PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Tampering charges filed for Woody Johnson and the Jets

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't think the timing is coincidental at all. I think the league (Read Goodell) probably wanted to make it go away and wasn't going to take action so the Pats filed a formal complaint and let Schefter know on the second biggest TV day of the NFL year....so it will get plenty of airtime....
As for punishment, the precedent is a fine and swapping of draft picks. If the league lets the Jets off with a fine only,(remember he is a repeat offender and was warned before) the next time an owner says anything, he can go back and cite this as a financial punishment only (drop in the bucket to most of these guys)when the damage is already done.

Whens the last time the Jets picked 32nd in a round? :D

Thanks to the poster who researched and provided the definition of "tampering." No doubt, this qualifies.

I think the things that must be considered in assessing a penalty include the quality/marketability of Revis himself, the Jets' history with Revis, the widespread opinion that the Jets erred in not bringing him back this season (when he said he wanted to return) and the fact that they just fired the guy who wouldn't try to/did not bring him back (whether or not he was acting on Woody "Is the ball stuffed with feathers?" Johnson's instructions is irrelevant). All of those are circumstances that exacerbate the matter.

As a Pats fan, I think the right penalty would be to force them to swap their #1 pick with us this year plus surrender a late round pick.

Realistically, I think the best we can expect in a fair resolution would be their second round pick, which wouldn't be too shabby.

Anything else would be unfair and further proof of former Jets' employee Goodell's bias towards that team.

Swap of firsts would be incredible.
I highly doubt it but wow could you imagine another edge rusher or a game breaking wide out.
Knowing Belichick we would probably draft a guard and everyone would revolt then the guard would become top 3 at his position and become a hall of famer. :D

Swap of firsts would be incredible.
I highly doubt it but wow could you imagine another edge rusher or a game breaking wide out.
Knowing Belichick we would probably draft a guard and everyone would revolt then the guard would become top 3 at his position and become a hall of famer. :D
If we got the jets 6th pick in first round, i expect bb to trade down for more picks.

How are the two related? If Revis returns to the Jets it won't be because of Woody's midseason comment.

It absolutely has a bearing on it. What if it was learned later on that the Pats and Revis had verbally agreed on a deal/restructuring and Revis cooled or upped his demands b/c he knew that Woody wants him. Revis now has confirmed interest from potential suitors- especially a team that figures in 2015 to be around $70-$ 75m UNDER THE CAP. Because of what Woody said, any advantage the Pats had in negotiating with Revis exclusively is gone.

If we lose Revis that is entirely on the New England Patriots.

You will never be able to prove that. Negotiations are a two-way street.

And no, there shouldn't be any mercy, but your fines are pretty ridiculous, not that I wouldn't love to see them enforced.

Of course they are ridiculous. $1m in fines and loss of a 1st round pick for taping the opposing team and BB not giving Goody's letter it's due attention is just as ridiculous. With that said, in order to make it clearly understood to the league and Jets how damaging the Patriots feel Woody's comments were, the amount of remuneration the Patriots request needs to reflect those sentiments.

Last edited:
If we got the jets 6th pick in first round, i expect bb to trade down for more picks.
In a team as deep as the Pats? If there was a player he liked there, I could see him picking a DT, OT or DE in that slot.

Watching ESPN and Adam Shefter just said that the NFL is investigating it. I wonder what the punishment would be?

The punishment should be 24 million and the PATS get Revis. :)

Of course they are ridiculous. $1m in fines and loss of a 1st round pick for taping the opposing team and BB not giving Goody's letter it's due attention is just as ridiculous. With that said, in order to make it clearly understood to the league and Jets how damaging the Patriots feel Woody's comments were, the amount of remuneration the Patriots request needs to reflect those sentiments.

There is already a set precedent for tampering.

http://sfo.scout.com/story/740323-nfl-hits-niners-hard-with-tampering-penalty
There was something to respond to Monday when the 49ers were forced to relinquish their fifth-rounder as a penalty - one of their scheduled seven selections in the April 26-27 draft. They also must give Chicago their third-round draft choice - the seventh overall in that round - and in return will take Chicago's third-rounder, five slots lower at the 12th overall position in the round.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/02/18/league-finds-lions-guilty-of-tampering/
Jason La Canfora of NFL Network reports that the league has nailed the Lions for tampering with Chiefs players. The Lions will lose a seventh-round pick acquired from the Broncos in 2011, and the Chiefs and Lions will swap fifth-round picks.

It’s a 14-spot jump for the Chiefs in round five, from 23rd position to ninth.

As far as I remember, there was no precedent for the Spygate punishment allowing Goodell to make it up as he went.

I'm guessing nothing comes of this. Maybe a finding of impropriety and a "don't do this again".

I think it is ridiculous - as I think the jets should be punished - but I just don't see the punishment being anything significant.

But Woody was already warned after the Jets tampered with Desean Jackson. I'm hoping Goodell, even though he's seen as a Jets lackey, gets a little indignant because his warning was ignored and wants to make a show of his "independence"and really slaps the Jets hard.

Either way, I would be surprised if we see any punishment before the 2015 draft. Even though it was very blatant and public, in the past, tampering cases have taken longer than a year to be resolved.

So you would be satisfied if Revis went to the Jets and we receive a 7th round pick?

Let's start with a $500k fine, $10m debit vs the Jets cap so they can't sign Revis and the Patriots receiving the Jets #1 draft pick while still keeping ours.

That wont happen but tampering is tampering and the Jets are a division rival.

No mercy for the stupid.

And this isn't just ANY team. This is the team that turned the Pats in for Spygate, for which the Pats were unduly harshly punished.

Maybe this is an opportunity for Goodell to right the wrong he imposed on the Pats before, if that is the case then I think a swap of 2nd round picks would be entirely appropriate.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/02/18/league-finds-lions-guilty-of-tampering/

I am aware of these circumstances. This time around they are much more severe.

The tampering statements were made by an owner who admitted he tampered. They were also made about a specific player- who is coming off an all-pro season that played for the owner of his former team that is under contract.

As far as I remember, there was no precedent for the Spygate punishment allowing Goodell to make it up as he went.

Exactly. That demonstrates the randomness of how punishment is exacted by the the current administration in which past precedents are irrelevant in the first place.

And this isn't just ANY team. This is the team that turned the Pats in for Spygate, for which the Pats were unduly harshly punished.

Maybe this is an opportunity for Goodell to right the wrong he imposed on the Pats before, if that is the case then I think a swap of 2nd round picks would be entirely appropriate.

Its not so much that its the plaintiff of the "Spygate" issue that warrants the eye of an eye response. Its for reasons that I stated in previous posts.

I do, however firmly believe that Woody could have asked Goody to let it go and not be so severe on the Pats and he chose not to. Maybe Bob feels the same way and following though on the grievance is appropriate recourse.

I am aware of these circumstances. This time around they are much more severe.

The tampering statements were made by an owner who admitted he tampered. They were also made about a specific player- who is coming off an all-pro season that played for the owner of his former team that is under contract.

Exactly. That demonstrates the randomness of how punishment is exacted by the the current administration in which past precedents are irrelevant in the first place.

“If I thought I could have gotten Darrelle for [what New England paid] I probably would have taken him,” Johnson said. “I’d love for him to come back.”

This is "much more severe" than a situation of the 49ers being in contact with Lance Briggs' agent after stating he won't be returning to Chicago during the season?

It's pretty much on par with the Lions DC at the time stating:

“[Kansas City] keeps wanting to dump their players,” Cunningham said in February 2010. “I would like to be there to catch a lot of them, because I know a couple of those guys.”

Can to commish mandate the jets to stay out of the revis sweepstakes. That would be awesome too.

In a team as deep as the Pats? If there was a player he liked there, I could see him picking a DT, OT or DE in that slot.

WR Amari Cooper would be un-bleeping-real with Brady throwing to him! Megatron good. Shades of Brady-to-Moss. :D

Here is a post I made in the original thread about Woody Johnson tampering. As these links suggest, this is hardly the first time the Rats have been suspected of tampering.

The precedent we have seen under this Omissioner though, is that if you are not a strong team your punishment will be minimal.

Here is a blast from the past that many of you may have forgotten about...

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=4491142

'SANTA CLARA, Calif. -- The 49ers have filed tampering charges against the New York Jets regarding top San Francisco draft pick Michael Crabtree, Jets coach Rex Ryan confirmed Monday.

"My understanding is they filed charges with the league," Ryan said. "I'm saying my response is it's not true. I mean, it's not accurate. It's not true, but, hey, we'll let the league figure this out."'

'What helped draw the 49ers' attention to the issue was when Deion Sanders said he knew two teams that were willing to pay Crabtree what he wanted. The 49ers organization grew alarmed at the comments, investigated and decided to report its concerns to the league.

Among the organization's biggest concerns would be that, if indeed another team had told Crabtree it would meet his asking price, it would greatly impede the 49ers' chances of signing their first-round pick. San Francisco was alarmed that another team -- perhaps the Jets -- had inflated Crabtree's expectations and compromised its chances of signing him. It is why San Francisco filed the tampering charges.'

The date on this article is September 21, 2009.

Interesting that just a few days later on October 8, 2009 the Rats acquire Braylon Edwards from their ex-HC Eric Mangini.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=4538498

Not sayin', just sayin'.

I find this very surprising given Bob Kraft's meek unwillingness to "rock the boat" with anything that might put the league or any aspect of it, in a bad light.

I'd like a swap of 4th or 5ths. And for anyone clamoring for their 1st, please just stop. Its like saying Mallett would bring us a 1st or 2nd in a trade.

NFL Anti-Tampering Policy

NFL Players:

No club, nor any person employed by or otherwise affiliated with a club, is permitted to tamper with a player who is under contract to or whose exclusive negotiating rights are held by another club.

ƒPublic/Private Statements:

Any public or private statement of interest, qualified or unqualified, in another club’s player to that player’s agent or representative, or to a member of the news media, is a violation of this Anti-Tampering Policy. (Example of a prohibited comment: “He’s an excellent player, and we’d very much like to have
him if he were available, but another club holds his rights.”)

Discipline:

Any violation of this Anti-Tampering Policy will subject the invoved club and/or person to severe disciplinary action by the Commissioner.

Attachments

• 2009 NFL Anti-Tampering Policy.pdf
    76.9 KB · Views: 2
This is "much more severe" than a situation of the 49ers being in contact with Lance Briggs' agent after stating he won't be returning to Chicago during the season?

Yes for the reasons I stated previously and below. I'd also suggest that because the 49ers contacted Rosenhaus, that weakened the Bears negotiating leverage as the market for Briggs was made clearer which ultimately help shape the 6/36m deal w/ $4m signing and $13m in guarantees.

With Revis we are talking A LOT more money. Stakes are higher here. Thus the compensation should go up.

It's pretty much on par with the Lions DC at the time stating:

I don't think so. In that instance you had a DC never mentioning names.

Here you have an owner mentioning a former player under contract...Very different.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST