PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

This is the Worst Loss I've Ever Experienced as a Fan

Status
Not open for further replies.
yeah i would say this is the worst loss i prob have ever felt as a sports fan.

Steelers fan here. I feel your pain.
1995, lost the AFC Title game to the Chargers
1996, lost the Superbowl to the Cowboys.
1998, lost the AFC Title Game to the Broncos
2002, lost the AFC Title Game to the Patriots
2005, lost the AFC Title Game to the Patriots

Talk about heartbreak. That's 5 in just the last 12 years. Doesn't include any of the 1980s losses or the non title game losses.

what makes a Great team Great, is how the get back up off the canvas. I don't want the Pats to "fade away" or for their time to be over. I want them at their best when we play. Cause to be the man, you have to beat the man. And even though you guys have whooped us, I still want you again. There is no measuring stick like playing the Pats. You can see where your weakness truly is, cause the Pats will expose it.

In football, nothing even comes close. Baseball, the leader in the clubhouse was 1986/Buckner, which 2003 came close to. But those losses lost a lot of their sting when the Sox won the World Series. This is so incredibly painful because of the all the negative energy towards the Pats, the grind of the perfect season which became so exausting, and how close they came here. It's hard to even think about next year. The thing is, nothing can erase this unless there was ANOTHER run at a perfect season, which at this point is the last thing I'd want. Awful awful awful.
you must be young. because to me it cant get any worse than the 86 redsox. at the least the pats have won only four years ago . 86 was torture .

you must be young. because to me it cant get any worse than the 86 redsox. at the least the pats have won only four years ago . 86 was torture .

No, I'm not young (and today I feel like I'm about 150.) I mentioned 86 first. But this is worse, to me. It's about the perfection, the dynasty, the whole damn thing.

Talk about heartbreak. That's 5 in just the last 12 years. Doesn't include any of the 1980s losses or the non title game losses.

what makes a Great team Great, is how the get back up off the canvas. I don't want the Pats to "fade away" or for their time to be over. I want them at their best when we play. Cause to be the man, you have to beat the man. And even though you guys have whooped us, I still want you again. There is no measuring stick like playing the Pats. You can see where your weakness truly is, cause the Pats will expose it.

Well put Dino! Seeing the Steelers recent history puts things in perspective. And it makes those SUper Bowl wins seem more special because they are so tough to get. Rooted for you guys 2 years ago. I'm sure there will be more Pats-Steelers playoff games.

For me, this is the toughest loss to take, just because of being on the verge of something historic, and then losing it in the final minute. This loss is much tougher for me than last years AFCCG. Hope everyone can deal with the loss and look ahead for the 08 season!

Last edited:
I agree.....this is the WORST loss and the hardest one to take by far.....We were 36 seconds away from winning this freaking game......36 seconds.....All they had to do was hold them one more time.....I had been saying for weeks now that a 1 on 1 matchup of Hobbs vs Burress would be a KILLER.....and BOOM....that is what they go to......they knew if they could get Hobbs stranded by himself in a prevent........they could torch him....and they did it.....But I blame the bulk of this loss on the poor offensive line play.....they should be ashamed of themselves. Light: "They just dominated us out there tonight" No Sh**? Really?? Jeez never would have seen that one.......I know alot of you like Light and Kaczur....but when things implode it is ALWAYS THEIR NUMBERS THAT ARE GETTING CALLED AS THE CULPRIT.......Moving either of these guys in the offseason would not kill me....

Next in line on the blame train is Belichick and McDaniels.......We have a 4th and 13 and BB elects to GO FOR IT? Kick the *#* field goal Bill!!! And.....If you don't have confidence in your PK to make a 47 yard attempt.....then HE SHOULD NOT BE HERE....combine that with the shank out of bounds on the kickoff and I seriously question whether this guy should be kicking for us next year......Vinny would have been brought out on that one....according to what was said on ESPN it seemed that BB wasn't confident in Gost making that kick and didn't want the kid to get jittery if he missed the first one....and then had to make another do or die later in the game.....not sure of the validity of this....but can't find any other reason to go for it on 4th and LONG there......McDaniels playcalling WAS ATROCIOUS.....How we have all these weapons on offense but CAN'T F**King UTILIZE THEM??? How can this be? Stallworth was all but invisible....Gaffney (although banged up) was nowhere to be found......Troy Brown (Who I am SURE could have found some openings) was left on the bench (although healthy).....because there weren't enough roster spots!!! McDaniels inability TO ADJUST during the game yesterday and find SOME way to get the pressure off Brady and get the offense going.....was another huge factor as to why we lost.....How about utilizing Kyle Brady and Evans more to stop the blitzing of NY? Hell get creative Josh.....put Richard Seymour or Adalius Thomas in the backfield (like Weiss used to) and either use him/them to block for Maroney or protect Brady......This is the kind of creativity that this team NEEDS again from their OC.....and I for one do not care for McDaniels lack of adjustment making/creativity......Again, I know he has had some good games.....but in so many games.....his playcalling and NOT FINDING SOME WAY TO get our big weapons involved.....was a killer..........

Oh well, flame away...this one stings the hell out of me people......as I know it does most of you diehard fans......I couldn't sleep worth a damn last night....I felt like puking all day.........and all I can think of is 36 seconds to go......and we would have made history........This one will hurt for a long time.....and all the obnoxious new yorkers that keep piling it on, and all the other fans of other teams that keep throwing it in our faces....may you get your incredibly painful dose of the same sh## you're giving out someday.......Never saw a Pats fan dump sh## on the opponents fans/team after any of our SB wins........Our fans may be alot of things but "un-classy" is not one of them.....

But....Congrats to the Pats for the perfect regular season in winning 16 straight games.......the 72 doofins can kiss my *****.....we surpassed their record of 17 straight games and hold the title of the most consecutive wins by any NFL team......The 72 classless Douche-fins.....(Hey I like that.....will have to remember that one for next season ;)......couldn't have held a candle to anything that is the 2007 Pats......We would have annihilated those pukes.......We have alot to be happy and thankful for....the 2007 Pats gave us a hell of a ride......and a season to remember.....

In closing, I feel so sorry for Junior Seau.......we should have gotten the ring for him.....but this is not a game of should/coulda/woulda....Pats just couldn't close the deal.....Hopefully this disturbing trend of inability to finish the deal last year against Indy and this against the Gints ....will not continue......GO PATS...........

I guess that does put things in perspective a bit Dino.......we have to get used to this kind of thing because it will happen.....just never thought it would be the Pats losing like this....this year......Good luck next year Dino and thanks for being a classy steeler fan......wish others would take notice....

With your emotion taken out, stcjones, which of coarse is excusable today, your points are dead on acurate. The lack of adjusting, must have driven you crazy. I couldn't believe watching that they kept trying for long routes and didn't adjust to a running game and a shorter passing game that would have utilized the clock better and prevented untimely incomplete passes.

I originally came on this board, to get back at a Pats fan that gave me and mine a hard time after you guys wooped us...again...something I'm kind of getting used to seeing, frustratingly so, but decided to play nice. Piling on isn't the point.

15-1, AFC Title Game, Steelers looking to go the Superbowl with a Rookie QB...Harrison tears my heart out and shows it to me before he runs down the side line with the INT TD. Ugh...pain man, true pain. But guess what makes up for it. Another SB Win the next year. The Pats aren't going away, the Pats are going to be right in the thick of it again next season, and although historic in nature, this loss could be a blessing in disguise. It may be time to get some young talent in the LB Core, like that Larinitus Kid from OSU. I fear him becoming a Patriot. I'm so mad at the 9ers for sucking so bad this year handing the already loaded Pats a ticket to a fantastic Player.

In football, nothing even comes close. Baseball, the leader in the clubhouse was 1986/Buckner, which 2003 came close to. But those losses lost a lot of their sting when the Sox won the World Series. This is so incredibly painful because of the all the negative energy towards the Pats, the grind of the perfect season which became so exausting, and how close they came here. It's hard to even think about next year. The thing is, nothing can erase this unless there was ANOTHER run at a perfect season, which at this point is the last thing I'd want. Awful awful awful.
A Pat's loss can't compare to the Red Sox losses in 1986 and 2003. Those were in a league by themselves.

Still Gutted. This is going to hurt for a while.

Dino,
I guess all teams will have fans act like trolls on opposing messageboards. And those that rub in a Steelers loss are just lame. I think this place for the most part is ok to opposing team's fans. It's nice to see other fans have something insightful to say.

I guess that does put things in perspective a bit Dino.......we have to get used to this kind of thing because it will happen.....just never thought it would be the Pats losing like this....this year......Good luck next year Dino and thanks for being a classy steeler fan......wish others would take notice....

On game day, I'm so NOT Classy!!!! HA HA!

But yeah, you have to put it in perspective. I of coarse didn't want to see the Pats win, because it would tarnish my teams "Dynasty" and my God Like Coach Noll's record of 4-0. I did however root for the Pats against the Rams, the Panthers and the Eagles (I still hate T.O.) I just couldn't do it this year, and since I have a soft spot for the Mannings, I didn't mind seeing Eli win, especially with Tiki not on the team and Shockey on the sidelines.

Trust me, I came here to "gloat" and be "mean" but then, I remembered the feeling...well the 5 or 6 feelings...that I've had after losses just like this.

Neil O threw 2 picks against Dallas...Two!! to the Same GUY! Seriosly...it took me years to get over that. And then the Kordell years...Ugh...Pain...finally, Ben came, and showed me hope. Finally a QB that I can be proud of, and at least include in conversations with others in the league. He's from the Same Class as Eli, both with Rings now. Pretty good company.

A priceless post from a clown who's a fan of the team with the biggest joke of a front office in the NFL. Your future's oh so bright skippy.

Yeah, this isn't much fun. But in perspective, it isn't the end of the world. But I agree its the worst sports loss ever.

I got a lot of work done today rather than jumping in here and playing around.

Sorry to opposing fans but You have no clue how this feels. I appreciate the sentiments and you trying to put things into perspective but nothing you experienced as a football fan is comparable to this. No team has EVER gone 18-0.

This is the worst loss for me as a sports fan. I have never experienced heartache over something so insignificant. They were so close to perfection so close to owning it all, a chance for immortality and the greatest ever. So close to being vindicated for all the sh!t they had to put up with this season. And in less than 5 minutes pissed it all away to become the laughing stock of the league. The one loss of the season being in the last and biggest game in the history of this league and their lives. To get so close and lose it in the end. I'll never get over this and this game will haunt every single player till they die.

True. This was tougher than last season's loss by far. I am so bummed out. Couldn't make it into the office today either. Took a sick day.

It was almost more fun when the team was lousy and eeked out a few well earned wins a season. Or sneaked into the playoffs as a wild card team. We didn't have such high expectations and the losses didn't hurt as bad.

I am considering taking a season off. Get my Sundays back. Spend more time reading or being productive. We put so much into the season between the bulletin boards, watching the games, reading the papers, reading online, going to the sports bar, paying for the NFL Ticket. It just takes over a good part of your life.

I was so convinced of a win. It felt like fate.
I was even dreaming of where the next banner was going to hang at Gillette and adding another T-Shirt to my collection.
A Super Bowl loss by a Brady/Belichick team seemed inconceivable.

It's so rare to have a game like this. If the Pats win, they are the best ever and if they lose it is the biggest upset/choke ever. That's a lot hanging in the balance of 60 minutes of football.

The Indy game last year was almost as hard though. 21-3 at the half in their house, seemed like a sure thing. I had won tickets to the Super Bowl and was so excited to see MY team play there only to watch that dream slip away.....

I don't care- a 16-0 regular season is still pretty damn impressive in my book.
They've still got quite a regular season win streak going back to December 06.

Worse than Buckner? I'm thinking yes. At least then there was a Game 7 to be played.

I don't see how it is possible for the Buckner thing to be worse. But I'm not a baseball person. My dad insists Buckner was worse.

I guess it's an individual thing.

I just wish I could hear something from the Krafts or anyone. Something reassuring. Today has been like a black hole.

True. This was tougher than last season's loss by far. I am so bummed out. Couldn't make it into the office today either. Took a sick day.

It was almost more fun when the team was lousy and eeked out a few well earned wins a season. Or sneaked into the playoffs as a wild card team. We didn't have such high expectations and the losses didn't hurt as bad.

Your post pretty much sums up my day and feelings, so I just quoted it. Right now I don't have the energy or enthusiasm to write more than a few sentences.

I too called in sick...I'm gonna see if I can take bereavement time for this.

As pathetic as this might sound I could care less. I have been in love before and had my heart ripped out by a women. The pain I felt after this loss is akin to that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes