PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Week 9: Other Games

Will Levis first 6 quarters in the league is better than anything Mac Jones has done in 6 consecutive quarters.
Even Levis's unclutch game ending INT close to the EZ was more spectacular than anything Mac has done.

That being said, C'mon - Mac's had some great 6 quarter stretches. One point during his rookie season he threw for 84% ~400yds 4TDs 0INTs over a stretch like that. It's why the Patty and Judge experiment was so criminal - that and as someone else said, his getting into the Pro Bowl was a negative and probably got to his head... and I'm talking as someone who wants to see what Zappe could bring with a full week of practice as a starter with packages tailored to his preferences (as Cassel has mentioned).

Man... Pickens must be so pissed off: 2 recs for -1yds on 5 tgts (including one where Pickett air mailed him that would've gone for a lot). This after 1 rec for 22yds on 5 tgts last game.

Al Michaels is washed, I know he's old balls but it's just sad to see.
Oh I don't know. The Al Michaels 'I just don't give a ****, just cut the check, Amazon' arc is awfully entertaining at times.

Pickett wins games in the 2nd half. Something Mac can't seem to do.

This is not a defense of Mac Jones in any way, but Pickett winning games in the second half is so overrated. He wins games in the second half in games when he plays awful and the Steelers defense holds the opposing team under 17 points and Pickett can mount one good drive all game. If the Titans had an offense last night, Pickett would never have been in position to have a game winning drive. And even after the Steelers took the lead, the Titans had two possessions to get a touchdown and the lead and went four and out lost on downs on one drive and had the ball intercepted on the Pittsburgh 19 on the next.

If the Steelers didn't have a great defense, Pickett would be the worst QB in the NFL hands down. He has had one game in his entire career so far where he has thrown for two TDs. Only one in 21 starts. He has never had a three or more TD game. He has had nine games in 21 starts where he didn't throw for a single TD.

Last edited:
Oh I don't know. The Al Michaels 'I just don't give a ****, just cut the check, Amazon' arc is awfully entertaining at times.
There's been a similar thing happen in the UK with the guy that fronted Sky Sports' coverage of the Premier League, a guy called Martin Tyler.

He'd been the voice of the Premier League since it came into being in the early 90's but over the last 5-10 years you could hear his enthusiasm waning with each game, virtually.

He left at the end of the last season and has been replaced by someone you US fans will likely know, Peter Drury. It's been a major upgrade thankfully and the games and great goals aren't being ruined by someone who sounds like he's watching his wife getting steam-trained by a neighbour.

This is not a defense of Mac Jones in any way, but Pickett winning games in the second half is so overrated. He wins games in the second half in games when he plays awful and the Steelers defense holds the opposing team under 17 points and Pickett can mount one good drive all game. If the Titans had an offense last night, Pickett would never have been in position to have a game winning drive. And even after the Steelers took the lead, the Titans had two possessions to get a touchdown and the lead and went four and out on one drive and had the ball intercepted on the Pittsburgh 19 on the next.

If the Steelers didn't have a great defense, Pickett would be the worst QB in the NFL hands down. He has had one game in his entire career so far where he has thrown for two TDs. Only one in 21 starts. He has never three or more TD game. He has had nine games in 21 starts where he didn't throw for a single TD.

For people that think this crap play and clutch comeback stuff is sustainable and a sign that he’ll improve, reminder they said the same thing about Sanchez and Tebow.

For people that think this crap play and clutch comeback stuff is sustainable and a sign that he’ll improve, reminder they said the same thing about Sanchez and Tebow.

There needs to be a distinction between coming back from 21-3 or even 24-10 and coming back from 10-3 to win 13-10 or 16-13.

There needs to be a distinction between coming back from 21-3 or even 24-10 and coming back from 10-3 to win 13-10 or 16-13.
Why? Only thing that matters is the dub.

As mediocre as Sanchez was, he did win several shootouts and had four games where he threw three TDs in 2010 (his second season). I don't think Pickett could do that.

Why? Only thing that matters is the dub.

Well on one hand it IS nice to have the clutch gene.

On the other hand your qb put up 7 or 10 points until 2 minutes left.

Its still not franchise qb material or what any fan should want, imo.

Pitt is winning because their roster is solid despite having Pickett as their QB. When they do find "the guy" at QB, they will be ready to win playoff games again.

Pitt is winning because their roster is solid despite having Pickett as their QB. When they do find "the guy" at QB, they will be ready to win playoff games again.

I agree, if they do find the guy before watt starts to decline. That defense is asked to do probably even more than ours and they still deliver. They are historically a franchise that takes longer to move on though so as long as they are winning 9 or 10 games they will stick with kenny at least till his rookie contract runs out. And probably canada too, whos probably not as bad as people say but he still does hold them back to a degree.

I really hope Hill torches the Chiefs ...

Is Pickett even clutch or is he just scoring TD drives in the fourth quarter after sucking for most of the game? There is a difference between scoring a TD with five minutes left that gives you the lead and leading your team down to win the game on a drive that starts with 2-3 minutes left in the game. Last night, the Steelers game winning TD drive started with 9:13 left in the game. That is more than a full half of a quarter left. I don't consider that a clutch drive.

My point is that Tennessee and Pittsburgh both being 4-4 is better than one of them going to 5-3.
Looking at the standings, even if Pats win and Raiders lose, they'll remain in the cellar. I doubt Colts lose to the awful Panthers.

The numbers in red are the SOS rankings for the remaining games. Both HOU and IND have some of the easiest remaining games. CLE and PIT aren't far behind. Pats are middle of the pack, as are the Jets.

I see the top 12 teams all jocking for a playoff spot, with the bottom 4 basically being out. Although anything is possible.

Screenshot_20231103_094350_Sports.jpg

Idk. Think about how many ugly games in the last 3 seasons we wish we could've won. If we would've had 7 gwd instead of 2, a lot of the threads being written now would disappear. At the end of the day, the only stat that matters is the dub. Sure, nobody is saying that makes that player a franchise QB, but a win is a win.

Is Pickett even clutch or is he just scoring TD drives in the fourth quarter after sucking for most of the game? There is a difference between scoring a TD with five minutes left that gives you the lead and leading your team down to win the game on a drive that starts with 2-3 minutes left in the game. Last night, the Steelers game winning TD drive started with 9:13 left in the game. That is more than a full half of a quarter left. I don't consider that a clutch drive.

I would say hes pretty clutch ill give him that hes led alot of last minute drives. but if he plays like ass for 3.5 quarters that wont get it done against the better teams. In which case the Steelers usually just get blown out.

Then you need to take that up with the NFL because the definition of a 4QC and GWD as a stat hasn't changed. Ever hear of the term "winning ugly?" (not a stat).

Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Back