PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

"Weaponize the offense"

They aren’t turning the boat around in year one of a new regime. If they can win 6 games next year that would be a pleasant surprise

I think we should reserve judgment.
ya think?

We are not even 4 hours into the first free agency of a rebuild.

As happens every year, some want us to sign several overpriced Day 1 signees.

We have quietly re-signed all of our free agents that we wanted and have replaced the rest. In addition, we added our starting QB for 2024.
======
And, yes, we still have $50M in cap room and almost all the OT still available, and lots, lots more at other positions.

I still expect us to sign or trade for a LT, a S, a WR, and a STer.
=====
I expect that the early draft will be the most predictable in years: a QB, an OT or two and a WR.

ya think?

We have quietly re-signed all of our free agents that we wanted and have replaced the rest. In addition, we added our starting QB for 2024.
======
And, yes, we still have $50M in cap room and almost all the OT still available, and lots, lots more at other positions.

=====
I expect that the early draft will be the most predictable in years: a QB, an OT or two and a WR.
status quo on a 4 win team isn't exactly exciting.

They should focus on qb and lt in this draft. Wr will have to wait till next year.

Otherwise trade back, get Joe alt and then make decisions based on talent for wr and qb with the next 2 picks.
Get with the Times upcoming Draft is the Best for WR's in years gotta Triple Dip now.

Last edited:
status quo on a 4 win team isn't exactly exciting.
I understand.

Consider that all the injured from last year that will be returning, and that all of our free agents have been re-signed or replaced.

Our top Defense should be even better this year.

We have replaced Mac jones with Brissette.

We have coaching staff that is working together.

We will draft a QB in first round, likely top 7.
=======================
Many said that the difference last year was QB play, and that with even mediocre QB ply would would have been contenders to the playoffs.
==========
BOTTOM LINE
We have a long way to go. But we have come a long way so far and have $50M left of cap space and the draft.

ya think?

======

=====
Oh **** off

There is no mystery I have been clamoring for a WR for years. I would Trade #3 for a haul go WR First on Offense then a second tier QB like Nix or Pennix Jr. We need to develop WR now!

There is no mystery I have been clamoring for a WR for years. I would Trade #3 for a haul go WR First on Offense then a second tier QB like Nix or Pennix Jr. We need to develop WR now
This is not an unreasonable plan if we aren't sold that the QB available at 3 is a franchise QB.
==========
BASICALLY, for me, there is three questions.

QUESTION ONE
Who is available at 3?

QUESTION TWO
How far are we willing to risk trading down? This depends on which QB's we want and when we expect them to be drafted. Some would say don't trade down if our choice is McCarthy, since he could very well get picked at 5 or 6. If we are OK with Nix and also Penix, it might be OL to trade down as far as 10.

QUESTION THREE
Is the compensation worth the risk.

I could certainly see us being OK with Nix or Penix and trading down to 10. And yes, the extra pick or two could be welll used at WR or OT.

This is not an unreasonable plan if we aren't sold that the QB available at 3 is a franchise QB.
==========
BASICALLY, for me, there is three questions.

QUESTION ONE
Who is available at 3?

QUESTION TWO
How far are we willing to risk trading down? This depends on which QB's we want and when we expect them to be drafted. Some would say don't trade down if our choice is McCarthy, since he could very well get picked at 5 or 6. If we are OK with Nix and also Penix, it might be OL to trade down as far as 10.

QUESTION THREE
Is the compensation worth the risk.

I could certainly see us being OK with Nix or Penix and trading down to 10. And yes, the extra pick or two could be welll used at WR or OT.
MH Jr.

The lack of freakin' patience by some of the fan base is mind numbing.
Do It Now Hurry Up GIF by Leroy Patterson

Why should we be patient? We haven't won a playoff game in half a decade. Last I checked this wasn't the Cardinals.
LOL, no - it's a bad football team, horribly devoid of talent in a free agent market that isn't necessarily deep at positions of need, while also trying to lure guys here after finishing at the bottom of the league without a true #1 quarterback, and a coach without a resume.

So it's - unfortunately - going to take time. Thankfully, the defense should be their strength again in 2024 and if they can draft an impact wideout, see some growth and potentially see some starts late in the year by whoever they draft at QB next month, maybe they'll have something heading into 2025. But this is a bad, bad roster. And it's going to take more than one offseason to fix it.

My hope is this:

24’ Notable improvement in play, start playing the really good teams much tougher, win 7-8 games

25’ 10-7 11/6 Get into the playoffs, hopefully win a game

26’ Become an actual contender, win the division, be a team the others don’t want to face.

Can they accomplish those goals? Yes.

Will they accomplish those goals? We will see?
There are going to have to hit on a LT and a franchise QB while maintaining a top 10 D to reach those goals. Im thinking they have to pay over market prices to attract top tier FAs and I don't know if these guys will do that.

It's going to be a long long rebuild. And people just don't have the patience for it.

If this was Draft Day and they, say, picked all defensive players, I could see getting irritated. It's March 13th 2024. This rebuild is going to take a 2-3 years at least and that's if they knock every roster decision out of the park.

Relax. Take a couple of deep breaths and buckle in. It's going to be a long ride.
Drafting well is becoming even more important to get these guys on rookie deals instead of these insane free agents signings for mediocre players

There are going to have to hit on a LT and a franchise QB while maintaining a top 10 D to reach those goals. Im thinking they have to pay over market prices to attract top tier FAs and I don't know if these guys will do that.
Kind of like the Celtics. You gotta draft well. Not many players are gonna come here willingly

2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots WR Javon Baker Conference Call
TRANSCRIPT: Layden Robinson Conference Call
MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
Back