PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

The Neutral Zone Infraction

Status
Not open for further replies.
That's still the rule, unless the offensive line makes a move. If the defense being in the neutral zone causes a false start, it is a penalty against the defense. My beef is with the fact that the false start is supposed to be an accidental reaction to a defensive player's movement, not a deliberate strategy and deliberate reaction.

When the rule was changed, it was only supposed to be (and still maybe is) the offensive lineman directly opposite the defensive player in the neutral zone. For example, if the right defensive end jumped (Freeney for example), the left tackle directly opposite (Matt Light) would be the only person who could draw the penalty.

All that may have changed.....

If someone jumps (like a polamalu style jump over the o-line) and hit manning. Would that just be offsides or could that be a personal foul?

Just offsides. Happened in the CAR SF game. Not even an auto first down. So why not do it everytime on third or fourth down on the goal line. Eventually you may jump it right

The problem with that is if you don't time it exactly, it would most likely be 'unabated to the quarterback' which is a 5 yard penalty.

If that jump results in excess contact with the quarterback before the ball is snapped, it would, IIRC, be a personal foul for unnecessary roughness.

I agree with the OP. The Broncos OL is taught to "react" when the DL moves. It's hard for the Refs to discern if the OL moved intentionally or "reacted."

I posted this elsewhere but is it illegal for the Pats to give really loud defensive audibles? OR do they just have to sit there and let him play his games in silence?

I posted this elsewhere but is it illegal for the Pats to give really loud defensive audibles? OR do they just have to sit there and let him play his games in silence?

"Any action by any opposing player that causes Peyton Manning any discomfort, whatsoever, is to be treated as 'Unsportsmanlike Conduct' to be penalized by a 15 yard penalty and an automatic first down." - AFC Championship Rule Addendum 1.

A defense cannot try and emulate the cadence of the QB. It's a penalty. I know I saw a game where this happened, I just don't recall if it was a Pats game or not.

That's still the rule, unless the offensive line makes a move. If the defense being in the neutral zone causes a false start, it is a penalty against the defense. My beef is with the fact that the false start is supposed to be an accidental reaction to a defensive player's movement, not a deliberate strategy and deliberate reaction.

I guess I'd need to see the plays again but my reaction at the time was that Blakeman didn't call it this way. Charger defenders came into the neutral zone and Bronco lineman simply pointed at them.

Yeah Manning got a lot of free gifts from San Diego.

I guess I'd need to see the plays again but my reaction at the time was that Blakeman didn't call it this way. Charger defenders came into the neutral zone and Bronco lineman simply pointed at them.
But if that's all that happened, the ref isn't supposed to throw the flag. The defender is allowed the chance to get back onside prior to the snap, unless his offsides is unabated to the QB.

A neutral zone infraction is when the offsides defender *causes* the false start. The o-linemen are not supposed to *deliberately* false start just because someone is in the neutral zone.

The most annoying thing about it was the media/fans gushing all over Peyton saying how smart he was... the only reason they kept doing it is because the idiot Chargers kept biting.

and quite honestly...a couple definitely should have gone the other way, it was making me sick watching him back there.

But if that's all that happened, the ref isn't supposed to throw the flag. The defender is allowed the chance to get back onside prior to the snap, unless his offsides is unabated to the QB.

A neutral zone infraction is when the offsides defender *causes* the false start. The o-linemen are not supposed to *deliberately* false start just because someone is in the neutral zone.

Yep - I agree. Thought Blakeman handled this poorly and made a joke of the rule.

Yep - I agree. Thought Blakeman handled this poorly and made a joke of the rule.

Judgement call that 99% of officials will call on defense as it is impossible to prove the offensive lineman deliberately jumped to draw the flag....

Dumb rule that needs to be addressed in the off season imo....

I've seen Pats OLmen pretty clearly intentionally move plenty of times when the DLman is over the line to draw the penalty.

Look, I hate Goober about as much as anyone, but every team in the league does this and every team in the league gets away with it quite a bit.

We do it. Connolly has been called twice because it was clear he was faking it.

I've seen Pats OLmen pretty clearly intentionally move plenty of times when the DLman is over the line to draw the penalty.

Look, I hate Goober about as much as anyone, but every team in the league does this and every team in the league gets away with it quite a bit.
Oh really? What game from this year did one team get called for 5 NZ Infractions?

I'm not blaming Goober one bit. He's taking advantage of the refs and I would want my team to do the same. I'm just saying I hope Belichick makes sure the players know the rule - and the refs.

We do it. Connolly has been called twice because it was clear he was faking it.

Yep, for some reason when most teams/players try to abuse rules like this the officials call them out, but they seem to go out of their way to make the calls for Manning and he gets lauded for it.

Sure would be nice if the referees ever actually called this correctly. Manning yells "Omaha" all game long which means "snap the ball on my next call." However, he will change it up once in a whilte and yell "Omaha.... HUT" and not a single Bronco moves. This often gets opponents to jump.

However, here's the rub. If the defense jumps into the neutral zone, the offensive lineman is not suppose to deliberately react to draw the penalty. But that's what the Broncos do; i.e. that's Denver's strategy.

Anyways, I hope the Pats don't fall for it. Coach 'em up, Bill..!!

what was more frustrating was the missed false start on Manning on a few of those calls . . .recently the rule changed and a QB can not thrust his hands forward without there being a simultaneous snap of the ball . . . they used to be able to get away with this but the NFL changed the rule . . .

the false start rules reads in pertinent part . . .

Item 5: Shotgun Formation. A player who is in position to receive the snap in shotgun formation is permitted to shift his feet prior to the snap, but any quick and abrupt movement is a False Start. This includes thrusting his hands forward when there is not a simultaneous snap.

Item 6: Attempt to Draw Offside. Any obvious attempt by the quarterback or other player in position to receive the snap to draw an opponent offside is a False Start.

I hope the refs don't let him get away with it this weekend and that BB and company are reminded the NFL and refs about this . . . at least two of the encroachments should of been a false start as manning tried and did draw them offenses as a result of the hands going forward . . . he yell Omaha, hut and so on many times, but would then do it by moving his hands forward and that is when they went offsides . . .

Status
Not open for further replies.

2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
Back