PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Tom Brady Restructures Contract - shifts $24 million

Status
Not open for further replies.
The cash spending rules cover a four-year period (2013-2016)

Ian and I think that we fixed the Chrome formatting table problem.

Unless there's more to the story, Brady is essentially risking up to $24 million, for an extra $3 million.

And the reason brady agreed to cut his number down from 48 to 24 million?

Maybe it's his way of staying with the team but it's dumb of him to give up more of his money.

?????

Whats been reported, so far, clearly makes it easier to release Brady. $24 million fully guaranteed dollars just disappeared. That's why the rest of the details are important to look at.

Just to be clear, for everyone reading, the money hasn't disappeared. The skill guarantee on that money has.

And, also, to be clear, the total amount that Brady will have received since the day he signed the extension has not decreased; it has gone up by $3 million.

Just to be clear, for everyone reading, the money hasn't disappeared. The skill guarantee on that money has.

And, also, to be clear, the total amount that Brady will have received since the day he signed the extension has not decreased; it has gone up by $3 million.

As I just posted in Miguel's explanation thread, and based only on what we know so far, Brady is essentially risking the loss of up to $24 million that had been guaranteed, in return for an extra $3 million.

"..Giselle...I think I'm going to take a risk on this 24 million to see if I can make an extra 3 million...what do you think?.."

"...go ahead honey, I'm making at least a 100 million the next two years and you know I already am worth three times what you are, sweetheart...go ahead, we can donate it to one of my charities..."

What risk? The pats are not going to release in 2015. If the pats are going to get rid of Brady in 2015, they are going to trade him

What risk? The pats are not going to release in 2015. If the pats are going to get rid of Brady in 2015, they are going to trade him

There's always a risk, and it's higher with this team than, perhaps, any other.

There's always a risk, and it's higher with this team than, perhaps, any other.
There is no chance that the Pats will get rid of Brady in 2015 AND get nothing (draft picks or players) in return.

FYI - I have merged my article post in the existing Brady thread.

There is no chance that the Pats will get rid of Brady in 2015 AND get nothing (draft picks or players) in return.

Miguel, seriously, I'm not going to argue this.

The terms are the terms, unless there's more that hasn't been reported. I didn't claim the Patriots were lining up trade partners or frothing at the mouth to get rid of Brady, but a fully guaranteed $24 million is no longer that.

So not much changed regarding trading Brady. Nonetheless, here it is.

June 2nd, 2016 (can be traded before this date with same result. Credit to ctpatsfan77):

39 year old Tom Brady vs. 3rd year Jimmy Garoppolo + 9 million cap space + draft pick(s) from a Brady trade

If Jimmy G pans out, that's a legitimate decision to be made.

Last edited:

So as I understand it this move apparently makes little sense for either the Pats or Brady:

- The Pats don't have to put $24M into escrow, but it's not clear why that would truly be important to them; they add $1M of additional cap space in each of the next 3 years, and cap space is tight for 2015; and they make it easier to trade or cut Brady, which doesn't really seem like something they would want to do next year.

- Brady gets $3M extra, which isn't a lot of money for him; he makes it easier for the team to trade him, which doesn't make a lot of sense; and he loses the written guarantee of $24M for skill

There are only a couple of scenarios which make sense of this for me:

1. The Pats and Brady have agreed to amicably part ways in the near future, and are making it easier for each other. I find this very hard to believe.

2. The Pats and Brady are VERY secure about the next 3 years together and the team wants a VERY large chunk of cash immediately available to make an aggressive up front play for someone, with Revis the overwhelmingly obvious candidate. They are willing to raise Brady's cap hit by $1M because they will recoup much, much more than that in lowering Revis' cap hit with a long term extension.

Am I missing something?

Last edited:
As I just posted in Miguel's explanation thread, and based only on what we know so far, Brady is essentially risking the loss of up to $24 million that had been guaranteed, in return for an extra $3 million.

Brady wants to cement his legacy. He doesn't want to be sitting on a bench while Garoppolo plays, he doesn't want to retire, and he doesn't want to finish his career by being traded to a 2–14 team. What he's gambling on is that if the Patriots decide to move on, he will be able to choose his next team as a UFA, and will make at least as much money, if not more.

So not much changed regarding trading Brady. Nontheless, here it is.

June 2nd, 2016:

As a minor point, they do have the ability to trade him before that date and treat it as a post-June 1 transaction.

Brady wants to cement his legacy. He doesn't want to be sitting on a bench somewhere, he doesn't want to retire, and he doesn't want to finish his career on a 2–14 team. What he's gambling on is that if the Patriots decide to move on, he will be able to choose his next team as a UFA, and will make at least as much money, if not more.

Please explain how the reported adjustments make it more difficult to trade Brady.

Brady wants to cement his legacy. He doesn't want to be sitting on a bench while Garoppolo plays, he doesn't want to retire, and he doesn't want to finish his career by being traded to a 2–14 team. What he's gambling on is that if the Patriots decide to move on, he will be able to choose his next team as a UFA, and will make at least as much money, if not more.
i basically agree with your thinking

i just wonder if they would do him the favor of releasing him/trading him to a team that he likes, as opposed to just trading him to the team that gives the best offer.....like seymour

the former seems out of character......but maybe this is their show of respect for him....

Please explain how the reported adjustments make it more difficult to trade Brady.

It makes it easier for the Patriots, but it does make it slightly harder for the other team involved: since teams need to have the current salary cap hit available on their cap to complete the trade, it now costs an extra $1M on the new team's cap.

That said, IMO, this move leads to one of two conclusions:

(1) Brady believes the upside of the move outweighs the downside.
(2) Brady doesn't believe that, but did it anyways.

Somehow, (2) doesn't ring true with me.

It makes it easier for the Patriots, but it does make it slightly harder for the other team involved: since teams need to have the current salary cap hit available on their cap to complete the trade, it now costs an extra $1M on the new team's cap.

That said, IMO, this move leads to one of two conclusions:

(1) Brady believes the upside of the move outweighs the downside.
(2) Brady doesn't believe that, but did it anyways.

Somehow, (2) doesn't ring true with me.

Again, I'm not going to argue this, and I'm not saying anything about the intelligence of making the deal. The terms are the terms. Assuming we know everything that was changed in the agreement, Brady is more easily cut. Brady is not more difficult to trade. Brady has $24 million dollars which is no longer fully guaranteed, and the Brady payout in return is $3 million.

So, again, according to what we know now, Brady has put $24 million at risk for the sake of an extra $3 million.

Brady clearly doesn't have an issue with this, otherwise he wouldn't have agreed to do it. Not sure why anyone else does

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes