PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Waters' Locker Cleaned Out (Update: Reports Nameplate Taken Down)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Come on Ken - the very fact that you are having to speculate means you don't know what the hell is going on (the same as all of us).

This means (just like the rest of us) you have no idea about the possible ramifications of one side going public with the inside scoop.

Its an odd situation for sure but I trust the Patriots are doing their very best for the franchise (and by extension the fans).
I'm not speculating on anything. I don't know anything.....and that is the point. At this stage, there is really no longer any need to to keep me or any of us in the dark about what is going on. Just simply tell us! We aren't going to think any less of any of the parties (well most of us won't ;) ) I just do not see the any benefit that is derived by keeping us in the dark. If I did, I'd be fine with it.

That closed lip policy does get pretty annoying sometimes depending on the circumstances. The time where it most pissed me off was in 2008 when Brady went down and we got no updates on it until halftime of the Sunday night game.

Wait so the time that it most pissed you off was one of the few times where they actually did provide some insight earlier then they normally would. Had that injury been to anyone other then Tom it would have been a few days before anything was said by the Pats.

Wait so the time that it most pissed you off was one of the few times where they actually did provide some insight earlier then they normally would. Had that injury been to anyone other then Tom it would have been a few days before anything was said by the Pats.

IIRC, the insight that was provided was more through guys like Schefter. The Patriots didn't release any official word until that night.

So, is this officially a holdout maybe?

He's still under contract? From whats been said, Waters may come back for his contract price, $1.4 million this season but the Pats want to pay him the veteran minimum.

They are putting Brady's health at risk for this? Getting him at this price is a steal.

Last edited:

He's still under contract? From whats been said, Waters may come back for his contract price, $1.4 million this season but the Pats want to pay him the veteran minimum.

They are putting Brady's health at risk for this? Getting him at this price is a steal.
I just saw that. Good God I hope that report isn't true. They're going to get Brady killed over $500,000?

just heard that. bad idea.

I heard this on Mut and Lou, and I think it has to be a miscommunication. That makes no sense, because if he wants to play for the contract he's already signed for, why doesn't he just show up and force their hand? You don't hold out when you want to play for your existing contract, because they can't force you to sign a new one. They either pay you, or cut you. I think whoever reported that got their wires crossed.

I'm not speculating on anything. I don't know anything.....and that is the point. At this stage, there is really no longer any need to to keep me or any of us in the dark about what is going on. Just simply tell us! We aren't going to think any less of any of the parties (well most of us won't ;) ) I just do not see the any benefit that is derived by keeping us in the dark. If I did, I'd be fine with it.

considering all the 'just pay welker', 'kraft is cheap' etc etc threads we have seen over the years.... if it is about money then it is in the pats interest to keep folks in the dark and not have the media writing story after story about his situation. That is one possible benefit.

Personnally, if Waters had any of the supposed issues folks have talked about (money, trade, only wants to play 10 games) - why doesn't he say something to the media???? hmmm

Could be it is in HIS BEST INTEREST, just the same as it is BB's BEST INTEREST to say NOTHING. Maybe they have a deal that skirts the roster rules - shadow roster whatever you want to call it. Maybe Waters has some personal situation in his life he really doesnt want splashed all over the ESPN pages. Who knows.

Regardless; BB has shown more times than not that his information withholding has good reasons (for example, injury [head-hunting] lists anyone).

man do I hope he signs soon. Pay him the 1.4 M.

man do I hope he signs soon. Pay him the 1.4 M.

Again, THINK about this. If they weren't willing to carry him at $1.4 million, all he has to do is SHOW UP and they're either A) forced to pay him that money. Or B) cut him and he's free to go wherever he wants for however much people are willing to pay him. Do you think the Patriots have locked him out or something? Last I checked, they can't do that and not have him count against the 53. He doesn't, so he's the one holding out, which again, he has NO reason to do if he's willing to play for the existing $1.4 million.

well the good news is... nevermind .. its all bad

The benefit lies in the policy of communication.
You can't pick and choose which topics are OK to open up about, because then by default you are saying something about the ones you do not.
I am quite certain that Bill Belichick sees no competitive advantage whatsoever in talking or not talking about Waters at this point.
I am also quite sure he sees a competitive advantage in never discussing such internal matters publicly.
What good could come from talking publicly about it?
What if he said something that Waters disputed, or was offended by, or simply misunderstood and responded negatively to?
What if by speaking about Waters, it creates questions in the future about players that there is a good reason to not disclose, and the fact that he speaks about some and not others creates a level of dissention?

You can't pick and choose when a policy or belief matters and when it doesn't because then the policy becomes make it up as you go. That, in its own small way, separates BB from many others.

Tannenbaum was on Mike and Mike this morning and he basically answered every question by trying to pursuade everyone how great the Jets are.
I will take our guy every day of the week.

Looks like chances of Waters retuning to NE has been lowered to 0%

It also appears that the Texans or Cowboys are not interested or we would have heard reports of them wanting his services or he simply told them he is not interesting in playing anymore.

I think Waters is a big family man and has enough cash to retire and live considerably comfortable while still being young enough to enjoy time with his kids and wife.......I think his career is over.

I don't blame him,he has given his all for years and years and has been great.

Last edited:
Again, THINK about this. If they weren't willing to carry him at $1.4 million, all he has to do is SHOW UP and they're either A) forced to pay him that money. Or B) cut him and he's free to go wherever he wants for however much people are willing to pay him. Do you think the Patriots have locked him out or something? Last I checked, they can't do that and not have him count against the 53. He doesn't, so he's the one holding out, which again, he has NO reason to do if he's willing to play for the existing $1.4 million.

That's the first thing I thought of when i heard the report. This doesn't make sense.

Waters is the 54th man on the roster. The wink nod agreement must have been if needed he will show. Right now the youth will be given a chance to preform. Other wise some one would have spoken up by now...

Looks like chances of Waters retuning to NE has been lowered to 0%

It also appears that the Texans or Cowboys are not interested or we would have heard reports of them wanting his services or he simply told them he is not interesting in playing anymore.

I think Waters is a big family man and has enough cash to retire and live considerably comfortable while still being young enough to enjoy time with his kids and wife.......I think his career is over.

I don't blame him,he has given his all for years and years and has been great.

I wouldnt blame him either.. except why not just come out and say it, Im retired?

And as fiscally smart as the Patriots can be, theres no way Im convinced they dont want to pay Waters his 1.4m contract. Its a one year deal and hes worth every penny.

Last edited:
What I find curious and perhaps unconscionable, is that NEITHER side has the courtesy to tell the anxious public WTF is going on. If Waters wants a to force a trade to stay closer to home, FINE!. Just let us know. If he he wants more money. FINE! Just let us know. If he only wants to play around 10 games this season, then F....well you get the idea.

I really think at this stage of the game that its incumbent on someone who knows what's going on will bother to tell the very curious fans of this team what we should expect. Its the nothingness that ticks me off. It just seems so unnecessary to leave us with nothing but baseless speculation. What's the harm in letting us know

Let me be the first to welcome you as a newbie fan of Bill Belichick's New England Patriots. You will soon learn that even the most trivial pieces of information that could even slightly affect a competitor's expectation of what the Patriots will, could or might do is held to the strictest standards of security, far more secure than Seal team deep black operations. This has been an enduring yet frustrating feature of 21st century Patriots culture.

It is what it is.

I wouldnt blame either.. except why not just come out and say it, Im retired?

And as fiscally smart as the Patriots can be, theres no way Im convinced they dont want to pay Waters his 1.4m contract. Its a one year deal and hes worth every penny.

Yeah, none of it make sense. Something is not adding up, and we probably won't know until some insider squeals..

I wouldnt blame him either.. except why not just come out and say it, Im retired?

Some guys simply never announce they retired...they just leave the game.

I can't recall Ty Law or Willie McGinest ever pronouncing they are done...they just quietly tiptoed away from the game.

I think Waters may be like those guys,Although I am sure the F.O. knew it was inevitable until they made the locker move yesterday.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes