PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

The 2012 Combine Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: * The 2012 Combine Drills!! *

All very good points my Aussie friend. however...

You say Fleener is not one of the top 48 players in the draft. OK, I can see that. Now subtract all the players for which we have no need whatsoever - Ryan Tannehill, Brandon Weeden etc. Now subtract those players which do not fit the Patriot yardstick for size etc. Now subtract or demote those players which have serious red flags. can you say hand on heart that those subtractions don't amount to at least seventeen. I could come up with seventeen players that I don't think fit the Patriots in a heartbeat that might generically be ranked ahead of Fleener.

I agree with you on the value side of things to a degree but look who Fleener might be clumped together with at 31. Brandon Thompson, Lamar Miller, Zach Brown (sorry about that), Vontaze Burfict (shudder), Dont'a Hightower (sniff). All these are players that probably have less value to the Patriots than Fleener.

the intellectual exercise of this discussion is fun, but my only point is that it is foolish to absolutely dismiss the idea when BB drafts so unpredictably in the limited minds of us mere mortals.

In theory that is all true, but in practicality the chances of it actually happening are very slim. While there could easily be 15-20 guys rated higher than Fleener that aren't options to the Pats because of need or fit, they are options for other teams. For this scenario to play out we would need all the other teams to pass on the players that don't fit us, and take all the guys that do fit our system. The more QB's, RB's and ILB's that get selected ahead of the Pats the better chance one of the, lets say hypothetically 25 guys rated ahead of Fleener that fit, fall to the Pats. Then you need to say, even IF, all of the players that do fit the Pats system are gone at 31, there is also nobody willing at all to trade with us.

One thing I think we know about BB, is that if he doesn't think a player is worthy of selection at a specific point, he won't take them. He would rather trade back giving a discount, rather than reach for a player he doesn't value at that stage. Lets say hypothetically he rates Fleener as the 45th best player in the draft, he will not select him at 31, no matter who is available. He might trade down into the 40's for a big discount to take him, but he won't reach.

In the end I don't think it will really matter, because I think Fleener offers more value to just about every other team in the NFL than the Pats because we have our guys, other teams need to compete to get theirs. For this reason I think Fleener could easily go higher than 31, even though I personally think Dwayne Allen is the better TE (despite his poor 40 time at the combine yesterday).

Looking through the WR stats, I see two guys liked around here did pretty well yesterday - Ryan Broyles posted 21 reps on the bench (joint second highest of the receivers), and Chris Givens posted a respectable 19. Both are less than six feet tall too.

Who would have thought that Ryan Broyles would post a higher bench press than Mike Adams. While it has no impact on his ability to play WR, what I think it does show is that he is a hard worker, and he has really put in the effort in the weight room. I really like this kid and hope he does well (hopefully in New England).

RG3 about to run his 40.....

RG3 clocks a 4.41 on his first attempt.....

RGIII is a freak, unofficial 4.41 40 time

And there goes the most abused player on madden 13..

Damn 4.38, he's a sub 4.4 QB.

Last edited:

I can't wait to see Joe Adams and Chris Rainey run today. Those guys are gonna fly.

Holy sh*t, his second time was 4.38! And he went to the right on both occasions.

I can't wait to see Joe Adams and Chris Rainey run today. Those guys are gonna fly.

I think Devon Wylie has a chance to go under 4.30.....

Alright, Stephen Hill and Joe Adams are in this group, two of my favorite WRs, lets go.

I think Devon Wylie has a chance to go under 4.30.....

I wish Jeff Demps had of gone to the combine because I would have loved to of seen the competition between all these guys. I'm also looking forward to seeing what Jeff Fuller runs because I think that is going to be a train wreck. I could easily see 4.7's or higher.

Here goes my boy Joe Adams. Go on kidda. Post that 4:35 I think you're capable of.

I wish Jeff Demps had of gone to the combine because I would have loved to of seen the competition between all these guys. I'm also looking forward to seeing what Jeff Fuller runs because I think that is going to be a train wreck. I could easily see 4.7's or higher.

Demps could have broken the Combine record had he decided on football rather than track.

Chad Jackson... :bricks:

Eh 4.53 for Joe Adams..

Last edited:

Wow, JA posts a 4.53. Come on kid!

Chad Jackson... :bricks:

Eh 4.53 for Joe Adams..

Combine star, had a good career with the Gators - and we couldn't get him to understand what he needed to do. Real shame.

I'm not too worried about that time by Adams. I think he will greatly improve it on his 2nd attempt.

I'm not too worried about that time by Adams. I think he will greatly improve it on his 2nd attempt.

He's much quicker on the field in cleats. I think a great Combine could give him a shot at a high second round pick though.

He's much quicker on the field in cleats. I think a great Combine could give him a shot at a high second round pick though.

I think it was just a bad run. He definitely isn't a 4.5 guy. And like you said, he's much faster on the field, and football speed is all that matters.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents