PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Tick Tick Tick 72 hours until free agency, 4 pm Tuesday

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Tick Tick Tick 72 hours until free agency

This is both memory and fact. This one week used to be on the nfl calendar, the time when we could exclusively negotiate with our own free agents.

I don't ahve the time to check transactions. By all means check them. I assure you that every year, we re-sign a few players in the week before free agency.

This one week was never on the calendar. The period between the start of the new league year and the start of FA has always been a time when STILL only existing teams can talk to their own impending FA - even though a new league year has commenced. Because other teams can't talk to them until the start of FA. But then existing teams could always talk to their own FA any time for that matter.

We were talking about your statement that he was getting abused and eaten up by blockers at that point. I was giving you direct quotes to prove that wasn't the case. I agreed with you about his run weakness, with my only argument being that he wasn't getting his fair share for improving on it.
We were talking about run D. I never criticized his pass rush at all.
This is my quote:

Yeah, not real sure what you saw out there that was good run D. When he was out there, which was mostly only after Carter was hurt he was eaten alive by blockers most of the time.

Since he was out there as a pass rusher all year but as a run defender only after Carter was injured, its pretty clear I am talking about run D.

didn't intentionally leave out anything, b/c I was proving that your statement of being eaten alive by blockers was false. At that point we weren't even talking or disputing his run weaknesses. We were talking about something else entirely.

BS. Your sentence right after that quote was
But don't let facts get in the way of many others stating that he improved against the run this yr.
So obviously you were using that comment solely about his pass rush to argue that 'others are saying he improved against the run' when the next line from Howe is that he has been bad against the run.

I'll assume you just didnt read that far, but even if by accident you took the pass rushing analysis out of a quote that says he has been bad against the run all year and tried to throw it in my face as an example of people saying he has improved agaisnt the run.

We should probably drop it at this point. But since its my suggestion, it comes with the offer for you to have the last word. This is getting antagonistic and I've never considered you a poster that I would be antagonistic with, and unfortunately when I disagree my writing style comes out that way whether I intend it (sometimes I do) or not (such as in this case). So hopefully no hard feelings.
Lets hope he comes back and we keep enough guys healthy that we only need to use him at what he does well.

fair enough. I stand corrected. I would note that patsfans.com just posted an article discussing the effect of the low number of re-signings league-wide.

See above, I did check them, and it seems not to be the case.

Last edited:

fair enough. I stand corrected. I would note that patsfans.com just posted an article discussing the effect of the low number of re-signings league-wide.

No biggie, wasnt trying to call you out. I truly was curious, and thought the same thing, but I've learned over the years the way we remember things isn't always the way they went;)

Its a John Morgan article.:confused:
John decided there haven't been a lot of resignings because he counted the resignings and compared them to how many FAs there are. He did no research at all as to how many resignings there have been in other years.

We were talking about run D. I never criticized his pass rush at all.
This is my quote:

Yeah, not real sure what you saw out there that was good run D. When he was out there, which was mostly only after Carter was hurt he was eaten alive by blockers most of the time.

Since he was out there as a pass rusher all year but as a run defender only after Carter was injured, its pretty clear I am talking about run D.

BS. Your sentence right after that quote was
But don't let facts get in the way of many others stating that he improved against the run this yr.
So obviously you were using that comment solely about his pass rush to argue that 'others are saying he improved against the run' when the next line from Howe is that he has been bad against the run.

I'll assume you just didnt read that far, but even if by accident you took the pass rushing analysis out of a quote that says he has been bad against the run all year and tried to throw it in my face as an example of people saying he has improved agaisnt the run.

We should probably drop it at this point. But since its my suggestion, it comes with the offer for you to have the last word. This is getting antagonistic and I've never considered you a poster that I would be antagonistic with, and unfortunately when I disagree my writing style comes out that way whether I intend it (sometimes I do) or not (such as in this case). So hopefully no hard feelings.
Lets hope he comes back and we keep enough guys healthy that we only need to use him at what he does well.

Certainly very fair thoughts, Andy. I appreciate it.

Thread hijacked by an argument.

Color me shocked that andyjohnson was the instigator:rolleyes:

Gentelmen, prepare to be underwhelmed.

I'd be happy to just be whelmed

Thread hijacked by an argument.

Color me shocked that andyjohnson was the instigator:rolleyes:

I'm sorry, I forgot that the board was only supposed to be people smiling at each other and agreeing and debating s football topic is out of bounds.

MODS: Could someone please edit this inaccurate thread title?
Once per hour should do it

Re: Tick Tick Tick 50 hours until free agency

We can add Oshiomogho Atogwe, Mike Sellers, Levi Brown and Kevin Boss to the list of free agents

Redskins released safety Oshiomogho Atogwe and fullback Mike Sellers

Twitter / Adam Schefter: Redskins released safety O ...

Raiders plan to release TE Kevin Boss, who last summer signed a four-year, $16 million deal, including $6 million guaranteed.

Twitter / Adam Schefter: Raiders plan to release TE ...

Cardinals are expected to release OT Levi Brown, whom Arizona selected with the fifth pick in the 2007 draft ahead of RB Adrian Peterson.

Twitter / Adam Schefter: Cardinals are expected to ...

I remember some Raiders fan pimping Boss like he was the second coming. I wonder if that fan will be returning to give us a "my bad".

Re: Tick Tick Tick 22 hours until free agency

And now Eric Winston is also looking for employment

“Unfortunately I have bad news,” Winston wrote. “The Texans have decided to release me today. Although it is a surprise, I have nothing but positive memories and great relationships that I have built over the years. While my future seems uncertain, I am confident I will land on my feet.

http://http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/03/12/texans-cut-eric-winston/

No to restart any arguments in here but I have two pennies so I'm throwin 'em in.

I generally agree with Andy. Anderson might be getting a little over-rated because he was better than people expected him to be. Reminds me a bit of Mr. Moore last year who was similarly surprising and was penciled into most people's roster for this year.

However... I am not sure if PFF is even on the right track but I am happy that somebody is at least trying to apply advanced statistical metrics to football.

Because what I do know is that the stats being used on both sides of the argument are pretty much garbage.

Andy brings up tackles which are the RBI of football. You better make it when you get the chance, but the lack thereof is in itself meaningless.

And on the other hand we have sacks which are the saves of football. A made-up stat that proves nothing more than that you made one good play in a game that featured hundreds.

So because I am not privy to the machinations of our Machiavellian HC, and the grades that they give every player for every play of every game, I will just say IBBWT. He will know if there were tackles to be made that were missed and certainly knows the value of a single sack in the grand scheme of a game.

What PFF should be doing is analyzing the value of every singular play in a game. How much affect does a sack have on the scoring of a game? What is the value of 10 yards of field position?

There is plenty of data to crunch and they've managed to do it for baseball. Tell me exactly what each play is worth statistically and then you can go ahead and figure out which players are better based on what they contributed to that play.

Assessing individual players this way is probably impossible given the constantly moving pieces and permutations on any given play. But the effect of say, a 3-yard run on 2nd and 8 shouldn't be that much different than figuring out what the value of a 1 out double has in leading to a run scored.

Stupid aside over. Please continue.

Anderson might be getting a little over-rated because he was better than people expected him to be.

Which is the basic point of my entire theory.

Andy and I do not seem to agree with this particular issue, and that sometimes happens when people break down nuances of a game or player.

As far as the stats being pointless, I will agree on some level (and agree with Andy too). Sacks can be meaningless, however that argument can apply to any of the major rated DE's and LB's who accomplish them.

My point was that he is still a big liability in the run game, and we all know that; however, I do believe that he improved this year, and it was noticed by many of the announcers and analysts during the stretch run and playoffs. Andy brings up the mediot factor and their tendency to all jump in the same ship, that is certainly a very valid thought. You know you are searching for things when you need to resort to Ron Jaworski's analysis, (which I did) so I can understand that thinking.

Where Andy and I respectfully disagree, is exactly "IF" and "HOW MUCH" he improved against the run. It's hard to judge that based on someone who has shown a weakness in that regard, so I can understand both viewpoints. I will state that I do believe that M.Anderson made some strides vs the run this yr, and that he may have the potential to continue to do that in this system. There were rumors that Pepper Johnson was taking him under his wing a bit, and helping him to search for some offensive lineman's tendancies, while also helping Anderson to break down film better. Only time will tell if Anderson continues to improve (if he did at all), or whether he goes on to show more of the player that he'd become prior to coming here.

At the end of the day, I think most of us can agree that Anderson may be seeking a payday that tends to overrate his skills a bit more, and we see that all of the time when a player makes noise during a year. I think that there's a chance that he understands that he may have flourished in this particular system, and if so--they may be able to come to terms. If not, I don't think any of us are going to run and cry either. At the end of the day I think we all would prefer to see him stay, under the terms of a fair deal.

Last edited:

SF LB RFA Larry Grant will only cost a 7th round pick to sign.

the QB that Murk Slopchez modeled his career after...poor Marky Mark...oh well, maybe the two of them can take some time off and go cruise the USC campus for freshman girls together

Time to abuse the Atogwe topic :D. No, I really don't care who's back there as long as it's not Sergio Brown and Ihedighbo.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents