting book on the topic that is engaging reading.

At my workplace, a Fortune 50 company, I see nepotism and DEI hiring with surprising frequency.

2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
Back