PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Taking RT Wallace mean Onwenu moves back to RG?

I think Wallace can play LT. Besides, I would prefer to move Onwenu back to RG. He's a good RT, but he's an excellent RG.

In '25 Wallace looks at best as a swing T. In '26 when we are done with Strange, he might end up at swing T back-up RG with Sow at LG. I think Mafi is out.

Pats have to probably trade for an aging LT to cover the fort in '24. Next draft we can prioritize LT

Owenu got T money, so he'll stay there. Also, Sow is the RG. Wallace will be competing at LT.

Owenu got T money, so he'll stay there. Also, Sow is the RG. Wallace will be competing at LT.
Sow was a LG in college. I never said Owenu was leaving RT. Wallace might compete at LT, but he's not starting this year. Both OL's drafted in this draft might end up at G, in particular if Pats draft a stud LT next year.

All the true starting left tackles were gone.

Wallace has some promise at potentially filling that spot , we will see.

At worst, he becomes our best RT incase Onwenu goes down. I'm sick of our online being one tackle injury away from completely falling apart as a unit. We needed to rebuild the pipelines, bring in some depth and versatility.

I don't know if this is a good thing (as in position flexibility and depth) or a bad thing (as in we just don't have answers yet to what was a bad position group last year). But how many different combinations of players do you actually think is realistic for our starting 5 next year?

Okorafor LT
Strange LG
D Andrews C
Sow RG
Onwenwu RT

This might be the most likely right now but is Strange healthy? Can Wallace win a starting spot at either RT or LT right away? If he does do you move Onwenwu back inside? Is Sow better than Strange? What about Anderson, Mafi, Leverett or Robinson?

If we had Scar I'd feel like this is enough to work with so hopefully Scott Peters can be much better than Klemm.

Be real, He's not a left tackle.
My question is whether he can be our swing OT in 2025. If not, he will be relegated to being a backup RT.

In '25 Wallace looks at best as a swing T. In '26 when we are done with Strange, he might end up at swing T back-up RG with Sow at LG. I think Mafi is out.

Pats have to probably trade for an aging LT to cover the fort in '24. Next draft we can prioritize LT
I don't expect us to sign a veteran to start at LT in 2024. Okorafor is that veteran. Anderson and Wallace would be expected to be backups, although I suppose McDermott or Wheatley or Lowe or Steuber could take one of the backup spots if Anderson isn't able to come back.

Last edited:
Grade Analysis
Sizable framed OT with lumbering feet. Average-at-best athlete. Plays with good calmness and accuracy at second level and has quality power but overall athletic profile was severely threatened often in college. A concern for his NFL future. New England did need to add some OL depth. Worried about his upside. (Chris Trapasso)
Rating: 76.34 (Part-time player)
Pro Comparison: Vederian Lowe
When I want to cherry-pick a negative analysis, it is always desirable to pick an “expert” whom nobody has heard of. It is a bonus if he is a cold plunge enthusiast snd has impeccable sources like this one:

Wolf:

“Really, his teammate Olu Fashanu that the Jets drafted (in the first round) was the reason that he played on the right. So athletically there’s no reason why he couldn’t make the switch over there. He’s a really smart, dedicated kid that we feel like can handle that,” Wolf said. “Really good pass protector, really took a huge step forward this year as a four-year starter. Athletic, can bend, strong, powerful, tough. He could possibly play guard. We think he could be a four-position guy, but definitely feel like he can play on the left side.”

Be real, He's not a left tackle.

How did the Sidy Sow red shirt year, position change work out? Shouldn't he be our tackle this year?

Sow was never a tackle, but this move might actually work.

How did the Sidy Sow red shirt year, position change work out? Shouldn't he be our tackle this year?

Sow was never a tackle, but this move might actually work.
Sow... Pressed into service last year because of the two complete misses in free agency... Got some great experience last year... Depth is a good problem to have in this regard

I hope this move works out... I hope Wallace can make a transition from right to left... If he can, it's an absolute third round steal... Just consider me slightly skeptical until camp gets here, at the very least...

Sow... Pressed into service last year because of the two complete misses in free agency... Got some great experience last year... Depth is a good problem to have in this regard

I think this was another swing and miss by the former brain trust along with many others from last year's camp.

They had all camp to acclimate Sow to guard at the professional level, which is the position he started for most of the season and will his entire career, but instead wasted the opportunity to practice in a position he will take few, if any snaps, because he doesn't have the balance for it.

Not that Sow had a bad season at guard, but he went in cold.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/8: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 5/7: News and Notes
What Did Tom Brady Say During His Netflix Roast?  Here’s the Full Transcript
What Did Drew Bledsoe Say at Tom Brady’s Netflix Roast? Here’s the Full Transcript
What Did Belichick Say at Tom Brady’s Netflix Roast?  Here’s the Full Transcript
Monday Patriots Notebook 5/6: News and Notes
Tom Brady Sustains, Dishes Some Big Hits on Netflix Roast Special
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Back