Very sad news: RIP Joker
Replies:
2023/2024 Patriots Roster Transaction Thread
Replies:
Asking for your support

Should Pats trade for Calvin Ridley?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
He’s a really good player but it’s impossible to know whether or not to go after him without knowing if he wants to come here, how much he will want with a new contract, or where his head is at overall.

Absolutely.

...but not at $11m. A restructure would be mandatory.

$4m base and if he hits 17 games 80 catches 1000yds 5TDs he gets the $11m

Absolutely.

...but not at $11m. A restructure would be mandatory.

$4m base and if he hits 17 games 80 catches 1000yds 5TDs he gets the $11m
If I understood the article right the 11m hit is in the 2023-4 season. His 2021 contract tolls to 22. So he is cheap next year.

It must be a heavily incentive-based restructure deal, with team opt-outs for behavioral issues.

Which... probably rules NE out, as others would take the risk

This article: "Matthew Chambers of The Falcoholic did an excellent job of breaking down what the Falcons can do with Ridley's contract. ... because he was placed on the non-injury list for 2021, the Falcons can roll over his fourth-year which was $1.97 million."

Matthew Chambers of The Falcoholic: "his contract won’t toll"

If I understood the article right the 11m hit is in the 2023-4 season. His 2021 contract tolls to 22. So he is cheap next year.
Yea I'm second-guessing myself as its little unclear to me since he didn't vest last year.

I'm in the process of reading this. So it looks like a 2y/$13m for Ridley?

This article: "Matthew Chambers of The Falcoholic did an excellent job of breaking down what the Falcons can do with Ridley's contract. ... because he was placed on the non-injury list for 2021, the Falcons can roll over his fourth-year which was $1.97 million."

Matthew Chambers of The Falcoholic: "his contract won’t toll"
I guess I’m unsure what the word toll means for contract. I might have stated backwards, but meant ‘he is cheap in 22’!

He’s a damn good player and would obviously fill a big need, but can we trust him to be available? To take that risk we would need to do a lot of due diligence on his issues and if he’s doing well in recovery. If that all checks out a 3rd and conditional pick next year based on performance.

I guess I’m unsure what the word toll means for contract. I might have stated backwards, but meant ‘he is cheap in 22’!
Toll = pushed back a year. That's what happened to all the COVID optouts in 2020.

Toll = pushed back a year. That's what happened to all the COVID optouts in 2020.
Thx. That is what I thought. Sciz post seemed to imply opposite

I don't think the contract tolling is so cut-and-dry. But for the sake of discussion, let's say it does toll and it's essentially 2 years/$13m or so. IMO, Pats could trade a 2023 third-rounder that becomes a second-rounder if Ridley is active at least so many games, or some similar milestone. It's a shaky situation, but Ridley is undeniably talented - and at the same time, the Pats could use him, but aren't in total dire straits if he doesn't pan out. They can fit his small '22 cap hit without issues and have better cash flow in '23 to fit the $11M salary also. It seems like a sensible move to me.

It's possible that the culture in NE helps keep Ridley in the right mental frame of mind, but it's also possible the rigidity is too much for him. Hard to say. Mac and Ridley were briefly teammates at Alabama, so perhaps that helps as well. Obviously some other recent draftees from 'Bama on the team also.

So SI says he is likely to come here, FWIW.

Falcons Trade Prediction: WR Calvin Ridley to Patriots

who thinks that’s a good idea? And who thinks he is just another AB head case?

did someone say poll…….?

personally, I’m not much on the old We need a wr #1 theory. But a conditional 2023 pick wouldnt trouble me I guess.
There is 0.0 chance he is coming here and SI saying it is trying to sell clicks. There is nothing anywhere that says there is even mutual interests. Bill is not spending 80 mil on passcatchers and then turn around and pay 15 mil more for another guy. If he does then Bill is not doing things he didnt do for 20 years and the D will still be ****.

Yea I'm second-guessing myself as its little unclear to me since he didn't vest last year.

I'm in the process of reading this. So it looks like a 2y/$13m for Ridley?

If he is 2 yrs 13 mil another team will offer more and he will go there.

why would the falcons trade him to NE after 28-3????

Yes, that's what tolling would mean. The matter of whether this year of his contract tolls is up for debate, and I don't know why the author of the OP's article says it will toll while citing another article that comes to the conclusion that his contract probably won't toll (meaning one year, $11M).

I'd trade a three for him... in a heart beat.

and the falcons owe us... forking over a two for sanu

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back