PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

The Following teams should be selling the farm for Jimmy

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yup. We have to be realistic about the situation.

Brady at age 39 is playing like a mobile QB. He's scrambling for first downs and buying time like never before. That first down pass to White on the sideline was a play Russell Wilson makes. His velocity hasn't diminished and his deep ball looks better than the past few years.

I thought Jimmy G would be the starter by 2016 right after we drafted him (oops). Brady has proved historical trends wrong. Maybe he can play at this level at age 45?

We need to get something rather than nothing for Jimmy G. We can't have 45 million in cap tied up to two QBs. The top of this draft might be the most talented since 2011 too.

Leonard Fournette would extend Brady's career. Myles Garrett would be a BB dream. It's tough to pass them up for what looks like the slim chance Brady declines next year.

What a dream scenario, draft Garrett then trade up using the extra from Jimmy G trade and our own first to go up and take Fournette. **dribbling**

Did I hear right that Kiser is now staying in school. Think he was made #1 QB on CBS mock for first time now he has been taken out I believe.

The Bottom line is there is a 90% chance the Patriots are trading Jimmy after the 2016 season. I would expect a 1st rounder and a 3rd rounder. Thats great value. Now we just gotta hope Brady keeps playing like the GOAT for another 4 or 5 years lol.

Did I hear right that Kiser is now staying in school. Think he was made #1 QB on CBS mock for first time now he has been taken out I believe.
Considering the fact that he was benched a week or two ago, his decision to remain in school may not be a bad one.

HC Brian Kelly has called his play "unacceptable," although I think that's too strong of a statement.

Last edited:
The Bottom line is there is a 90% chance the Patriots are trading Jimmy after the 2016 season. I would expect a 1st rounder and a 3rd rounder.
Did they even get that for Drew Bledsoe? Obviously, they got nothing close for Cassel.

I will hold out hope for a 1st rounder, but I'm not sure about all of these multiple high round picks people are throwing around.

Did they even get that for Drew Bledsoe? Obviously, they got nothing close for Cassel.

I will hold out hope for a 1st rounder, but I'm not sure about all of these multiple high round picks people are throwing around.

I have no idea, I am completely talking out of my ass. But if they get multiple teams bidding on him obviously the better deal we get.. and by the looks of things there should be plenty of teams trying to upgrade at QB.

Again, Cassel is a special case.

I have no idea, I am completely talking out of my ass. But if they get multiple teams bidding on him obviously the better deal we get.. and by the looks of things there should be plenty of teams trying to upgrade at QB.

Yet you want your team to downgrade. Why pray tell. What position is so bereft of talent that we must trade to get a pick to fill it? Can't find one, can you? So why weaken your most important position, Hmmmn?

Yet you want your team to downgrade. Why pray tell. What position is so bereft of talent that we must trade to get a pick to fill it? Can't find one, can you? So why weaken your most important position, Hmmmn?

I would say O line and Secondary could use upgrades. We can't keep both QB's you might as well get as much value as you can for him while you can.

And who knows who we lose to Free agency, most likely Jamie Collins is gone and who knows about Butler even though he is still just a restricted free agent.

I would say O line and Secondary could use upgrades. We can't keep both QB's you might as well get as much value as you can for him while you can.

And who knows who we lose to Free agency, most likely Jamie Collins is gone and who knows about Butler even though he is still just a restricted free agent.

In the worst case scenario for losing Butler the Pats get a first-rounder for him.

Is either position such a disaster that our own First and Second can't fix it? In the words of the immortal Gene Autry... Nope.

The Draftniks have crawled out from under their rocks. Thankfully BB is no fool and knows how hard it is to find a potential franchise QB. Why should he trade just because he might have two of them?

Because Brady isn't close to being done and Garrapolo isn't going to want to sit until he is. They should hold onto him unless they get enough in return for him but I see little to no likelihood of Brady being done before Garrapolo hits unrestricted free agency. They could always franchise him but at 20 million that will be a difficult move to pull off.

But next year, there will be no farm to buy for Jimmy as our leverage will decrease significantly. Plus who is to say that Jacoby Brissett won't be a good back up for our 40 year old QB.

The stats say that. Only 8 of 45 First Round QBs this century, never mind later picks, even have a winning record. Brisett has a slow methodical release, and doesn't throw a very catchable ball.

The bidders will be there, to insure they get him

I swear, some of you fellows act like Tom Brady is going to be the Patriots QB until he is 60-years-old.

If you think that Jimmy G is the real deal (or could be), then you do your best to retain him. Franchise QBs do not go on trees, and having one gives you a shot every single year. This shouldn't have to be explained to any football fan, let alone Patriots fans.

Brady will be 40 next season...how many years do you realistically think he has left? He ain't super-human. Look at any other QB's longevity.

If you think Garappolo won't pan out, that's one thing...then trade him for a couple of high picks today...rip somebody off. But he has played well given the brief chance, and that's all we have to go by.

It'll be interesting to see what the Pats do in this circumstance. He'll be a free agent after next year, and the numbers might not work with Brady still holding on. Somebody might be left holding the bag.

The stats say that. Only 8 of 45 First Round QBs this century, never mind later picks, even have a winning record. Brisett has a slow methodical release, and doesn't throw a very catchable ball.

The bidders will be there, to insure they get him
And you made that savvy evaluation from you living room based on the very limited views we got of him?????? :rolleyes: GET over yourself, and how the f%ck can you tell he doesn't throw a catchable ball? Have you ever caught a pass from him? Do you have any more TV analyst cliches for me before I go to bed?

BTW- why the stat on QB's drafted in the first round (which is illuminating, btw) mean anything to the Pats. They aren't going to use that #1 pick they get for JG on a QB

I think Garrapolo will either Be gone by the draft or a Patriotnext year, I don't think he will be traded in the summer for 2018 picks.

At some point the Patriots need to invest into a new QB. I'd say Brady has 2-3 good years left.

I swear, some of you fellows act like Tom Brady is going to be the Patriots QB until he is 60-years-old.

If you think that Jimmy G is the real deal (or could be), then you do your best to retain him. Franchise QBs do not go on trees, and having one gives you a shot every single year. This shouldn't have to be explained to any football fan, let alone Patriots fans.

Brady will be 40 next season...how many years do you realistically think he has left? He ain't super-human. Look at any other QB's longevity.

If you think Garappolo won't pan out, that's one thing...then trade him for a couple of high picks today...rip somebody off. But he has played well given the brief chance, and that's all we have to go by.

It'll be interesting to see what the Pats do in this circumstance. He'll be a free agent after next year, and the numbers might not work with Brady still holding on. Somebody might be left holding the bag.
I don't think it takes any crazy assumptions about Brady's retirement age. Frankly, I wouldn't rule out the nightmare scenario where Garoppolo leaves in 2018 free agency, Brady plays in 2018 at age 41, but then Brady retires and the Pats need a new starting QB in 2019.

Nobody can blame Garoppolo if his primary goal is to be a starting quarterback in 2018. If the Pats aren't offering him that, then the only thing they can do to guarantee he sticks around past Brady is multiple franchise tags, which isn't happening. Many posters share your "do your best to retain him" sentiment, but that falls apart in a hurry if Garoppolo isn't willing to cooperate.

Last edited:
I don't think it takes any crazy assumptions about Brady's retirement age. Frankly, I wouldn't rule out the nightmare scenario where Garoppolo leaves in 2018 free agency, Brady plays in 2018 at age 41, but then Brady retires and the Pats need a new starting QB in 2019.

It wouldn't surprise me if one of Ernie Adams' job duties is to game out all the various scenarios involved in Brady's future.

I've said this and I'll say it again: what the Patriots do with Garoppolo and Brady will probably end up being the most important roster move the Patriots have made since they traded Bledsoe. It might end up being the biggest roster move any team makes this decade.

Status
Not open for further replies.

2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots WR Javon Baker Conference Call
TRANSCRIPT: Layden Robinson Conference Call
MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
Back