PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

The Uncle Heatster 3-Round draft

Status
Not open for further replies.
I disagree. If he's floating around in the early second I think we should trade up. Tate is good speed, is extremely bright, and has played in the system before. He can line up on the outside, in the slot, or out of the backfield. Tate would be a solid second round pick.

Tate has not played in the system before. The Patriots run BB's offensive system. Not Weis'. Weis' has his own system. They may be similar, but it's fallacy to think they are the same.

While Tate may be a solid 2nd round pick, I don't see the need to trade up for him..

Tate has not played in the system before. The Patriots run BB's offensive system. Not Weis'. Weis' has his own system. They may be similar, but it's fallacy to think they are the same.

While Tate may be a solid 2nd round pick, I don't see the need to trade up for him..

New England Patriots strategy - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Specifically...

The Patriots run a modified "Ron Erhardt - Ray Perkins" offensive system[1] installed by Charlie Weis under Bill Belichick.

...and...

Parcells ran the Erhardt-Perkins offensive system during his pro coaching years, which is where Weis originally learned it.[citation needed] Many teams coached by members of the Parcells-Belichick coaching tree currently use this system, such as Notre Dame under Weis.

Thanks DH. I always look forward to your mocks. Now about the replies...
I would go Rob Gronkowski. before McCluster (who you had misgivings about, obviously). I would not consider trading up for Golden Tate (as DB said). I think that he might slide. I like the other picks, and your thoughts as well. Just one man's opinion.

14. Seahawks - Dez Bryant WR Oklahoma St. Seattle has been in on every veteran free agent WR this offseason. Pete Carroll is stoked.

Hey Dryster

Nice job.

I see you have Pete Carroll showing the same draft acumen that he displayed in New England. Dez seems more like an Al Davis pick but maybe Pistol Pete has not wised up. Good call.

Last edited:
At least one too many Tate's for me. And way too many offensive skill players early. And while I see us trading it's straight down and not up to go down unless it's up in the later rounds of a deep draft. We can target some offensive talent in the late 3rd to mid 4th (Moeaki, Pitta, White, Roberts) so i'd rather find a trading partner with a must have need willing to part with a 3 and 4 for one of the 40's and inch back in the first for another 4th and maybe more if someone else with a must have and an early second wants back in late in round one. Between 22-53 or more I want to see names like Pouncy or Hughes or Kindle followed by names like Misi and Alualu and Valdheer or Asamoah. We took a flyer on one Tate last season. That may pan out this year but it didn't last year. I also have no interest in drafting a TE early who hasn't seen the field in a year because of serious injury. Shades of Ben Watson's first season. I want more highly talented trench warriors early (LB/DE/OL) and less gifted but more hard nosed effort guys later (WR/TE/RB).

1. I don't think Clausen gets by Seattle or Buffalo, two teams with huge QB needs. No way he slides all the way to #28. Some team will trade up for him before then, even if he does somehow get by Buffalo.

2. I hate McCluster to the Pats. I just don't think he has the durability to hold up to a full NFL season, and I don't think he has the speed to play a WR role in the NFL. He's not worth a 2nd round pick. I wouldn't hate the pick so much in the 4th round or later.

3. I agree that Bulaga is overrated. At best I think he's suited to RT.

4. I think that there is a ZERO percent chance the Pats come out of the first 4 rounds of the 2010 draft without taking a TE prospect.

5. Earl Thomas should also be selected ahead of Taylor Mays who is a freak athlete but sucks in coverage. Otherwise a nice effort.

Last edited:
Thanks for all the comments. On to address some questions/concerns:

Again, I don't want McCluster in the 2nd. I just really, really, think Belichick has a role for him on this team, and likes his make-up. I would prefer Ben Tate and perhaps a value pick of CB or TE later. I just can't shake the feeling McCluster is coming to Foxboro. However, I think his first position will be as WR. He's not going to start taking backfield reps away from Faulk yet.

I think we've reached the point where we need pass rush badly enough that BB's not going to pass over good pass rushers because they fall an inch or two short on height. For the record (and I haven't gone back to research the quote), my memory is that the now-famous quote seemed to indicated those pass-rushers had to have either size or elite suddenness, not necessarily both. Hughes has an amazingly quick first step and gets in on the blocker fast enough to neutralize his height defecit. EDIT: "I think the outside linebacker group this year was a little bit different," Belichick said. "Generally speaking, I'd say there were more shorter players, maybe a little less speed than what we've seen, but maybe a little more power with good production. There weren't a lot of 4.6, 4.65 guys in the [40-yard dash], and not a lot of 6-[foot]-4[-inch], 6-5 guys. There was a much smaller pool of those players."

I see a few of you want to draft Misi in the 2nd after drafting Hughes. I can't see BB going OLB twice in the first four picks, but I guess it could happen if he has Misi rated highly enough.

After paying Charlie Whitehurst top-backup, if not starter, money, I don't think Seattle is in the market for a round-one quarterback. Buffalo has zero offensive tackles. I can't imagine that they'll ignore some potentially great ones to draft Clausen. The fact is, I don't see too many teams with a 1st round QB need at the cost of other holes on their roster. Additionally, Clausen seems to have a bit of a Ryan Leaf-type attitude, where he's a wonderful quarterback and a better person...just ask him.

Thanks again...draft day is coming up quickly...

Last edited:
I really hope we don't pass us Spiller if he so happens to slip to the spot at 22. We have fossils running the ball and... Maroney. We need an upgrade at RB. I love Faulk and all too but he doesn't have too much left in the tank. Spiller could easily replace him after this year but split carries with someone else.

I really hope we don't pass us Spiller if he so happens to slip to the spot at 22. We have fossils running the ball and... Maroney. We need an upgrade at RB. I love Faulk and all too but he doesn't have too much left in the tank. Spiller could easily replace him after this year but split carries with someone else.

Without a run blocking upgrade on the offensive line, I don't think Spiller would look much better than what we currently have back there.

Why? He's not a pressing need and the RB's in this draft are a few rounds deep. I don't want to trade out of the first round again but if we did and the draft fell like that, I would be happy.

We have 1 playmaker on the offensive side of the ball, 1! If we could get a playmaker at RB that can catch and run as well as Spiller he could be the most explosive offensive weapon we've ever had and 22 is a great value spot for him. Every other position of need for us is fairly deep in this draft (OLB, WR DE-deep enough that we could get a good one in the late second) and Spiller is a top 15 pick so for him to be there at 22 would be a steal.

We have 1 playmaker on the offensive side of the ball, 1! If we could get a playmaker at RB that can catch and run as well as Spiller he could be the most explosive offensive weapon we've ever had and 22 is a great value spot for him. Every other position of need for us is fairly deep in this draft (OLB, WR DE-deep enough that we could get a good one in the late second) and Spiller is a top 15 pick so for him to be there at 22 would be a steal.

Exactly. Not to mention he would make a good addition to the return game and he can always come out of the backfield. It would be stupid to pass him up unless we can trade down and aquire a really good deal. I want Spiller.

At least one too many Tate's for me. And way too many offensive skill players early. And while I see us trading it's straight down and not up to go down unless it's up in the later rounds of a deep draft. We can target some offensive talent in the late 3rd to mid 4th (Moeaki, Pitta, White, Roberts) so i'd rather find a trading partner with a must have need willing to part with a 3 and 4 for one of the 40's and inch back in the first for another 4th and maybe more if someone else with a must have and an early second wants back in late in round one. Between 22-53 or more I want to see names like Pouncy or Hughes or Kindle followed by names like Misi and Alualu and Veldheer or Asamoah. We took a flyer on one Tate last season. That may pan out this year but it didn't last year. I also have no interest in drafting a TE early who hasn't seen the field in a year because of serious injury. Shades of Ben Watson's first season. I want more highly talented trench warriors early (LB/DE/OL) and less gifted but more hard nosed effort guys later (WR/TE/RB).

I agree, though I feel that WR needs to be addressed both early (2nd round) & later (6th-7th round).

Sorry to burst your bubble, but the site isn't correct.

NFL: How did New England Patriots coach Bill Belichick learn offense? A trailer deep in Tennessee holds some clues -- and his tutor. - ESPN

Bill Belichick learned offense from Ken Shipp while they both were at Detroit. When Belichick went to the Giants, he actually helped modify the offense that Ron Ehrhardt was running.

The Offense that Belichick runs is based off of Ken Shipp and has been modified over the years by Belichick. Others have used the Ken Shipp model. Including Ron Ehrhardt. And when BB was with the Giants, BB had a hand in modifying the offense there as well.

The offense is his offense. Weis was the steward and modified it. But it was still BB's. Weis ran his own system at ND. The uneducated claim that they are the same, but they aren't. They are only similar.

Wow.. I didn't realize that the Pats were without Kevin Faulk and Julian Edelman on the offensive side of the Ball. Or Randy Moss for that matter.

As usual, Triple has to exaggerate and blow things out of proportion. He forgets that the Patriots didn't have ANY realy playmakers other than FAULK on the 2001 team.

Wow.. I didn't realize that the Pats were without Kevin Faulk and Julian Edelman on the offensive side of the Ball. Or Randy Moss for that matter.

As usual, Triple has to exaggerate and blow things out of proportion. He forgets that the Patriots didn't have ANY realy playmakers other than FAULK on the 2001 team.

Faulk is old. Moss is old and most likley will be leaving soon. Edelman is a 2nd year man that has loads of potential but still needs to proove himself. Welker is injured. Maroney stinks. Fred and Sammy are old. Old. Old. Old. I cant say it enough. We need more depth at RB with younger skilled players.

Faulk is old. Moss is old and most likley will be leaving soon. Edelman is a 2nd year man that has loads of potential but still needs to proove himself. Welker is injured. Maroney stinks. Fred and Sammy are old. Old. Old. Old. I cant say it enough. We need more depth at RB with younger skilled players.

Faulk may be "OLD" but he's still one of the best 3rd down backs in the league. And he's STILL a play-maker.

Maroney doesn't STINK. You haters just have unrealistic expectations.

Welker may be injured now, but don't be surprised if he's on the field game 1.

Moss may be old, but he still makes plays.

People like you and Triple will find ANYTHING to complain about. " They're too old." "They're not old enough" Waaahh.. waaaah.. waahhh..

Faulk may be "OLD" but he's still one of the best 3rd down backs in the league. And he's STILL a play-maker.

Maroney doesn't STINK. You haters just have unrealistic expectations.

Welker may be injured now, but don't be surprised if he's on the field game 1.

Moss may be old, but he still makes plays.

People like you and Triple will find ANYTHING to complain about. " They're too old." "They're not old enough" Waaahh.. waaaah.. waahhh..

C'mon brah, don't be ridiculous. Of course Faulk is good but he won't be around forever. All I'm saying is that we need to not just be thinking about this year we need to think about the future too. Welker on the field game one!? I hope not. He had a severe and career threating injury he needs to rest that. There's no reason to rush him on the field and injure it again. A lot of our current playmakers are old and not getting any younger. Maroney isn't living up to his first round selection and is not the long term answer. I am not a hater and I don't have unrealistic expectations. Just watch Maroney run... not good.

Haha, and who's saying not old enough? wtf

Last edited:
Heatster- Interesting trades, but I'm not sure how much they benefit us. Still, thoughtful work. However, if the Pats trade away the chance to get Spiller I'll need 3 weeks in traction to get over it. Especially if it doesn't bring an extra 2nd or 3rd for next year with it.

Spiller is going to be a star and we desperately need more stars than we do more guys who are plus players. Though I'll grant you the possibility that Hughes is being underestimated and may become a star himself.

Sorry to burst your bubble, but the site isn't correct.

NFL: How did New England Patriots coach Bill Belichick learn offense? A trailer deep in Tennessee holds some clues -- and his tutor. - ESPN

Bill Belichick learned offense from Ken Shipp while they both were at Detroit. When Belichick went to the Giants, he actually helped modify the offense that Ron Ehrhardt was running.

The Offense that Belichick runs is based off of Ken Shipp and has been modified over the years by Belichick. Others have used the Ken Shipp model. Including Ron Ehrhardt. And when BB was with the Giants, BB had a hand in modifying the offense there as well.

The offense is his offense. Weis was the steward and modified it. But it was still BB's. Weis ran his own system at ND. The uneducated claim that they are the same, but they aren't. They are only similar.

So, for all intents and purposes of this thread, ESPN is dead on while Wikipedia is wrong? That's the first I've ever seen on this forum. But whatever, whether they are the same or not, they are similar as you have said. My main driving point is that BB loves players who are intelligent. Tate is a Notre Dame graduate meaning that, in order to play, he had to have the grades. Anybody who has heard him talk knows that he is a bright kid. I'm pretty confident that Tate can pick up the differences in our offense and Notre Dame's offense rather quickly after being drafted. Disagree with that if you wish...

So, for all intents and purposes of this thread, ESPN is dead on while Wikipedia is wrong? That's the first I've ever seen on this forum. But whatever, whether they are the same or not, they are similar as you have said. My main driving point is that BB loves players who are intelligent. Tate is a Notre Dame graduate meaning that, in order to play, he had to have the grades. Anybody who has heard him talk knows that he is a bright kid. I'm pretty confident that Tate can pick up the differences in our offense and Notre Dame's offense rather quickly after being drafted. Disagree with that if you wish...

G. Tate might be smart, I'll take your word on that. But of more concern is his route running ability. He just doesn't seem to have a wide variety of routes. And his physicality and willingness to go over the middle are also questionable. So I question whether he's worth a 1st round pick.

However, Tate needs to do a better job in the Red Zone. His footwork needs more polish and he is not the most physical wide out prospect. He tends to shy away from contact, and his route running also needs more development.

Golden Tate Scouting Report - 2010 NFL Draft Prospect

I think in the 2nd round, he might be worth the gamble, but is he really ready to step into this offense and make a contribution right away compared to other WRs in this draft who have more polished route running skills?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots WR Javon Baker Conference Call
TRANSCRIPT: Layden Robinson Conference Call
MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
Back