PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

PostGame Thread Week 1 OFFICIAL Post-Game Thread: Patriots lose close to the Eagles

Immediate Postgame Reactions
We are a bottom of the barrel Team now Good Teams are kind of looking past us knowing we'll find a way to lose to be continued...
Some sad losers on here. Actively cheering on the Pats to drop an L so they can whine like a Jets fan. Time for you to go away and find another forum to poison.

The pats had 25 pressures as a team. That's more than any team that played the eagles last year. Lane Johnson gave up 6 pressures. The most he gave up in a game last year was 3.

judon 6 pressures
barmore 4 pressures
white 4 pressures
uche 4 pressures
wise 3 pressures

They are going to destroy some mediocre OLs this season.
Including a mediocre one next week. Mediocre is like, their ceiling at the moment.

The main assumption you're making is that our OL opens up running lanes. I have yet to see that optimism justified. My main worry with our offense STARTS with that OL!
Stop. That was the best front 4 in the league the Patriots played yesterday, and I'm perfectly fine with BoB being a gameplan coach, and not banging his head against that brick wall.

Some posters seem to think that the team won every game at the start of the season during the brady era, thats not true at all. Even under brady the team would start out slow and build up momentum.
yeah I dont get whats going on here.

The Eagles are a really good complete Team. But Miami have a Top 3 Offense. They can score in Seconds if we make dumb mistakes against them the Game will be over by Half Time. None of the HC's in our Division fears BB they can more than match wits.
What do you think the Eagles offense was ranked last year?

Hint: Higher than the Dolphins.

BTW. We dumped Meyers who had a great day with the Raiders catching 2 TDs and several other passes. Unfortunately, he is in concussion protocol from being hit late in the game. He and Jimmy G worked together as well as Mac Jones did with him. IMO, JuJu was a bust yesterday, 4 of 7 catches for 33 yards with a big noncatch.
We didn't 'dump' him. We were the ones who took him as an UDFA and paid him for four years, including an RFA tender. We coached him up and we played him a lot. When he hit the market as a FA, he got a strong offer from McDaniels and da Raiders and took it.

Oh, and he got a dumb-ass taunting penalty during yesterday's game.

We didn't 'dump' him. We were the ones who took him as an UDFA and paid him for four years, including an RFA tender. We coached him up and we played him a lot. When he hit the market as a FA, he got a strong offer from McDaniels and da Raiders and took it.

Oh, and he got a dumb-ass taunting penalty during yesterday's game.
Myers really benefited from having Adams on the other side. Surtain covered Adams and Myers could be a true #2 receiver. He crushed it.

Some posters seem to think that the team won every game at the start of the season during the brady era, thats not true at all. Even under brady the team would start out slow and build up momentum.
Stat Line for Tom Brady's first game of the year in his third year as starting quarterback... 31-0 Loss to the Bills ...

NAMEDATETMOPPRATECMPATTPCTYDSAVGTDTD%INTINT%SCKSCKY
Tom Brady9/7/2003NE@BUF22.5142850.01234.400.0414.3220

That’s happening to them again? Last year they were decimated by OL injuries.

Who’s injured?
Armistead, I heard. And they've got Wynn starting, so you know they're in trouble.

Looking at last week’s injury report their LG and C were gimpy but practiced. Only their LT Terron Armstead was out.

Miami does have better talent and depth this year on their OL, having acquired center Connor Williams from Dallas and our ole Isaiah Wynn, who is backing up Eichenberg at LG.

Anyone know the status of Armstead?

Miami is more talented on offense than the Eagles. Not so much on their defense. I think the Dolphins' defense is overrated. For some reason, people think they were going to be this elite defense because they brought in Vic Fangio. They don't have a great pass rush and last year they were close to the bottom in points allowed and not off to a good start in that category this year.

I don't think much of either Hurts or Tua without the talent around them, but both guys have two #1 WRs to throw to. I think Tua has better receivers because Hill might be the 1-3 best WRs in the league.
HuH? The Miami offense isn't even CLOSE to the Eagles zip code if you consider all 11 offensive players. They MIGHT be better at 2 of the WR positions with Tyrick and Waddle. MIGHT be, Smith and Brown are not shabby either. But comparing their OL, QB, RB's and TE, and the Eagles have the better roster at all those spots. Maybe that will change this year, but as of today, Rob, your take is an overreaction.

But you are right their defense just might be overrated. They allowed the Chargers over 450 yds of offense. Over 225 on the ground. Vic Fangio is a fantastic DC with a proven system that has evolved over time, and it can fool lots of offenses. And maybe the Dophins will get better at it over time. But NOTHING he does will be new to the Pats staff. And the Pats have already shown they can match up against explosive offenses.

But in last weeks game the Phins didn't run the ball much about 60-70yds or so IIRC. They are going to be a pass first offense and their OL held up pretty well. LA rushes well from the edge with Bosa and the Mack, but who else do they have. The Pats got pressure on Hurts from several areas and the Pats got a LOT of team pressures on him and got him to move off his spot. Tua doesn't have NEARLY the kind of mobility that Hurts has.

Hill IS a top 3 WR in the league. But you know who has had some success with him in the past, Jon Jones. And you might try Gonzales on occasion and make Tua have throw OVER that 6'3 frame to the 5'10 Hill. Even if he gets a step, it is often difficult to drop it in over someone..

The Pats aren't going to stop them. But they ARE going to stone their ground game which isn't all that great to begin with. They are going to "control" Hill and Waddle much better than SD did. You can actually shut down ANY WR by doubling him well and doing it in different ways. Disguise will play a bigger part in this game.. You can say Let hill have his 150-200 yd game and shut down everyone else. But in SOME way you want to keep their passing total to around 300yds, but vastly limit their big plays, IIRC I read Miami had some absurd double digit number of 20+yd passing gains.

There are a number of different strategies you can use and hopefully we will discuss them all over this next week.

The Patriots never had back to back 1-3 starts when Tom Brady was quarterback...did they???

Well with the knee-jerk reactions out of the way (including mine) I'm just glad we can complain/overeact/over hype the team.
Football season is the best

The Chargers are not a super talented team. Herbert is certainly more talented than Mac, but the skill positions about equal to ours.
And even so, they put up 34pts and ran for 234 on the Dolphins. So we should be able to get the run game going, and play ToP.
I also think our Front 7 and Secondary are better units than the Chargers, and don't expect them to pass for over 300yds.
They'll get their plays, but Tua ain't running no more, so we can play nickle more and bracket Hill.

Thinking about this a day later -

This is Mac's second year (last year doesn't count). If he can just get to that next level, I believe we can compete with the best of them and beat them as well.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/9: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/8: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 5/7: News and Notes
What Did Tom Brady Say During His Netflix Roast?  Here’s the Full Transcript
What Did Drew Bledsoe Say at Tom Brady’s Netflix Roast? Here’s the Full Transcript
What Did Belichick Say at Tom Brady’s Netflix Roast?  Here’s the Full Transcript
Monday Patriots Notebook 5/6: News and Notes
Tom Brady Sustains, Dishes Some Big Hits on Netflix Roast Special
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
Back